Skirting in the Digital Age

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ChristopherJ wrote:
The denim length of Pic 3 I like the most, if it were to catch on...
I agree with you there. That is a good, sort of all-purpose length of skirt suitable for guys. I'd wear that - although most of the time I prefer to wear shorter skirts.
My main gripe with "pic3" is that it looks forced. The skirt comes to about the most unflattering spot possible on the legs and the things on the lower part of the legs are, in my opinion, just plain awful.

Knee-length skirts have to be very carefully chosen because if one clips the line of the knee wrong it can ruin the look. If there's any doubt about the "right" length, it's better to err on either too long (and risk looking moderately dowdy) or too short (and risk looking somewhat "flashy"). Mild errors will usually be forgiven.

Long skirts, I think, work well on guys (most of mine tend towards mid-calf); however, chaps like ChristopherJ point up that short ones can work as well. So, (again in my opinion) it comes down to line and proportion -- are the "weights" right both topside and bottom-side; does the outfit look believable (can a bloke wear it and not look "forced"); and does it flow well?

Most tellingly -- is it something that *you* would wear? Is it something that you'd let a friend wear without "commentary"?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

I like pic3, but please lose the leggings! Nice haircut too.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Yes I've also been aware of having my photo taken by camera phones while I've been kilted. I suppose in the digital age some may end up on a public website or forum somewhere but there are so many of these that the chances of anyone seeing you or recognising you there are perhaps remote. Though having said that, someone drew to my attention that some kilted photos of me which I had posted elsewhere were now on a gay kilties site. Having lost my long term girl sweetheart to the affections of a male to female transexual before eventually marrying my present wife, I have long been somewhat of a gay basher or homophobe. Yet since my wife first coaxed me into wearing a kilt I have become more open minded and I feel that I have to accept that since I posted my pictures on a web address which is publicly available, and since there is nothing overtly sexual about the photos, I can have no complaint that they got copied onto another type of site.
Last edited by cessna152towser on Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Deleted double post
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/