Hiking in a skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Hello, Owen!

Good on you for having the courage to go out in a skirt in the daytime.

How much overlap is there in the wrap skirt you describe? I was just wondering how easy it would be for it to accidentally "unwrap" and expose rather more than you meant!
fka Richard II. The one in the long skirt.
owen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by owen »

There's loads of overlap, but I use a kilt-pin at groin level to prevent any accidental exposure. That also makes it look a bit more "kilt-like", which makes things easier.

By the way, it just keeps getting better! I've been out on another hike recently, a one-day job this time, left the trousers at home, and must have passed about a hundred people during the day. The only comment I heard was from a young boy to his parents in a pub where I stopped for lunch: "he's not wearing a t-shirt!".

:D
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

I use a kilt-pin at groin level
To pin two layers together, or just to weight the top layer down? (It surprised me when I found out that the purpose of a kilt pin is just to weight the top layer down. If you pinned it to the next layer, there'd be a danger that the fabric could rip.)

Good for you for going out skirted again! I've been going out skirted for some years now, and I've found that most people don't comment at all. It is clear to anyone who sees me that my skirts are skirts.
fka Richard II. The one in the long skirt.
DavidsSkirts

Hiking in skirts...

Post by DavidsSkirts »

I have several skirts that are suitable for walking and travel...
A lot more comfortable than pants..
:D

Like Howard, I too like to go nude whenever possible, when I go bushwalking and mountainbiking - but in my situation I'm heading out into the bush, or down the beach, and away from built-up areas - the further I go the less chance of encounters like Stu talks about (the area he walks in is probably more open and public then those I frequent - if I was passing through a well-populated place I would probably don a skirt, sarong or shorts too..).
As you get further away from towns, the less of an issue the nudism becomes.
8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David...
Lake Macquarie (aka paradise..); NSW; Australia.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Wow! You look great in that skirt!

I've worn skirts for easy trail hiking, but have never considered them for some of the rough scrambles I've done.

For example, on late April (mud season in Massachusetts) my brother and I set off to climb up to the cave midway up the mountain at which base I lived. We made it up OK and poked around the area for a while, exploring the cave and just greening plants.

Then came the problem of getting back down the mountain. That's how we discovered why God made trees. They block your fall when you are sliding down a mountain in the mud. We just aimed our slides at the next tree downhill until we got home.

Would not have wanted to do that in a skirt.

However, one must keep in mind that I tend to trow myself into things, literally. When I'm on a scramble outdoors, so safety and sanitation, pants work best for me.

Now for a Sunday ramble along the local rail trail, skirts would work stunningly.

But, for a serious ramble through the local gardens and parkland at the horticultural society, pants and long sleeves are a must - the mosquitos are rather thick. Need body armor!