Dua Lipa’s SNL performance featuring skirted male dancers

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Re: Dua Lipa’s SNL performance featuring skirted male dancers

Post by TSH »

Spirou003 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:15 am
jamie001 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:14 amMost men do not want participate in women’s activities because even though we pay lip service to men and women being equal, this is not really the case. Women are still considered inferior and most men still subscribe to the mindset that they wouldn’t want to lower their status by participating in women’s activities.
Not going to speculate on why men can be reluctant to participate in women's activities.
There's no speculation to be had, anyway. The transparent misogyny of men rejecting women's pursuits and aspirations is pretty evident by how society frowns on men being effeminate. It's historically documented.
mr seamstress wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:51 pm https://www.billboard.com/music/pop/dua ... 235593954/

https://kworb.net/youtube/artist/dualip ... e_vignette

Dua Lipa is having some profound effect on todays teenagers. Teenage girls enjoying video of male dancers in skirts.
No, teenage girls simply enjoy Dua Lipa's music. That's all it is. It has nothing to do with male dancers wearing skirts in her recent SNL performance. She has a "profound effect" on teenagers today for the same reason other pop artists have had a "profound effect" of yesteryear's teenagers. You're reading too much into a small thing.
mr seamstress
Distinguished Member

Post by mr seamstress »

TSH wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:18 am
mr seamstress wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:51 pm https://www.billboard.com/music/pop/dua ... 235593954/

https://kworb.net/youtube/artist/dualip ... e_vignette

Dua Lipa is having some profound effect on todays teenagers. Teenage girls enjoying video of male dancers in skirts.
No, teenage girls simply enjoy Dua Lipa's music. That's all it is. It has nothing to do with male dancers wearing skirts in her recent SNL performance. She has a "profound effect" on teenagers today for the same reason other pop artists have had a "profound effect" of yesteryear's teenagers. You're reading too much into a small thing.
It has been noted in history fashion has change because of one simple reason of music's artist. Teens has follow their favorite artist and and their fashion they portray. Dua Lipa going to have an effect on teens by having men dancing skirts. What is debatable is the number of teens that it is effecting.

https://www.universityoffashion.com/blo ... r-fashion/

Here you have an opportunity to strike up a conversation with teens and talk to them about Dua Lipa and her music videos of having men dancing in skirts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

mr seamstress wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:02 pmDua Lipa going to have an effect on teens by having men dancing skirts. What is debatable is the number of teens that it is effecting.
And that effect will disappear immediately once Dua Lipa rejoins obscurity. Any measurable "change" will be fleeting at best.

Specifically, if the girls start to find boys wearing skirts "hot", the boys will respond in kind hoping to get lucky. Once obscurity returns, the fickle girl mind will revert, the attitudes will revert, and the boys, will be back to square one, likely wondering, "Why did I even try that?"

In short, a "flash in the pan".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
mr seamstress
Distinguished Member

Post by mr seamstress »

crfriend wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:30 pm
mr seamstress wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:02 pmDua Lipa going to have an effect on teens by having men dancing skirts. What is debatable is the number of teens that it is effecting.
And that effect will disappear immediately once Dua Lipa rejoins obscurity. Any measurable "change" will be fleeting at best.

Specifically, if the girls start to find boys wearing skirts "hot", the boys will respond in kind hoping to get lucky. Once obscurity returns, the fickle girl mind will revert, the attitudes will revert, and the boys, will be back to square one, likely wondering, "Why did I even try that?"

In short, a "flash in the pan".
Today we still have men with long hair that was started with the Beatles. Boys went out and started wearing their hair like the Beatles and longer. Dua Lipa influence on teens may last way longer than you think. We still have Elvis Presly impersonators still influencing.

Did Dua Lipa went to Walmart buy those skirts for men to wear or did she have them special made? Question here is when will they hit the market and would you go out buy one just to support MIS?

