Cowboy boots?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
longshadows

Cowboy boots?

Post by longshadows »

Well, I have a pair of "western style," pointed-toe, mid-calf, brown leather boots, which are extremely comfortable. (Those of you who wear a good pair of boots know all about that.) I haven't worn them in years, since in order to do so, I really need a longer pair of jeans than what I can wear with the rest of my shoes, so I haven't bothered to spend the money on a separate wardrobe for one pair of boots.

BUT! Kilts open up a whole new world of possibilities. Has anyone had any experience with wearing "cowboy" boots with his kilt? What sort of socks did you wear?

Thanks!
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Michael in Maine[/FONT]
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

I wouldn't wear cowboy boots with a traditional kilt. Looks too strange. But, with a Utilikilt, like the blue denim model, go ahead. Probably navy blue or black socks would work best, if you're going to do that.

A better boot for a traditional kilt would be english riding boots. Just make sure you wear kilt hose underneath them...
-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
piperut

Post by piperut »

longshadows wrote:Well, I have a pair of "western style," pointed-toe, mid-calf, brown leather boots, which are extremely comfortable. (Those of you who wear a good pair of boots know all about that.) I haven't worn them in years, since in order to do so, I really need a longer pair of jeans than what I can wear with the rest of my shoes, so I haven't bothered to spend the money on a separate wardrobe for one pair of boots.

BUT! Kilts open up a whole new world of possibilities. Has anyone had any experience with wearing "cowboy" boots with his kilt? What sort of socks did you wear?

Thanks!
Um, don't do it! You will never live it down!
A few years back, I was on a cruise with a group of friends. One of them said something about buying a few drinks if I would wear my boots, and hat on western night with my kilt. Being a person with Scottish Ancestry, and figuring I could get some free drinks... well, I did.

Now, some people have photos I am never going to live down. It has been about five years, and I have managed to keep them away from the people at home, however... my wife keeps trying to get a copy to give to one of the people in the local Scottish Society we belong to.

Don't do it! You will never live it down. Free drinks are not worth the trouble.

roland
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Wait a minute...

Post by Since1982 »

Don't they have horses and cows in Scotland? A scottish boy on a horse herding cows could wear cowboy boots no? I saw cows in ''Rob Roy'' the movie, and I saw horses in "The War To End All Wars" movie which starts in Scotland. Wait a minute, I saw horses in "Braveheart" too..in the whole movie. I bet William Wallace would have worn them if they'd been invented yet...LOL

:stir:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Boatman398

Post by Boatman398 »

King George wears them. That is enough to make fool of any attire
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Since1982 wrote:Don't they have horses and cows in Scotland? A scottish boy on a horse herding cows could wear cowboy boots no? I saw cows in ''Rob Roy'' the movie, and I saw horses in "The War To End All Wars" movie which starts in Scotland. Wait a minute, I saw horses in "Braveheart" too..in the whole movie. I bet William Wallace would have worn them if they'd been invented yet...LOL :stir:
Flipping heck, Skip! Have you seen the size of Highland Cattle? If they don't want to be herded, then they simply won't budge! You have to lift all that hair and whisper into their ear, nicely, if you want them to move elsewhere. You can't even round up the blessed sheep without a good sheepdog (or two)! Try persuading a sheep (if you haven't got a dog) that it's not a good idea to lie down and go to sleep in the middle of the A9! :rotfl:
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Tinkers

Post by Since1982 »

The tinkers seemed to do OK herding them with sticks in the movie "Rob Roy" even before old Rob got the herd back to town and got Liam stuck in the side with a horn. I saw a story about the making of Rob Roy and Liam Neeson actually did get a horn in the side, not a bad poke but a poke just the same. :) umm Would that make old Rob Roy a cowpoke? :shake:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

While I can't picture cowboy boots with a kilt I will chime in for wearing the jeans tucked into the boot, Michael. Comfy boots deserve to be worn!

Quiet Mouse
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Cowboy boots and a traditional kilt = not good, as Piperut mentions. A blue denim Utilikilt with dark blue or black knee socks might work. I think I'd still be more likely to do english riding boots with a skirted garment, if the top of the boot is to be seen.

Jeans tucked into cowboy boots, sure. Just make sure that the uppers of the boots are loose enough to do that.
-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

while your minds are on it, what about jeans tucked into ordinary combat boots? I tried this once and got told it looked stupid. to my eyes it looked different, but I wouldn't have said stupid! obviously, not so they're all sticking out higgledy piggledy, but when you have a neat pair of boots, I never understood why they have to be covered up.

with a kilt, it's great because the boots can be properly seen without any effort. so a kilt is a big plus in my view just for that. but jeans.. you get them all wet and muddy if you don't tuck them in, plus you have to hide the boots.

so where's the justice in that, my friend? where am dat justice??
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Sometimes the colors just don't go together right for boots and pants so you can always have the jeans go into the socks first to give another color layer. Of course people that think the tucked jeans look is stupid won't like socks outside any better but I have found them unwilling to challenge a person in tie-dye pants and blue lace up boots since I am beyond help to begin with. :roses: Add a black Trogdor t-shirt and it is my favorite outfit. I go out the door thinking everybody will admire what I wear. Dress for yourself and you'll make the most important person happy.

Quiet Mouse
DavidsSkirts

Western Style Cowboy boots, VS real workers boots...

Post by DavidsSkirts »

These days, homosexuals wear "Western style" Cowboy boots and Stetson hats; real cowboys wear elastic-sided work boots (like Blundstones and R.M.Williams...), and Akubra type hats. This isn't homophobic or bashing, but just a fact of life.
:D
... it all depends on the particular message/image you want to send at the time..
David...
Lake Macquarie (aka paradise..); NSW; Australia.
hiker

Post by hiker »

hmm, I don't know about Australia but there are number of men (including cowboys) in the US who would be surprised to hear your thoughts on their sexual orientation.

hiker
longshadows

Strange point of view!

Post by longshadows »

DavidsSkirts wrote:These days, homosexuals wear "Western style" Cowboy boots and Stetson hats; real cowboys wear elastic-sided work boots (like Blundstones and R.M.Williams...), and Akubra type hats. This isn't homophobic or bashing, but just a fact of life.
:D
... it all depends on the particular message/image you want to send at the time..
Well, I'm sure George W. Bush and several thousand other men, who "celebrate" their Texas (not to mention Western U.S. and Canadian) roots would beg to dffer, unless, of course you have somehow determined that they are all actually "homosexuals".
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Michael in Maine[/FONT]
DavidsSkirts

Ah, Texas ...

Post by DavidsSkirts »

longshadows wrote:Well, I'm sure George W. Bush and several thousand other men, who "celebrate" their Texas (not to mention Western U.S. and Canadian) roots would beg to dffer, unless, of course you have somehow determined that they are all actually "homosexuals".
:p
home of the brave, land of the free ...
:cheer:
where the men are men, and the cows run scared..
:cheer: :cheer:
at least now we know why those Cowboy boots flare out at the top.
:cheer: :ninjajig: :cheer:
ah, Texas - that's the place for me .
:cheer: :rotfl: :cheer:

(And I would also like to give a special acknowlegement here to Dick Cheney, for re-introducing that good ol' boy Texas tradition of Lawyer Shooting - must admit that seems much more sporting and civilised a past-time, compared to those most unsporting Turkey Shoots, that many Texans apparently also used to to celebrate both their heritage and tradition, and their manhood..).
David...
Lake Macquarie (aka paradise..); NSW; Australia.