Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I threw caution to the winds today, and wore a short black denim skirt with black tights. I wouldn't normally go beyond a kilt on a Wednesday, as the cleaners and the music teacher visit the house, but I got no reaction, even though they've not previously seen me in a skirt. The same is true of my elderly mother, who I visited this afternoon. though I switched to a longer black denim skirt, just above the knee. I think she noticed, but didn't comment: when I saw her yesterday I wore a tartan kilt over black tights, so it felt like one small step at a time. So, another day on which the sky failed to fall.

Yesterday evening I went with the family to the theatre in a black dress. Even when I had a raincoat over it, this felt considerably more conspicuous, as it seems further from the norm, but I didn't get any negative vibes.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Great stuff MB especially with you mum.
Do you have a picture of you in the black dress?

I'm slowly getting around to the idea of some wider tops options. I bought a ladies shirt and nobody even noticed it wasn't a man's. I think I going to do some further exploration. I havent found dress yet.
Layne

Post by Layne »

I absolutely love the idea of a dress more and more, but have trouble with the location of the waistline; especially being on the taller side.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Layne wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:46 pm I absolutely love the idea of a dress more and more, but have trouble with the location of the waistline; especially being on the taller side.
Dresses are available for taller shapes, you know. You might want to look in that direction.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Layne wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:46 pm I absolutely love the idea of a dress more and more, but have trouble with the location of the waistline; especially being on the taller side.
Yes, although I am not tall I find that on most dresses the waist line is too high and makes me look pregnant when I aren't. There is a term "drop waist dress" which is a good start in searches.
My name is Anthony, please accept me for the person that I am.
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

I was in town today this time back in trousers. Anyway whilst walking to Tesco I seen a guy dressed casually in a kilt with black boots and t-shirt. It was such pleasure seeing another guy in a kilt and it made me feel more confident to get the kilt and skirts back on. When I got home it was great to get back into my leggings as I find leggings much more comfortable. I think I’ll get the kilt on tomorrow.
Last edited by DrFishnets on Sun May 26, 2024 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

DrFishnets wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:41 pm I was in town today this time back in trousers. Anyway whilst walking to Tesco I seen a guy dressed casually in a kilt with black boots and t-shirt.
There you go, you are not alone in your location. I have never seen a MIS in my Tesco, other than me.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

Mouse wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:48 pm
DrFishnets wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:41 pm I was in town today this time back in trousers. Anyway whilst walking to Tesco I seen a guy dressed casually in a kilt with black boots and t-shirt.
There you go, you are not alone in your location. I have never seen a MIS in my Tesco, other than me.
I thought with Dundee being a Scottish city I’d see more guys in kilts but I’ve only seen them dressed in kilts casually a few time. I have seen a few guys in skirts and fishnets tights but that seems to be around the university as it has a big LGBTQ following.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

DrFishnets wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:09 pm I thought with Dundee being a Scottish city I’d see more guys in kilts but I’ve only seen them dressed in kilts casually a few time. I have seen a few guys in skirts and fishnets tights but that seems to be around the university as it has a big LGBTQ following.
A week in Scotland around Edinburgh and St Andrews. I saw two guys in kilts and both were in costume playing the bagpipes on the street. Going to Scotland and seeing MIS on every corner is not a thing. I think that it shows that even in a place where men can wear skirts without loosing their man card, they still don't.
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

Mouse wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:43 pm I think that it shows that even in a place where men can wear skirts without loosing their man card, they still don't.
Yeah I find that very sad. It just shows it was a challenge for me to go out in a skirt. I would bet there are a lot more men other than us would like to dress casually in a kilt or skirt but just don’t have the courage to do so incase they are ridiculed. Also I see that a lot more women are ditching skirts for trousers, jeans or leggings and I find that depressing.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Mouse wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:43 pm Going to Scotland and seeing MIS on every corner is not a thing. I think that it shows that even in a place where men can wear skirts without loosing their man card, they still don't.
I have thought long and hard about this one Mouse. Who I am is not for others to decide. That's my judgement on me. It has very little to do with what I'm wearing.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Barleymower wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:58 pm I have thought long and hard about this one Mouse. Who I am is not for others to decide. That's my judgement on me. It has very little to do with what I'm wearing.
I wasn't making a great point, just that in a country that has men wearing skirts as an accepted thing, you still don't get a great number of men wearing them.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Barleymower wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:58 pm
Mouse wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:43 pm Going to Scotland and seeing MIS on every corner is not a thing. I think that it shows that even in a place where men can wear skirts without loosing their man card, they still don't.
I have thought long and hard about this one Mouse. Who I am is not for others to decide. That's my judgement on me. It has very little to do with what I'm wearing.
I think on reflection that I was just wanted to make a point. For me it stems back to my now passed mum. She was very judgemental and would often say things like "any man who.. (add your own wrongdoing)". Later I realised that she was not alone with this attitude. It quite common for mens manhood to be measured by others.

I
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Barleymower wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:35 am I think on reflection that I was just wanted to make a point. For me it stems back to my now passed mum. She was very judgemental and would often say things like "any man who.. (add your own wrongdoing)". Later I realised that she was not alone with this attitude. It quite common for mens manhood to be measured by others.
Sorry, it was a clumsy short hand way of describing my simple point.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Nobody’s going to get near my manhood with a tape measure.