New skirts from the US

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
JohnG2

New skirts from the US

Post by JohnG2 »

I have just returned from a few weeks holidaying in GA. When I went the £/$ was in my favour so I spent perhaps more than I should have. My first purchase was a button through denim skirt, fairly straight just below the knee. It was in the sale at Belks department store near Atlanta and for just $14 at the time about £8. I also bought a couple of pairs of slip on sandles which will go with a few of my skirts as well as trousers. I must say my wife was not terribly supportive. The last purchase was on an urge and will probably offend some on this forum. It was a long floor length evening skirt in black stiff chiffon lined in a taffeta like material. It is full and very swishy. I was not dissapointed when I tried it on either. My wife was annoyed as it cost $79, reduced from $120. While I was looking at it in Macys a lady shopper was also admiring it. She saw me holding it up to me and said I had good taste. She was also looking at other evening skirts and dresses. I told her how lucky she was that she could wear anything she liked. She was very nice but I dont think she could work me out.
I am not sure if GA is a skirt friendly state, I certainly did not see any guys wearing any. One thing I did notice and that is that there were a lot more trousers than skirts on the racks. I hope to venture out soon in my new denim skirt and as this would be my only second venture outside, I can't wait.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: New skirts from the US

Post by crfriend »

JohnG2 wrote:My first purchase was a button through denim skirt, fairly straight just below the knee. It was in the sale at Belks department store near Atlanta and for just $14 at the time about £8.
If all goes according to what modern history suggests it will, you will go un-noticed in the denim skirt -- as it should be.
The last purchase was on an urge and will probably offend some on this forum. It was a long floor length evening skirt in black stiff chiffon lined in a taffeta like material. It is full and very swishy. I was not dissapointed when I tried it on either.
For all the recent angst we seem to have had on things, I feel I should point up the text in the banner above: "We recognize a diversity of styles our members feel comfortable wearing, and do not exclude any potential choices.". So long as your intention is not to confuse or "pass", then there should be no negative feedback, either for a floor-length skirt or for a purchase done on a whim. I have an ankle-length skirt that I absolutely adore, and I am not hesitant to wear it "out and about" (i.e. in public settings). Your formal skirt sounds quite nice; your challenge now is to properly integrate it into a believeable man's look.
My wife was annoyed as it cost $79, reduced from $120.
I've kited eighty bucks before on things, including things that haven't gotten any mileage at all. :(
I hope to venture out soon in my new denim skirt and as this would be my only second venture outside, I can't wait.
Here's to hoping that modern wisdom holds fast!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

JohnG2 wrote:I have just returned from a few weeks holidaying in GA. When I went the £/$ was in my favour so I spent perhaps more than I should have. My first purchase was a button through denim skirt, fairly straight just below the knee. It was in the sale at Belks department store near Atlanta and for just $14 at the time about £8. I also bought a couple of pairs of slip on sandles which will go with a few of my skirts as well as trousers. I must say my wife was not terribly supportive. The last purchase was on an urge and will probably offend some on this forum. It was a long floor length evening skirt in black stiff chiffon lined in a taffeta like material. It is full and very swishy. I was not dissapointed when I tried it on either. My wife was annoyed as it cost $79, reduced from $120. While I was looking at it in Macys a lady shopper was also admiring it. She saw me holding it up to me and said I had good taste. She was also looking at other evening skirts and dresses. I told her how lucky she was that she could wear anything she liked. She was very nice but I dont think she could work me out.
Enjoy your evening skirt. Men should be able to enjoy fine fabrics just as women do. I think a skirt of that sort would be a hit at a semi-formal affair, with white shirt, black suit jacket and a bold tie, maybe a vest to contrast as well, paisley perhaps? Or light gray or deep red.

I'm glad you feel you found some bargains in Atlanta. But i'll wager none were actually made in the US!
I am not sure if GA is a skirt friendly state, I certainly did not see any guys wearing any. One thing I did notice and that is that there were a lot more trousers than skirts on the racks. I hope to venture out soon in my new denim skirt and as this would be my only second venture outside, I can't wait.
Skirt-friendly GA? Athens, for sure. Maybe Savannah or parts of Atlanta. Try Asheville, NC, next trip over.

Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

At one time Georgia was second only to Alabama in membership of Ku Klux Klansmen. Most of which would probably hang a skirt wearing man as quickly as a black farmer within the last 50 years and still have rallies in the major cities replete with white pointy headed uniforms and swastikas and messages of hate, hate and more hate. I wouldn't want to be walking on a rural road even today in Georgia or Alabama in a skirt at night. I'd be wayy afraid of redneck drunken justice. :evil:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Since1982 wrote:At one time Georgia was second only to Alabama in membership of Ku Klux Klansmen. Most of which would probably hang a skirt wearing man as quickly as a black farmer within the last 50 years and still have rallies in the major cities replete with white pointy headed uniforms and swastikas and messages of hate, hate and more hate. I wouldn't want to be walking on a rural road even today in Georgia or Alabama in a skirt at night. I'd be wayy afraid of redneck drunken justice. :evil:
You could encounter some angry drunken homophobe anywhere - South Georgia or South Boston - but the south in general isn't that kind of place anymore. The remaining racists do their rioting in the voting booth now. Around here, there are lots of bi-racial families. The public schools I attended had been desegregated for almost 20 years before the Boston schools did the same.

Athens GA, home of the University of GA, gave rise to the B-52s, Love Tractor, and REM among other bands. Granted, not many southern communities are that progressive, but we're not klansmen any more.

Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Sasq, you have a PM from me. Please check it out. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

Since1982 wrote:At one time Georgia was second only to Alabama in membership of Ku Klux Klansmen. Most of which would probably hang a skirt wearing man as quickly as a black farmer within the last 50 years and still have rallies in the major cities replete with white pointy headed uniforms and swastikas and messages of hate, hate and more hate. I wouldn't want to be walking on a rural road even today in Georgia or Alabama in a skirt at night. I'd be wayy afraid of redneck drunken justice. :evil:
Skip, I live in Alabama and regularly wear skirts of many ilks. Reactions range from un-noticed to ambivalent to enthusiastic support. You want to get harassed here -- just try riding your bike on the back roads while wearing lycra.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

JohnG2 said: The last purchase was on an urge and will probably offend some on this forum.
I hope you don't include me in the "some who might be offended". I've never told anyone not to wear anything. Swishy?? I wear petticoats under a peasant skirt I have because when I was young, I loved the rustle of petticoats at my school and was jealous of those that wore them. I still love it. I guess that makes me swishy too. I don't care what people wear, I just don't want them trying to talk me into wearing their choices.

It's been cold here all day, Petticoats are also warm, and I have 2 under the skirt I'm wearing as I type this. toasty! Mine are a black one and a red one and both show at the bottom of my skirt. They are longer than the skirt. I've ordered 3 more that are shorter and will go well with most of my skirts and jumpers. :hooray: :thewave: