Greetings

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: Greetings

Post by Since1982 »

Man, I don't think I'd dare try to buy in...I'm just not that good at poker!
No one is "good" at poker. With the thousands of Poker Books on the Market, everyone knows pretty much the same information. Everyone is "lucky" about 20% of the time and "unlucky" 80% of the time. What makes one player "better" or a "pro poker player" are two things that we all have in varying degrees. We just need to learn to control them. One, is our temperament, (I edited the T back into temperament yesterday, even though I thought I spelled it right the first time, but the "PostingTrolls" have been at it again and the T was gone again today. I've replaced it again, lets see if it poofs again. Weird.)the other is our patience. A "Good" poker player "waits" for a good hand, no matter how long it takes for one to appear. IF, by chance his good hand is beaten "on the river" by a lucky hand owned by another, that "good" poker player needs the second thing, an even temper and the knowledge that EVERYONE gets BAD BEATS and they can't get upset and angry when they happen. The 2 main rules for a Professional poker player to remember in order to be successful are: It's ONLY a game and It's NOT Personal. You can't get MAD at someone because they BEAT you. Do you expect THEM to get MAD when YOU win?? Of course not. It's just luck. As long as you get your money in with the best hand, there is nothing you can do from that point on except pray for a good result.

There's a player in professional poker named Phil Hellmuth, who is absolutely the worst BABY there has ever been in professional sports. Here is a sample of his rants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWNDhuet ... feature=iv

Check this out. It will blow your socks off.

A lot of life is like that! :thewave:
Last edited by Since1982 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Greetings

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Yes, that is certainly true. I've learned (that you shouldn't get mad when you lose) by playing chess, because it is rather IMHO rather immature and makes one look like a fool. I mean, I might be a fool anyway, but I try to hide that fact from all and sundry. What else is new? I met my friend for coffee tonight at about 10:15 PM CST, and since I was already in PJ's (read: shirt and skirt), I just pulled on a pair of shoes and socks and met him like that. No one really said anything, one waitress kinda smiled and as I went to the men's room, one lady customer smiled at me so I smiled back, natch. If anyone had said something I probably would have said, "since my accident, I've had a real hard time manipulating zippers", which is true, but I may also wait for the chance to say, "this is a kilt! What! It's not a kilt", etc.