And now I finally got some admittance that Dua Lipa is going to some effect on teens. Maybe I should do a happy dance to celebrate. This might have an effect on grumpy old men to smile.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

mr seamstress wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:26 pmToday we still have men with long hair that was started with the Beatles. Boys went out and started wearing their hair like the Beatles and longer. Dua Lipa influence on teens may last way longer than you think. We still have Elvis Presly impersonators still influencing.
Elvis "left the building" quite some time ago, and, yes, echoes are still heard, but nothing like the original thunder. On hair -- men's hair in the Old World always tended to be a bit longer than men's hair in the New World -- especially once the United States started shaving their soldiers so it'd be harder for the conscripts to defect (they'd be trivial to find because shorn hair was not common for Europeans). Thus, that wasn't completely the Beatles; it was a combination of things -- and the "corporate look" still in the US is pretty close to the Military Look. This caused some fun for me in the late '80s when one of the systems managers I had to deal was an ex-US Marine who still wore a flat-top crew cut -- and I showed up with slightly longer than shoulder-length hair which he had a hard time dealing with. We eventually came to an accord on the matter and became able to laugh about it, but that was primarily because I had skills that he needed and was willing to work with him on that. So, long hair is more complex than the Beatles -- vastly more complex.

I don't know how long Dua Lipa's reign may be; but given the typical half-lives of modern starlets, it's probably not going to be long, so this may be a done deal by the end of the year, or even the season.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The change we need is not going to come from starlets, jocks, celebrities, or the like. It's going to come from us, because of what's required. This is not something that is going to be handed to us, nor is it something that someone else can do -- we need to own it. Face it, until men "grow the proverbial pair" and retake some of the intellectual, behavioural, and emotional ground lost to them, this notion is going to go precisely nowhere. And it's also going to go precisely nowhere if the women won't adapt because of the nature of normal human relationships and the dynamics thereof.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

mr seamstress wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:02 pmDua Lipa going to have an effect on teens by having men dancing skirts.
Not in these two videos she won't. Why would it be her goal in the first place? It doesn't affect her much, just like it wouldn't affect any female who enjoys the fashion freedom we men and boys don't — that many, MANY ladies take for granted.
https://www.universityoffashion.com/blo ... r-fashion/

Here you have an opportunity to strike up a conversation with teens and talk to them about Dua Lipa and her music videos of having men dancing in skirts.
I know I don't throw my biography (let alone my age) out there, but I, myself, was a teenager not too long ago. Not interested in a bunch of dumb kids who can't string along a sentence without injecting the word "like" constantly after every three or four other words. A bunch of dumb kids who can't think for themselves, and need a pop artist to decide what's "hip" for them, fashion-wise. I hate herd mentality like this. It's bloody stupid. You're also assuming this would even work in the first place, let alone in the long term. Not every single fashion statement a popular music artist makes reaches the mindless masses, believe it or not. We've seen rappers wear skirts and dresses — look how that turned out.
mr seamstress wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:26 pm Today we still have men with long hair that was started with the Beatles. Boys went out and started wearing their hair like the Beatles and longer. Dua Lipa influence on teens may last way longer than you think. We still have Elvis Presly impersonators still influencing.
Not sure if the Beatles actually "started" this; seems more like the emergence of other rock bands with members sporting longer hair is what popularised this phenomenon. Even still, boys were still forced to have their short in many institutions, and it was certainly not any different for men in the workplace. This repression isn't entirely gone in this century either, so it's nowhere close to being a universally accepted look; morons still think long hair = feminine. "Men no bes femininezzz!11! Men bes manzly, ha ha! Gurly men GAYYYYY!" That's how stupid I think the average person is. If you can't already tell, I have a deep-seated disdain for this ****** species.
Did Dua Lipa went to Walmart buy those skirts for men to wear or did she have them special made? Question here is when will they hit the market and would you go out buy one just to support MIS?
Or maybe they decided to buy and wear them on their own? Who really cares? Again, no. They won't. She's not actively advocating for men to wear skirts; she just has a few on stage wearing them. It's not going to suddenly make men wear skirts just because of a single show she did which featured MiS. Please stop trying to read more into a bloody PERFORMANCE.
And now I finally got some admittance that Dua Lipa is going to some effect on teens. Maybe I should do a happy dance to celebrate. This might have an effect on grumpy old men to smile.
Note my previous statement of stop trying to read more into this. I mean, just take a look at the comments. Use CTRL+F (or on mobile, open the mini menu click on "Find on page") and type in "skirt". See how much "effect" it's having.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

TSH wrote:Or maybe they decided to buy and wear them on their own? Who really cares? <snip> She's not actively advocating for men to wear skirts; she just has a few on stage wearing them. It's not going to suddenly make men wear skirts just because of a single show
<snip>
Please stop trying to read more into a bloody PERFORMANCE.
In the "History" of performances, the best(highest) form of flattery is to "Copy/Emulate the artist".
This holds for 95%, or so, of musicians or actors. IMHO, the "Teen Public" is more likely to copy what
Dua Lipa wore on stage than ANY of the back-ground singers/artists.

They were there to support HER performance, not show-case their own.
They were the 'backdrop' which her performance was set against.

A good photographer selects "the background" which best supports the object/person
being photographed. You don't select a winter background to showcase swimmers
on the beach, just like you don't select a beach scene to showcase winter parkas.

What SHE wore on stage is, or will be, emulated by the "Teenie Boppers" in the public.
The 'girls' will wear similar styles(as bait) to attract 'boys' into their circle(web).
Remember, SEX SELL PRODUCTS. What attracts the most attention - A bikini-clad,
curvaceous woman caressing a Corvette or other sports car, or the sports car itself
draws the attention of the viewer :?:

YMMV :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
mr seamstress
Distinguished Member

Post by mr seamstress »

Dua Lipa is going to make videos for profit. Since she had men in skirts question is was there a company paid to promote skirts for men? This woman is out there to make ever last penny she can. Since her SNL performance her popularity bounce back up and making a huge profit. These music videos is about more than music, they also contain like features about selling merchandise to their followers.
Dua Lipa is another performer that can be added to the list dealing with MIS with Harry Styles. Whether it is 1% or 5% chance that teens see it is okay have men in skirts, we need to accept the fact chances increase daily when public accept men in skirts.

Fashion doesn't change with everyone wakes up one morning and find a new fashions in their closet. Fashion change because someone created a new look and other people copied that look, then more people copied those people in creating a trend. Any one can start a trend if other people decides to copy them. Dua Lipa might do a better job in influencing teens about men in skirts than Harry Styles can by wearing one.

We either try to be slightly positive that wheels are turning in accepting MIS or be total arrogant put one and anther down by offering others to be positive with some hope changes are coming. Unfortunately for some they want changes they can grind their teeth in fast.
mr seamstress
Distinguished Member

Post by mr seamstress »

Uncle Al wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:22 pm A bikini-clad,
curvaceous woman caressing a Corvette or other sports car, or the sports car itself
draws the attention of the viewer :?:

YMMV :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Would you agree automakers would fight in getting their vehicle displayed in that video with a bikini-clad, curvaceous woman? This woman can help in selling their vehicle to her followers. Fans will buy products seen in videos. They want to own what she owns.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

mr seamstress wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:06 pmWould you agree automakers would fight in getting their vehicle displayed in that video with a bikini-clad, curvaceous woman? This woman can help in selling their vehicle to her followers. Fans will buy products seen in videos. They want to own what she owns.
'Twas already done in the era of "muscle cars". Nowadays it's all about "testosterone trucks" (SUVs, monster pick 'em ups, and the like) and the demographic has changed. The 2020s do not resemble the 1960s in the least. Today it's all about the "macho chicks" who want the latest in monster vehicles.

The train carrying "muscle cars" left the depot several decades ago in case anybody didn't notice.
mr seamstress
Distinguished Member

Post by mr seamstress »

crfriend wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:32 pm
mr seamstress wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:06 pmWould you agree automakers would fight in getting their vehicle displayed in that video with a bikini-clad, curvaceous woman? This woman can help in selling their vehicle to her followers. Fans will buy products seen in videos. They want to own what she owns.
'Twas already done in the era of "muscle cars". Nowadays it's all about "testosterone trucks" (SUVs, monster pick 'em ups, and the like) and the demographic has changed. The 2020s do not resemble the 1960s in the least. Today it's all about the "macho chicks" who want the latest in monster vehicles.

The train carrying "muscle cars" left the depot several decades ago in case anybody didn't notice.
It would have been nice if you recognized I was responding to a hypothetical situation as if auto are still being sold that way. I was making a point beside Dua Lipa what is in the back ground matters. The fact remains manufactures would be wanting to see their products in the back ground because they sell. What Dua Lipa wears may come as first place in sales but manufactures accept second place on other merchandise.
Your comment only discourage those who are thinking about putting on a skirt and become MIS. How many men are reading this forum and seeking info about being MIS. I'm trying like hell in getting them to accept they can wear a skirt in public like rest of us. Positives comments needs to be posted to encourage others who are on sideline reading this forum. That was the least I got and the true subject was ignored. This is your forum you can, you can wright any comment you want. I wish that you accept when we are 5 minutes closer being accepted as MIS and be positive about it.

