Mountain Kilt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Mountain Kilt

Post by AMM »

Does anyone know if the XL Mountain kilt
will fit a 44 inch waist?

I'd buy it, but only if I can wear it.
Thanks for all the fish.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

XL is 36'' approximately

Post by Since1982 »

You can do what I did tho. I bought 2 of them, cut out a panel with no pockets in the rear, cut out a panel with pockets from the 2nd skirt, sewed it into place to make the whole skirt wider for my wide body and got 4 extra pockets as well. :)

You could also just buy a single skirt, pick up some similar type and color material and put a section in to make it wider, I'd put any added section in the rear. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
jlhansen

My critique ...

Post by jlhansen »

... I received my Mountain "kilt" in the mail the other day. It is sized an XL, and I have 38"-39" waist. The fit was snug. The length from waist to hem is 22", which reaches just below the kneecap (I am 6'-0" tall). The skirt is "chamois lined (not completely lined), conical waist, durable quick-drying fabric (poplin-like)". The surprising feature for me was the right over left wrap format ... it felt awkard as I was unused to it. It has plenty of room for a long stride, and is a very lightweight garment.

That being said, I am happy to support a major retailer dabbling its foot into the men's skirt market; but for me it is not the garment I would want for my wardrobe.

So, instead of returning it; I am going to offer it to the person "demonstrating the most need" here at the Cafe. For the prepaid price of $25US, I will send it to you.

PM me with your "needs assessment" (or if you are real daring, and get extra "brownie points", you can post it to this thread), and I will let you know what I decide.

John
firedawg

mountain kilt retailer

Post by firedawg »

longshadows

Post by longshadows »

jlhansen wrote:... The surprising feature for me was the right over left wrap format ... it felt awkard as I was unused to it. John
I was wondering about this point. Sounds to me like the "kilt" is designed with women in mind. Both due to the "right over left" closure (like a woman's shirt) and the sizing configuration. "XL" only goes up to a waist size of 40"? Let's get real.

So, I'm wondering, if the marketers, seller, etc. will take notice of the fact that it's men who are buying these items--and not large women.

Yes, I have one on order too, but if we hope that a "surge" in orders by men will translate into a line of kilts in the next LLBean catalog, I'm not holding my breath :rolleyes: . (Just imagine the possibilities, however!)
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Michael in Maine[/FONT]
hiker

Post by hiker »

longshadows wrote:So, I'm wondering, if the marketers, seller, etc. will take notice of the fact that it's men who are buying these items--and not large women.

Yes, I have one on order too, but if we hope that a "surge" in orders by men will translate into a line of kilts in the next LLBean catalog, I'm not holding my breath :rolleyes: . (Just imagine the possibilities, however!)
I have a feeling that it will take men wearing it (and other kilts/skirts) to translate into actual new products by mainline clothing stores. I don't think we are anywhere near the tipping point on this. I think this is noise on the way to a future that happened to carry over to a (sort of) mainline vendor. If we were anywhere near the tipping point we would seeing a lot more of these types of events and a lot more men in kilts. Most here would not be buying mountain hardware gear unless it was a skirt/kilt. There are a few exceptions of course but ask yourself how much mountaineering/backpacking equipment you purchased in the past year.

On the issue of sizes -- the kilt I rec'd was inline with their sizing chart for all their garments.
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/images/sizingUS.pdf
I would note that a number of their mens garments are not available in xxl and larger. They perceive their audience to be fit and active.

-- hiker
longshadows

Post by longshadows »

hiker wrote:On the issue of sizes -- the kilt I rec'd was inline with their sizing chart for all their garments.
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/images/sizingUS.pdf
I would note that a number of their mens garments are not available in xxl and larger. They perceive their audience to fit and active.
-- hiker
I stand corrected. Thanks. :)
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Michael in Maine[/FONT]
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

iain wrote:I would buy one right now--but buying in America can't be done on the great international network of computers unless you have an american-address credit card.

