Getting back to the basics

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Getting back to the basics

Post by Uncle Al »

Ok folks, I'm not trying to go out on any limb here, but,
as I see it, we've got to stop the verbal attacks and
get back to some basics that this forum was founded upon.

:soapbox:
Remember that we gathered here to discuss the promotion
of men wearing skirts and kilts in their every day activities.
We are not wanting to be portrayed as women, nor having
different choices than women, just bringing back the skirted
garment as a part of men's clothing options.

Just as women have the right to choose whether they wear
trousers or skirts, men need to take back their rights for the
same choices.

We need to show the world that Men in Kilts and Skirts are
not perverts nor pediophiles, just men being men, whether
they're wearing a skirt, kilt or trousers-that it's the mens
choice and not something that is dictated over them.

What ideas can you come up with that will show men
in kilts and skirts as a positive, uplifting (Oops-you know
what I mean)
experience? Promoting mens health? Not
restricting movement? Not as hot as trousers?

What can WE do to encourage men to wear kilts and skirts
any day they choose, in any activity they choose, and not
just on a 'special occasions'?

What can WE do to get men to understand that you don't
have to be of Scottish decent to wear a kilt?

These are just some of the bias' that we face.

What do YOU suggest to change the bias' of society?

OK-It's on the table- - Let's talk!

End of :soapbox:

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Getting back to the basics

Post by Stevie D »

Uncle Al wrote: What can WE do to encourage men to wear kilts and skirts
any day they choose, in any activity they choose, and not
just on a 'special occasions'?

What can WE do to get men to understand that you don't
have to be of Scottish decent to wear a kilt?

What do YOU suggest to change the bias' of society?

OK-It's on the table- - Let's talk!
Easy: forget the talking. There's been enough of that recently. Just get out into the everyday real world wearing your kilts, skirts, sarongs, dresses, etc., (i.e. whatever is right for you) and SHOW men and everyone in general that men can wear these clothes.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

As Steve rightly says, wearing skirts 'out & about' has more advantages than the written word! All I would say, and I refuse to be shouted down by the "ne'er-do-well" fraternity, is to wear something appropriate to whatever environment you're in. An example? Carl often reminds folk to pay attention to the whole outfit, if out dining, or similar. Great! If you're birdwatching, get a camo Kilt or skirt. On holiday, somewhere hot? A sarong or short denim skirt will fetch hardly a second glance, other than an envious one, these days. But if you're going to dress, 'look at me!', then poleeeease don't run back here, wailing, "Folk are looking at me!" :oops:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I concur with Stevie D. on this one. Just get out there and show people that it's possible -- i.e. lead by example, the way that the best leaders do. We already have the right to dress as we see fit -- we just need to assert that right.

For the sake of clarification, because I think somebody's being a little bit dense, when I comment on bearing in mind the entire outfit, I do so with a mind to the context the outfit will be worn in (e.g. "make it believeable"), and the statement that the wearer wants to convey -- nothing more and nothing less. If one wants to dress in an outlandish manner, that's his prerogative. My personal approach is to construct outfits that convey a quiet sense of confidence and a little bit of flair, but that's my aesthetic sense. Other folks will, quite naturally, have different ones.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Inertia
Distinguished Member

Post by Inertia »

crfriend wrote:when I comment on bearing in mind the entire outfit, I do so with a mind to the context the outfit will be worn in (e.g. "make it believeable"), and the statement that the wearer wants to convey -- nothing more and nothing less. If one wants to dress in an outlandish manner, that's his prerogative. My personal approach is to construct outfits that convey a quiet sense of confidence and a little bit of flair, but that's my aesthetic sense. Other folks will, quite naturally, have different ones.
As a member who's "in the board but not of the board" by virtue of my sex, I agree with you entirely. Everyone has a different aesthetic sense; and to me as a kind of observer, the fact that the men here choose to express their different aesthetic preferences in different ways just adds an interesting diversity to the overall unity of make skirt-wearing. How else do any of us, male or female, get dressed in the morning, but by choosing whatever available garments make us feel good, and look good on us? We *all* have that freedom, and the right to exercise it in our own way. Those who desire tolerance and acceptance will gain it best by exercising it themselves toward others, and by patiently showing their example to those who ought to know better, but don't yet.

Cheers,

Inertia
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

Just get out into the everyday real world wearing your kilts, skirts, sarongs, dresses, etc.,
Yep that's the bottom line
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Steve D is right on the money...get out and be seen. No need for us to divide forces by squabbling over whether our passion for skirts has any roots in our personal psycho-sexual nature. Frankly, it's nobody's business why a man chooses to wear a skirt, and fretting about the reasons simply promotes the idea of sexual insecurity. Let the gawkers gawk; nothing you say will change narrow minds anyway. No progress will be made in the trousered world until we accept each other in the skirted community without insecurities.

Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia