Escape: Qantas reveals new inclusive uniforms, scraps male and female classifications

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Escape: Qantas reveals new inclusive uniforms, scraps male and female classifications

Post by Grok »

I conform at work, because I want work to be as stress free as possible.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Escape: Qantas reveals new inclusive uniforms, scraps male and female classifications

Post by jamie001 »

crfriend wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:24 pm
Grok wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:54 pmIt being very unlikely that the unofficial dress code will be violated.
And that's the one with teeth in it.

Want evidence? Just try donning a skirt if you're male and see how long the experiment lasts, and then double-check your HR records to make sure they haven't ticked the Trans-* box without your consent.

I'd not be willing to roll those dice.
Why does it matter if the checked the trans box? It actually gives you more job security.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

I wonder if under the Quanta’s policy I could mix and match? In other words wear a male shirt sans tie, women’s skirt, pantyhose, and women’s shoes
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:01 pmWhy does it matter if the checked the trans box? It actually gives you more job security
Because it comes at the cost of your true self. Some things are not open to compromise. Full stop.

Too, wait for the inevitable backlash -- that checked trans-* box will cost you a job in a New York second.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:53 pm
Coder wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:19 am Spurious may they be, if I were in the situation I'd wear the "uniform with a skirt" if the skirt was comfortable enough.
Sadly Coder, on this occasion your acceptance doesn't count. Conflicting interest and perhaps a tad pre-disposed too.
Wait - you mean my opinion doesn't count more than everyone else in the world?

But yes - as they would say - I'm biased af - and if I weren't, I fear I'd be right there with my family members opposing this sort of stuff. Well, I'm not so sure - in some theoretical alternate universe, perhaps I'd be accepting but just not interested, which is the most I could hope for.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

jamie001 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:03 pm I wonder if under the Quanta’s policy I could mix and match? In other words wear a male shirt sans tie, women’s skirt, pantyhose, and women’s shoes
I doubt it, unless the shirts are otherwise identical (ie, the only difference being buttoning to left/right). It sounded like the "capsule" needed to stay intact, but which gender wore it didn't matter.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I have noticed people posting comments about entering hard times, with economic conditions going into depression mode.

In which case, many people will likely be careful to conform at work...avoid rocking the boat...so as to retain their jobs.

Thats just economic, without even considering the political.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:31 am
Barleymower wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:30 am Maybe I should be finding out exactly what the problem is and then look for instances where that has changed.
The change that has really occurred is the superficial relaxation of certain dress codes for men and boys.
Many employers will happily state a policy to allow men to wear skirts at work, PR magic.
Schools will hold themselves up as beacons of inclusion by having gender free uniform policies.
They do this in a safe and certain knowledge of the current status quo.
The change that has not occurred, men and boys in skirts are no more accepted by society now as opposed to 20 years ago.
Tolerated, maybe, but accepted never and that is enough to deter a lot of males from taking advantage of the spurious opportunities being offered.
Steve.
Considering we do as we please, there's no problem. If all men were to take to skirts overnight, we would say something like "I've been wearing for ... years". "Oh really?" 🥱. Might be the reply.
In a way I'm glad there aren't many of us. Shows we have more nerve than they do.😀
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

As I recall, awhile back there was discussion about school dress codes. One way for The Powers That Be to pre-empt the Trans thing was to require all students-male, female, Trans-to wear trousers.

I am can imagine some male Qantas employees trying to wear those skirts. After a few men show up in skirts, I can see management abruptly changing the dress code. Requiring all-male and female-to wear trousers. Pre-empting MIS while retaining an appearance of equality.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:41 pm
STEVIE wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:31 am
Barleymower wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:30 am Maybe I should be finding out exactly what the problem is and then look for instances where that has changed.
Considering we do as we please, there's no problem. If all men were to take to skirts overnight, we would say something like "I've been wearing for ... years". "Oh really?" 🥱. Might be the reply.
In a way I'm glad there aren't many of us. Shows we have more nerve than they do.😀
Found a dictionary definition for the word maverick.

"An independent person, esp. in politics."

So.... A status to strive for-"An independent person, esp. in choice of clothing." :idea:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:30 amFound a dictionary definition for the word maverick.

"An independent person, esp. in politics."
I'm not sure what dictionary you're using, but the term "maverick" is generally applied to anybody who bucks the status quo -- in pretty much anything. It's frequently applied to free-thinkers.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

An old book, falling apart, with the title Heritage Dictionary.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:46 amAn old book, falling apart, with the title Heritage Dictionary.
Bummer about it falling apart! Is there a copyright date on it somewhere? It'd be interesting to note when the usage changed.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Copyright 1983.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:55 amCopyright 1983.
Gee, that's positively new.

My copy of Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary (1971) lists it as:

1) an unbranded range animal esp a motherless calf,
and
2) an independent individual who refuses to conform with his group.

We're obviously talking about (2) here. It's rather astonishing how these things change over time!