Kilt or Skirt for London - Advice please

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Kilt or Skirt for London - Advice please

Post by cessna152towser »

I am planning a visit to the RAF Museum at Hendon in north London on Wednesday, flying from Newcastle to Stansted. Here are some options:-
1) Traditional Scottish kilt in Royal Air Force tartan..
2) Olive grey Freedom Cargo kilt, which I have worn to visit London three times previously with no problems.
3) Denim skirt from Midas.
4) Navy blue kilted skirt. This is a very cheap acrylic garment, which although it is labelled as a highland kilt, is really just a kilted skirt as it does not have a fell at the back (the area of sewn down pleats for the first eight ro nine inches). It is also the only one of the four which would need a slip, as it is very light and not lined. This is definitely the most fem looking outfit of the four even though it is labelled as a man's kilt, but has the big advantage over the other three of no metal studs or attachments to trigger the airport x-rays. Of the four outfits, I woud feel much more condfident with options 1 or 2. I am thinking I might sew on a sports club patch to option 4, where the kilt pin should go, to masculise it a bit. What would you wear for such a trip?
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I guess my first thought is the answer I'd always give - wear whatever you feel most comfortable in (both physically and socially). When you are comfortable, relaxed and confident other people will know it and will react to your comfort. If you are not completely comfortable people will pick up on that and wonder why not.

Getting to your specific list, I'd probably make the connection between the RAF tartan and the RAF museum and wear that kilt because it seemed right for the occasion but to some degree that will also depend on what else you intend to wear and (of course) on the weather.

At the end of the day, it's your choice.

Have fun (and enjoy the museum),

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Go for Number one! It's a fabulous museum (if a little dark!), so support the RAF!!!!!!!!!
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Yes, by all means go for the RAF tartan, however not here in Armidale, as the prestigious New England Girls School does have a beautiful ankle length uniform skirt in RAF tartan. ( Gorgeous actually, I do love to see them in their winter uniform :D )
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Colin
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Colin »

No. 1 sounds good.
I hope that you have a good time.
Colin.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

I'd go with (1), no question. It should carry a lot more visual clout than the other options.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Well I followed all your advice and went in my RAF kilt yesterday, seen here at Hendon. Flew Easyjet Newcastle to Stansted, then train to Tottenham Hale and London Underground to Colindale via Euston. On the way back I took a bus from the museum to Mill Hill Broadway then a main line train to City Thameslink and walked from there to Liverpool Street to catch the Stansted Express. The lady in the shop at the museum complemented me on the kilt but I doubt whether anyone else even noticed it. First time I have worn a tartan kilt in London and it wasn't an issue.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

cessna152towser wrote: First time I have worn a tartan kilt in London and it wasn't an issue.
Very smart you looked, too! Any given day (with the possible exception of a footballing Saturday!), I would say there are more Kilts on display than Edinburgh AND Glasgow, put together! I'm surprised there weren't more around Stansted Airport! What did you reckon to the Museum?
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

What did you reckon to the Museum?
Terrific museum - marvellous collection. The big Sunderland flying boat was of special interest as its service history stated that it had been with 57MU (Maintenance Unit) at Wig Bay on the Solway coast from November 1944 till February 1945. My late father was stationed at Wig Bay and serviced flying boats for 57MU there at those dates so he would probably have done some work on this aircraft.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Glad you enjoyed the museum. My son is now of an age when I reckon he'd enjoy it so I'm intending to visit later this year (though my travel arrangements should be simpler than yours...)

I love that tartan. I don't own any tartan kilts but that sort of colour could persuade me to get a higher quality tartan kilt for occasions when I ought to wear a formal suit but don't want to.

Thanks for the picture.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce