Tops from the other side of the aisle

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by JeffB1959 »

moonshadow wrote:Steering this back onto tops and skirts again, it seems to be based on the post I've read, in addition to the images I have viewed on google of the "experts" (women) I feel the general consensus if a skirt is printed, wear a solid, or solid-ish top, if the top is printed, wear a solid, or solid-ish skirt, unless the patterns and colors are just meant for each other.

I found some handy tips on the following websites regarding matching clothing.... since we're going metro here... :bom:

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beaut ... ix-prints/

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beaut ... or-mixing/
I've never tried to pair printed tops and skirts, just too busy from a visual standpoint in my opinion, and not something I'd want to try. but, hey, to those that do, and can make it work, more power to them.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JeffB1959 wrote:I've never tried to pair printed tops and skirts, just too busy from a visual standpoint in my opinion, and not something I'd want to try. but, hey, to those that do, and can make it work, more power to them.
I find it depends on my mood. There are days where I just like to be loud, and there are days I like to practice "coordination" skills.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Any new tops I buy are women's tops so there is room for my boom-booms [DD cup]. Some look like standard men's shirts except for the buttons being on the left side. Others are explicitly women's blouses. I like the variety of women's clothing and I can appear professional without the noose or gravy magnet known as a necktie. You know if you soil a lot of the neckties you can't remove the spot so you throw the necktie away. :evil:

John
I renounce the Great Male Renunciation!!!
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

JohnH wrote:Any new tops I buy are women's tops so there is room for my boom-booms [DD cup]. Some look like standard men's shirts except for the buttons being on the left side. Others are explicitly women's blouses. I like the variety of women's clothing and I can appear professional without the noose or gravy magnet known as a necktie. You know if you soil a lot of the neckties you can't remove the spot so you throw the necktie away. :evil:
Agreed. My experience is that I would rather wear a top from the women's department that has room for my DD's than wear a men's shirt that obviously does not fit. When I first started investigating the idea of buying my tops in the women's department, I was told that I didn't want to do that because "women's tops are cut to accentuate their figure, and you want the opposite." That made so much sense that I bought men's shirts in a larger size than I really needed so that the front looked halfway decent but the shoulders were much too big. I don't remember how I happened to actually try on a women's blouse, but when I did the light dawned and I realized that the earlier advice had been completely bogus. I do not buy super-feminine blouses, but there is still a great selection - much better than the shirts in the men's department. And they actually fit!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I will say anybody looks a hell of a lot better with boom-booms instead of having a big gut. :D

John
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

JohnH wrote:I will say anybody looks a hell of a lot better with boom-booms instead of having a big gut. :D
John

John are you making fun at my big gut :?: :?: :hide: :rofl: :hide:

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Well, guess what? I have a gut too. I need to be more diligent in my Battle of the Bulge. :D
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It's funny that I can wear female tops outside the house and MOH says nowt but put on a skirt and try the same and she goes ballistic. Women, who can understand them. :?:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Same here for me. The only time my commanding officer (wife) lets me.wear a dress outside is when I'm taking out the trash. She razzes me whenever I wear a denim skirt to walk the dog.
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

Sinned wrote:It's funny that I can wear female tops outside the house and MOH says nowt but put on a skirt and try the same and she goes ballistic. Women, who can understand them. :?:
Actually, in this one rare case, I think I understand.

There are many women's tops that are indistinguishable from men's tops, at least at the perception level that people see you. Sure, you buy a frilly top, or one with spaghetti straps, and the folks who see you are going to perceive "women's clothing". I have one women's top that's kind of on the cusp of that but the rest are gender neutral.

The skirt on the other hand ... anyone who is paying any level of attention at all is going to immediately see "a man in a skirt".

So yes, there is a big difference between wearing the top and the skirt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I must admit that the tops I wear at the moment are summer ones, vests and spaghetti strapped ones as it is warm now. These on first impression aren't particularly feminine, more neutral.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, regarding women's tops not fitting the male body, granted I don't have a very masculine build anyway, but my chest is, for the most part flat, and I have about as many tops as I do bottoms (skirts), and I'd say 19 out of 20 tops fit. I've got everything from tanks, blouses, feminine, floral, wide neck, loose, snug, and a few long sleeved. All fit wonderfully!

In fact, I wear women's tops every day. They are comfortable, and look better with skirts. Very rarely I get a top that is just a little to big in the breast area to work for me. In fact, I'm going to redonate one that has this problem. Which stinks because I REALLY like the blouse! But alas, when I bend forward it just droops too much! :cry: But ones like the one I'm wearing now are awesome!

As you can see from the image below.... they fit just fine! (and all are "women's") All that stuff about "not being cut for a man's body" is just bunk. Stuff they tell you to keep you out of the women's section of the store! :roll:

-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

I don't recall you ever saying or not, but it looks like you are wearing hose in that photo Moon. Do you wear hose with your skirts?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

hoborob wrote:I don't recall you ever saying or not, but it looks like you are wearing hose in that photo Moon. Do you wear hose with your skirts?
I have a few pairs of hose in my sock drawer, but they are black. I want to start collecting some various tights as we approach the colder months later this year. But in the warm weather I'm always bare skinned!

I just have Ricks skin tone apparently! :)

Not bad considering I didn't shave this morning! :P
(I normally go about three days between shaves)
-Andrea
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

moonshadow wrote:
hoborob wrote:I don't recall you ever saying or not, but it looks like you are wearing hose in that photo Moon. Do you wear hose with your skirts?
I have a few pairs of hose in my sock drawer, but they are black. I want to start collecting some various tights as we approach the colder months later this year. But in the warm weather I'm always bare skinned!

I just have Ricks skin tone apparently! :)

Not bad considering I didn't shave this morning! :P
(I normally go about three days between shaves)
Well done! You look nice. For whatever it's worth, I don't bother with hosiery during spring and summer since things get steamy and humid in my neck of the woods. And while I hate to boast, I've never had to shave my legs as they remain perpetually smooth.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.