I've been through all the same hoops before trying to get Christmas presents to relatives in America.. Credit card? nope. PayPal? Nope. I'll send cash? We can't accept it. I'll transfer money from my bank in the UK? Can only be done after filling in forms and waiting a week. Send certified cheque? Will take a week to draw up and a week to send.

It all gets a bit tedious. You can even get onto ebay.com, an American site, go and make a purchase, and find it's a UK company who "doesn't send to America".

Great idea, and I'd like to help, but I have my foot on the gas while 300 people with other ideas have their feet on the brakes. Can't be done!
Thanks Iain, you've saved me time and effort. I'd like to have one of these kilts but will try and find something similar this side of the pond. You never know, someone might be importing them ...

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

If

Post by Since1982 »

If you feel you can trust someone in our group, you could send him/her the money + shipping money and he/she could order the kilt for you, then send it to you as soon as they recieve it. I'd gladly do that for anyone as I am retired and have all the time that's left to me in this life to do anything I want. Just a thought. I ordered 2 and have already recieved them, and have not altered them yet to fit me. I could send you one of those if you wanted, just to speed things up. They are Juniper in color. That's a dark purple color. The interesting thing about those "Men's" mountain kilts is when you recieve them and look at the sewn in labels inside the waistband it says on every one. "XL Womens" LOL. So REI and others are just (hopefully) jumping on the bandwagon of selling another type garment to men. They are not shaped for men, most folks fit anyway but to some they will need alterations.

If you decide to try this suggestion, I'd suggest you send a bank/banque check/cheque that is already paid for to the bank/banque to speed up the delivery to you. I was in the Commercial Federal Fisheries Permits business for 18 years and did quite well in it. My main claim to fame with all the clients of mine and the ones thinking about dealing with me was my high reputation for honesty. All my deals were done by the single or both parties in any transaction sending ME the money and/or the Permit up front. I'd not have been able to be the # 1 dealer in that business if I'd ever been dishonest with anyone. I realize there's no way for anyone to check on this that I've said other than calling the NOAA Fishing Permits division at 1-850-722-3561. IF that is still the same number for them. I've been retired from the business for 4 years now and it might have been changed.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
jlhansen

Post by jlhansen »

Since1982 wrote:The interesting thing about those "Men's" mountain kilts is when you recieve them and look at the sewn in labels inside the waistband it says on every one. "XL Womens"
Mine clearly states "Mens XL" on both the inside tag and the tag loosely attached to the outside of the garment.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

That's interesting

Post by Since1982 »

Mine doesn't, it just as clearly says Womens XL I bought mine from REI. Who did you buy yours from? :think:

jlhansen

Post by jlhansen »

Since1982 wrote:Who did you buy yours from?
REI ... mail order
hiker

Post by hiker »

Mine says "Men's L." It is khaki purchased from REI by mail order. As a comment the only men's color available is khaki.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Well, I called them.

Post by Since1982 »

I called them up today and asked why mine said "womans XL" on it. The answer was, after they looked up my order that they were very sorry, they'd misunderstood what I needed and thought I wanted the Rapid Water Skirt when I said Men's kilt, so they sent me 2 of the wrong thing. NOW that all you guys have ordered the kilts, I have to wait until the 18th of April when they get the 2nd re-order in before I can get what I ordered. They are sending me return labels to send the other 2 back ...I might think on that a bit tho, they still ARE pretty nice garments and don't look that much different than the Mountain Kilts do. I might just keep what they did send me as they are really nice straight skirts with tons of pockets and pay for the Mountain Kilt too. I should have thought something was amiss when I noticed the 2 cost only $53.75 for 2 instead of the $49.00 for one of the mountain kilts. I just gave them my credit card number and it was 2 weeks before I knew what I'd paid for them when my statement came. So they're sending me the kilt no charge for shipping..O well..anything works. :)

MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

jlhansen wrote:Mine clearly states "Mens XL" on both the inside tag and the tag loosely attached to the outside of the garment.
Mine says Men's as well