Get yourself ignored!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Get yourself ignored!

Post by Stu »

Some guys here revel in the attention a kilt gets them. For others, however, the desire is to wear what you want without being stared at or attracting comments or (worse) ridicule. A lot of newbies here proudly post that "I DID IT!! :cheer: " - which suggests they had been considering wearing a skirt in public for some time but had been afraid. There is absolutely no need for trepidation - it's just a case of choosing the RIGHT skirt, the RIGHT things to wear it with and the RIGHT attitude.

Here's my formula for wearing a skirt in public without raising an eyebrow. I appreciate some people may disagree (feel free ;) ) or may want to add something. I hope it helps anyone who is looking here but has still to find the courage to take the plunge.

The Skirt:

Preferably plain fabric - best without embroidery or motiffs.

Fabric that is used for menswear, too - e.g. denim, canvas, corduroy, plain wool or cotton.

No shorter than an inch or so above the knee

Solid colour - either a subdued colour such as black/navy/grey or brown, or a primary colour. Avoid pastels.

Hot weather - sarong with pattern/design/colours appropriate for a man

Worn With:

If skirt has belt-loops - a broad belt.

Socks or (if cold) thick, knitted tights.

Boots or sports-shoes (sandals if a sarong)

Co-ordinating shirt/sweater/jacket

Attitude:

Put on the skirt and FORGET ABOUT IT. Do not expect, nor look for, any reaction whatsoever.

Be bold and brazen. Look people in the eye. Smile as you would normally. If someone has a problem with it - that's their bad luck.

Don't be tempted to fiddle with it, constantly adjust it or straighten it or pull it down.

Now go for it!

Stu
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Stu wrote:Here's my formula for wearing a skirt in public without raising an eyebrow. I appreciate some people may disagree (feel free ;) ) or may want to add something. I hope it helps anyone who is looking here but has still to find the courage to take the plunge.

The Skirt:

Preferably plain fabric - best without embroidery or motiffs.
Subdued prints can work as well, although you'll not blend into the background as well as you would wearing a plain garment. Bold prints will get you noticed, so if you're not looking for that avoid those.

I guess the intent here is to make the garment as "plain" as possible so as to not "entice te viewer's eye".
Stu wrote:Fabric that is used for menswear, too - e.g. denim, canvas, corduroy, plain wool or cotton.
These are fine for not getting noticed in, but they're just so boring. {shrug}
Stu wrote:Attitude:

Put on the skirt and FORGET ABOUT IT. Do not expect, nor look for, any reaction whatsoever.

Be bold and brazen. Look people in the eye. Smile as you would normally. If someone has a problem with it - that's their bad luck.
You nailled it with that last paragraph, Stu. Well said.

In short, just put it on and get on with it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
me012247

Post by me012247 »

Like I always say: Just do it !!
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]It is Snowing Down South[/FONT] :ninjajig: :cheer:
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Color choices

Post by Since1982 »

Stu, those color choices you posted remind me of mens OTHER garments. So dull and boring we might as well be penguins all lined up in a row. I got an A.B. Mason shoes catalog in the mail today. I took one look inside so far, and you sure can tell the difference between the men's shoes and the ladies shoes. Color is all over the women's shoes and the men's shoes are all the same tired old brown, black, dark green, dark brownish black, dark blackish brown with 1 sample of a white basketball shoe. Where, pray tell, is it written that all men must look all the time like they are just going to, or just coming from a funeral? Black, brown, gray, dark blue, dark, dark, plain, somber, borrrrrrringgggggg.....crfriend at least always looks like he is proud of the color choices he makes. I like bright colors too. Like my bright orange T-shirts or bright orange skirts. I even have a straight skirt that is aquamarine with large white flowers all over it. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Since1982 - you have missed my point. If you want to wear bright colours or pastel shades or even 'feminine' fabrics - fine - do it. You will probably attract attention and not all of it will be positive, but if you can handle that - great!

My post is entitled "Get yourself ignored" wasn't aimed at you or those like you. It is aimed at those who would love to go out in a skirt but are afraid to do so because of a fear of negative reactions such as ridicule or worse. All such people want is to be able to go out in a skirt and for nobody to notice them. I'm simply telling them how to do that. If they want to wear bright colours in due course - fine - they have already overcome the hurdle of the first skirt outing.

Stu
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

Yeah, You know I started out wearing plain black tops and black trainers with my kilt, but I've moved on to a modern sweatshirt, a little jewellery and arbitrary trainers.
As I've said before, the best way to avoid negative comments is to go out with female companions (apologies to those who have none such available). Having said that, I'm not one to shy away from showy clothes, skirt or no skirt.
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

crfriend wrote:Subdued prints can work as well, although you'll not blend into the background as well as you would wearing a plain garment. Bold prints will get you noticed, so if you're not looking for that avoid those.

I guess the intent here is to make the garment as "plain" as possible so as to not "entice te viewer's eye".

These are fine for not getting noticed in, but they're just so boring. {shrug}
Not boring at all for those taking the plunge. My plunge with a Tenino blue denim CitySkirt and Comfilons was indeed an adventure. I intend to plunge again when my Tacoma gets here...
crfriend wrote:You nailled it with that last paragraph, Stu. Well said.

In short, just put it on and get on with it.
Unless you're going regimental!!:D

binx
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

binx wrote:[Plain fabrics like denim are] Not boring at all for those taking the plunge. My plunge with a Tenino blue denim CitySkirt and Comfilons was indeed an adventure. I intend to plunge again when my Tacoma gets here...
My comment was more directed to the general drab nature of "manly" fabrics, not so much as to the sense of "boring" in the context of an initial "plunge". I have long chafed at the fact that the range of fabrics available for men is so horribly limited and, in many cases, uncomfortable -- and those that aren't uncomfortable (e.g. denim, until it's completely worn out) are simply drab.

Interestingly, when it comes to things like tights (Comfilons are just that, but marketed to men), I find that the "underpinnings" are more of a "skirt thing" than a "girly thing" -- slips, for instance, fall squarely into that category. If somebody mentions "a slip" he's immediately accused of being effiminate; this is not true because a slip has a functional purpose, and wearing one with a skirt has practical benefits that are not gender-specific. The same thing holds for tights.
Binx wrote:Unless you're going regimental!!:D
Now that's just TMI ("too much information")! :D What one wears underneath is his business and nobody else's.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

I meant that someone might be taking the plunge regimental, in which case would want to pay attention to your surroundings, weather conditions, how you sit...etc. Specifically the comment:

"...Don't be tempted to fiddle with it, constantly adjust it or straighten it or pull it down..." would not necessarily apply.

binx
deebee

Post by deebee »

I've worn skirts around the house to the point where I don't really notice. But having only just this last week appeared in public, and probably more significantly in front of my daughters, in a kilt (denim) maybe I don't have too much room to comment.

Can't say I got much attention, but then perhaps one of my daughters having dayglo pink hair had something to do with that. Perhaps that's the key...

But I have been buying womens clothes for some time, for colour, styling and fabric. There's no sign of recognition from men, but I get the odd knowing look from women. The point is that I have a wide range of clothes, some in quite obviously womens styles to those who look, and in a wide range of colours, as well as a decent collection of silver jewellery. I just reckon that everything at once is too much - making too many statements at once.

Having said that, the best way of all not to get noticed, is to dress in the brightest lycra you can find, top it with a bright yellow helmet and get on top of a bright blue bike. It won't be long before some divvy in a car doesn't notice you, and you can get past your next door neighbour without them recognising you. (yes its happened...)
Ash

Post by Ash »

Hi all,
I went out Saturday morning into the city centre wearing an ankle-length denim skirt from Long Tall Sally (it's delicious too wear, very good quality item), dark green turtle neck top with a denim jacket and a red cotton scarf; black knee-high tights and plain black velcro trainers on my feet. Had to queue outside the post office for ten minutes or so since I was a little early. I received a few quizzical looks, nothing more. Once people had had a look, figured out I was harmless, they didn't pay my any more attention. Same thing in the library later, and Waterstones. After that I walked up a tree-lined pedestrian area called New Walk, very pleasant in the spring sunshine, with the wind in my trees?? The only down-side was a couple of early morning street drunks who just had to yell out that I was wearing a skirt and (shock! Horor! Awe!) carrying a black shoulder-bag???? Like I know what I'm wearing. Duh!
Anyway apart from that it was a totally pleasant morning. I did what I needed to do, and apart from the meaningless comments from those two idiots, a total non-event. The fact that I had a black leather shoulder bag seemed more noticed that the skirt. Looking forward to the weather warming up so I can lose the trainers and get out my sandals and slides.

All best wishes,
Ash
Daring to be different.