Hiking Breakneck Ridge in a skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
mountain-mug

Re: Hiking Breakneck Ridge in a skirt

Post by mountain-mug »

Wow, great hike (or more properly, scramble)! That looks very interesting! You are definitely pushing the limit with a long skirt! I've done some hiking in NY, NH, and VT, and there are some really challenging trails. Out here in the northern Rockies, I've hiking many a trail in skirts, but all have been 18-22 inches, from just above the knee to right at knee-length. I find this length gives full freedom of movement, allowing one to rock-hop easily, and no worries about stepping on a hem. But I haven't had to crawl up the rock yet. Thanks for the great pics and post!
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kris »

Thanks for the great post and pics, AMM! That is a fantastic area for hiking.
As others have said, I don't believe I would try it in a skirt that long, maybe in a Mountain Hardware Hiking Kilt. Speaking of that, I wore it for a 9+ mile hike yesterday, but on much easier trails than the Breakneck Ridge Trail.

Apropos hiking in a skirt, I just read a book "My Journey to Freedom And Ultralight Backpacking" by Carol Wellman. On page 138 she writes (note: the AT is the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine, 2175 miles):
"In 2002 on the AT, several guys and a few women I met were hiking in skirts, sundresses, or kilts. If you chose to hike with a skirt or kilt, underwear or a "privacy button" (that closes one side to another) is necessary when lounging in mixed company. The skirts and kilts were said to be cool, comfortable, and to prevent chafing."

Mountain-mug mentioned hiking both in the Northeast and the Rockies. I've heard other people say that as a generalization, the eastern trails are harder (but of course without the altitude to contend with). The Western trail-builders seem to look for "easy" routes from place to place. The Eastern trail-builders seem to pick the hardest way, over every hill and mountain they could find! The AT in particular was set to be a challenge.

Kris
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

This might turn into an annual tradition.

Yesterday, I went up pretty much the same trail as last year. I didn't quite go all the way to the top. Just before the last climb, a trail branches off to the South (the side with the cliff), called the "Undercliff" trail. I was hoping it would shorten my hike, but it still took 3.5 hours. The trail is not as steep as you might guess from the picture of the cliff, but it's still bad enough on my ankles.

I wore a new skirt, which you can see in the pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

The "breacan an fheilidh", also known as the "Great Kilt" or "The Whole 9 yards" Can be found here> http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/Celtic_His ... _kilt.html

So a man wanting a Great Kilt would ask for "The Whole 9 Yards", or 9 ells as the case may be, introducing the concept that a man must have 9 yards of cloth to make a Great Kilt. However, remember one thing: the tartan of ancient times was 27"-30" wide. To make a Great Kilt, the 9 ells would be cut in half to create 2 pieces of tartan, single width (27"-30") wide and 4.5 ells long. These two pieces would then be stitched together to make 1 Kilt, 54"-60" wide and 4.5 ells long.

Today's looms can and do weave cloth double width, 54"-61" wide, eliminating the extra step of buying 9 ells, cutting it in half and stitching the two pieces together again the long way. You would just obtain 4.5 yards/ells and not need to do any cutting and stitching except to finish off the edges. :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

What a wonderful skirt! Did you make that one, AMM? Purple and airy looking double layers makes me think skirts aren't so useless to me after all. :D
Inertia
Distinguished Member

Post by Inertia »

Skirt Chaser wrote:What a wonderful skirt! Did you make that one, AMM? Purple and airy looking double layers makes me think skirts aren't so useless to me after all. :D
Hey, skirts are great -- wonderfully comfortable. And they don't *touch* you all the time, like those intrusive trousers always do. Ask any of the guys here! :-D

AMM, what a fabulous set of photos, and what a great hike that must have been! I am all admiration...

Cheers,

Inertia
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

Skirt Chaser wrote:What a wonderful skirt! Did you make that one, AMM? Purple and airy looking double layers makes me think skirts aren't so useless to me after all. :D
Yes, I made it. By this time, most of my skirts are ones I've made.

This one started out life as a remnant of medium-weight nylon from a Joanne Fabrics store that was closing. I figured I could turn it into a rugged skirt for cycling, and bought some rip-stop nylon as a liner and waistband. It turns out it's too slippery for biking -- I start out sitting on it, but then it slides up until the skirt is hanging over the back of the seat and I'm sitting directly on the seat with no skirt between.

It has turned out to be a lot cooler and lighter than I expected. Since the outer fabric is gym-bag weight, it stands up to being scraped over rocks. And it's a nice un-drab color.

If anyone's interested, I'll take some better shots and post them under "pics."
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Help, help, I'm being converted! :lol: Actually Inertia, skirts for me have always purely been about what it looks like. I will always be wearing some sort of short pants with them for comfort. It took me a while to understand the guys here are in skirts for more than just the look. :D

AMM, yes, please share photos of the wonderful purple skirt!