"Man Laws"

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

"Man Laws"

Post by Bob »

Miller Lite has a series of "Man Law" commercials that extoll the hyper-macho, hyper-insenstive man; a kind of masculinity by what men DON'T do. It's at: http://manlaws.com

Needless to say, I don't agree with the premise.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Advertisement Companies

Post by Since1982 »

Advertising companies seem to be able to talk companies with more money than the pope into doing just about anything. Those "man laws" are idiotic. I recorded the World Series of Poker this past summer after coming home from playing in it and Miller Lite is one of the main sponsors of it. They had a whole series of "Real Man" tele-bite commercials purporting to tell the world what a "real man" wouldn't do and if he did these "terrible" things he would get a giant Miller Lite can dropped on his head. Things like bouncing on a trampoline, calling home to tell his wife where he was, cleaning the excess grease off the top of a slice of Pizza..things like that.....Things that any caring man should and would do. I guess the only "REAL" men that Miller Lite cares about are "card carrying members" of the KKK. :shake: PS, the "Man Laws" remind me of the equally insensitive commercials that Geico Auto Insurance "Used" to have before they realized how insensitive they were. ie: Attorney says to orange clad prisoner, "I have good news and bad news" which would you like first? Prisoner says, whats the bad news? Lawyer says, You're going to be executed!! Prisoner, "What possible good news could you have?" Lawyer: "I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance"!!
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

They're very 'girly' sized bottles, aren't they? :confused:

(Thinks :think: ) I must add "Miller Lite" to the list of products that I would NEVER buy, under any circumstances. Thanks for that, Bob!

I'm minded to wonder.... What products have any of us decided NEVER to buy, purely because of the adverts 'impact' on us, personally?
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

My brother decided never to buy Budweiser because of its ads' horrible treatment of women.

Luckily there are plenty and growing number of craft brews, micro-brews with excellent flavor in all varieties.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Oh dear - man caught referring to 'fall' as 'autumn'. Where does that leave the majority of British men - who use the term 'autumn' rather than 'fall' :rolleyes: We're obviously not as 'manly' as our American counterparts :D

Presumably it's all in fun. Unfortunately, some will take it seriously.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

uh...guys?

Post by r1g0r »

this may come as a shock to some, but this ad campaign is based on self-deprecating humor.

you know, making fun of ones self?

methinks there might be a bit too much starch in some people's undies.
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
trainman
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, Land Down Under!

Post by trainman »

Hmm...

Light beer in the first place is extremely "girly".

*)(#%!_@(&% Yanks... (Runs from bottle being thrown from the audience)
Trainman is...

...Geek in Goth clothing!
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Brideshead Revisited?

Post by Sasquatch »

Charlie wrote:Oh dear - man caught referring to 'fall' as 'autumn'. Where does that leave the majority of British men - who use the term 'autumn' rather than 'fall' :rolleyes: We're obviously not as 'manly' as our American counterparts.
Well, now that you mention it, we Yanks have always had our suspicions...I mean, who knows what happens to you British lads when thay pack you off to boarding school? :sarcastic:

(Just kidding :) )

Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Sasquatch wrote:Well, now that you mention it, we Yanks have always had our suspicions...I mean, who knows what happens to you British lads when thay pack you off to boarding school? :sarcastic:

(Just kidding :) )

Sasq
Hey, you're right; I went to boarding school and now I want to wear skirts :). What more proof could you want?

Have fun,

ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Milfmog wrote:Hey, you're right; I went to boarding school and now I want to wear skirts :). What more proof could you want?
From the age of 11 I went to an all-boys school, so I missed out on envying the girls their skirts - didn't think of it in primary school. I'm catching up now though :)

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Things I'd never buy because of their ads

Post by Since1982 »

Budweiser products, Milwaulkee's Best Light beer, Miller Products, Geico Auto Insurance, Quiznos products (because of their ad that has a voice in the background going "M-M-MMM" and a written rendition saying M-M-MM...supposing them to be the same. Their not. This is a few that readily come to mind. I'm sure there are many more. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
crfriend
Master Barista

I need more coffee

Post by crfriend »

Milfmog wrote:Hey, you're right; I went to boarding school and now I want to wear skirts :). What more proof could you want?
I can't be fully awake yet and need more coffee. The first time I read the second sentence above I managed to drop the "r" in "proof". Needless to say, the meaning changed somewhat! :D
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

crfriend wrote:I can't be fully awake yet and need more coffee. The first time I read the second sentence above I managed to drop the "r" in "proof". Needless to say, the meaning changed somewhat! :D
Not that much, afterall I DO wear a skirt :)

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

proof of poofiness

Post by Since1982 »

Oh GO POOF yourselves!!! :)