Do folks notice or not?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Do folks notice or not?

Post by rick401r »

r.m.anderson wrote:
Darryl wrote: Plan to get a new iron and board anyway, which will help me touch up the pleats. I may try just a dab of spray-on starch if they still make it. We shall see. For now I just laid it flat and tweaked the pleats.
Aye be careful with that iron (ironing board OK) on kilted material.
I use one of those steamers on my kilts. There's no direct contact with the material. I just pull the pleat tight and run the steam over the length of it. Move to the next pleat, repeat the process.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Has anyone ever had a comment on how well ironed your skirt/kilt looks?
Just asking.
Steve.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

So far I've just been straightening them out and ... resetting(?) them by hand, then kinda patting them down. We shall see.

Well...yesterday's jaunt involved some smiles and looks and even 5 ladies actually asking what the occasion was. (Full kilt with kilt-pin, sporran and kilt-belt under a white dress shirt wearing a plaid jacket with hoodie and black fleece-lined tights and black dress shoes.) Answer: Just got it, so I have to wear it. :D

Today, same outfit but changed the white dress shirt to a black knit polo shirt and changed from the Old Navy plaid jacket to a blue Hilfigger jacket with red trim.

Smiles and a few looks as I went about, went to work to switch out a computer, went to the grocery and so on. No questions, though I had been in the affluent East End yesterday and was in the University of Louisville area (just south of the campus, at the Kroger) today. Girl Scouts saw me coming and were all over me like white on rice. I bought four boxes and said I didn't need them bagged. One young lady disregarded that, bagged them anyway and presented them to me with a flourish and a big smile.

So. Good salesmanship with or without any 'magic' from the kilt.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I've always been of the opinion that everyone notices, but next to no one actively responds to what they see. As someone who not only wears skirts in public, but heels and totes a handbag, I know I give people ample reason to respond, either positively or negatively, but that almost never happens as people are often too wrapped up in their own lives and affairs to give a skirt wearing man the time of day.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Oh, c'mon, some people don't notice. Like, when you go out, do you notice what everyone else is wearing?

But it's true that most people give you a passing glance at most and then go about their own lives and affairs,
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Caultron wrote:Oh, c'mon, some people don't notice. Like, when you go out, do you notice what everyone else is wearing?
Well, perhaps I base things on my own experiences, but yes, I do notice what others wear, especially women since I take mental notes to put together outfits based on what I see. But, I guess I'm unique. Heh! :lol:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

JeffB1959 wrote:...I do notice what others wear, especially women since I take mental notes to put together outfits based on what I see...
I, too, look at what other people wearing skirts do and look for ideas. And some people do obviously notice me as I pass by. But vast numbers either don't notice or show no reaction.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

JeffB1959 wrote:
Caultron wrote:Oh, c'mon, some people don't notice. Like, when you go out, do you notice what everyone else is wearing?
Well, perhaps I base things on my own experiences, but yes, I do notice what others wear, especially women since I take mental notes to put together outfits based on what I see. But, I guess I'm unique. Heh! :lol:
I thought this too, but then I think back to the day I was actively looking, and I thought to myself, ( more than once ) "If he can wear that, in public and no-one says anything, my skirt should be no issue"

I notice stuff that is intended to be noticed, and things that just work, in a stylish, and classy fashion. That's what I'm attracted to, and is how I want to appear. I think I'm with Carl on this, mostly I'm happy to blend, but sometimes I want to "make a statement" and have people notice in a good way.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

partlyscot wrote:I notice stuff that is intended to be noticed, and things that just work, in a stylish, and classy fashion. That's what I'm attracted to, and is how I want to appear.
Me too.
Partly scoot wrote:I think I'm with Carl on this, mostly I'm happy to blend, but sometimes I want to "make a statement" and have people notice in a good way.
Well, sure, when people do notice, we all want it to be in a good way. Surprised, maybe, but then accepting, and having an over-all good look surely helps with that.

caultron
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

JeffB1959 wrote: Well, perhaps I base things on my own experiences, but yes, I do notice what others wear, especially women since I take mental notes to put together outfits based on what I see. But, I guess I'm unique. Heh! :lol:
Me too, and whilst most men would probably be checking out a womans looks or possible her 'rack' i look at the skirt or dress she's wearing to get ideas
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Reaper_Man wrote:
JeffB1959 wrote: Well, perhaps I base things on my own experiences, but yes, I do notice what others wear, especially women since I take mental notes to put together outfits based on what I see. But, I guess I'm unique. Heh! :lol:
Me too, and whilst most men would probably be checking out a womans looks or possible her 'rack' i look at the skirt or dress she's wearing to get ideas
And I also take surreptitious notice of her footwear, then see if I can find something similar in my size.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Same here, and I also keep a look out for men in skirts!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Last Saturday I did some shopping at our local Asda/Walmart.
I was wearing a denim mini and swear, I got no looks whatsoever. Today I repeated the exercise dressed almost identically. The only difference was that my skirt today is just below knee length. No comments but plenty looks and double takes. Oddly the ones I registered most were from the older generation.
I've no idea why the mini was less visible, it certainly doesn't look, even vaguely, like a pair of shorts..
Steve.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Wait a few days and you maybe the star attraction of "The People of Wal*Mart" !
Someone must have noticed and clipped a picture of the event - there are now
so many ways to take photos these days that the KGB Ruesski's would be embarrassed
by their old fashioned methods !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I was back again this morning, grey pleat skirt so the look was a bit less casual. That seemed to get little or no attention either.
If anyone has snapped me, good luck to them. I'm glad to say that I have managed to get over worrying about it.
You're absolutely right Al, the world has all but gone photo crazy.
Steve.