We can hope there is a teenage girl who wants to imitate Dua Lipa and have boys dancing in skirts just like the video and issue a challenge to others to out perform her on social media. If you only recognize even there is a chance of this happening. Girls will imitate Dua Lipa.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

mr seamstress wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:39 pm
crfriend wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:32 pm

Your comment only discourage those who are thinking about putting on a skirt and become MIS. How many men are reading this forum and seeking info about being MIS. I'm trying like hell in getting them to accept they can wear a skirt in public like rest of us. Positives comments needs to be posted to encourage others who are on sideline reading this forum. That was the least I got and the true subject was ignored. This is your forum you can, you can wright any comment you want. I wish that you accept when we are 5 minutes closer being accepted as MIS and be positive about it.
Not that many, because this forum isn't very active. It's a niche community advocating for a taboo in which much of the general populace wants to keep the status quo as is, denying our liberty to wear what we please. We aren't regarded as people with dignity; we're "aliens" who don't deserve to have relationships, or be allowed in certain workplaces, or even be alive. When we aren't chastised on the basis of our preference towards skirts, we're given false labels with very little knowledge of who we really are. Humans want to judge rather than understand, so this is expected. There's a difference between making positive comments, and just hopelessly clinging on to any bit of news or whatever that features a male wearing a skirt. It doesn't automatically mean progress is made, especially since these SNL videos aren't anything we haven't already seen plenty of times. So, we need to stay at least skeptical until a paradigm shift actually happens. Long before the Internet was even a household commodity — hell, even a concept in most people's minds, there's been a long battle to get the dim-witted masses to understand how stupid gendered clothing is, and it has failed, time and time again.

Over the 60+ years of his life, Carl has been through a lot, much of it involving his advocacy for male fashion freedom. You need to see things from his perspective to understand why his tone is the way it is.

Sometimes, it makes me wonder if life is worth living if I'm part of a species that actively does what it can to destroy themselves and the world around them. It's especially inane how prejudiced people are when it comes to not only skin or gender, but what piece of fabric they wear to cover their skin and gender. Why should I continue being a member of a species of primates this idiotic?
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

About the video links given in the first message of the topic: I can't see them because of country limitations.
I've been curious, and tried to see it from somewhere else. Not sure that what I seen is what have been posted. Here's what I think about it:
In one of the clips, the male skirted band was in background, and their spot was pretty invisible. Actually, there's an eye-catching singer to hide them.
In the second clip, the dancers are at some point in the front of the scene. But not for a long time. Also, their look could be taken for a woman's look, and there are women dancing with them. Given the title "illusions", maybe it's just a logical part of the scene and has nothing to do with acceptance of MIS or whatever.

No pessimism here, just an analysis of what I've seen. If it has anything to do with MIS acceptance, then I would say that at best "it is a very, very timid action". At best, I expect it to have nanoscopic effect. This is already better than no effect, but I don't think we should hope or expect anything from it. As I like to say, it is a concept of "rounding variable": it will not make any difference alone, but in an ocean of other actions it may be the one making the balance to go on the other side.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

Spirou003 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:04 pm About the video links given in the first message of the topic: I can't see them because of country limitations.
I've been curious, and tried to see it from somewhere else. Not sure that what I seen is what have been posted. Here's what I think about it:
In one of the clips, the male skirted band was in background, and their spot was pretty invisible. Actually, there's an eye-catching singer to hide them.
In the second clip, the dancers are at some point in the front of the scene. But not for a long time. Also, their look could be taken for a woman's look, and there are women dancing with them. Given the title "illusions", maybe it's just a logical part of the scene and has nothing to do with acceptance of MIS or whatever.

No pessimism here, just an analysis of what I've seen. If it has anything to do with MIS acceptance, then I would say that at best "it is a very, very timid action". At best, I expect it to have nanoscopic effect. This is already better than no effect, but I don't think we should hope or expect anything from it. As I like to say, it is a concept of "rounding variable": it will not make any difference alone, but in an ocean of other actions it may be the one making the balance to go on the other side.
This is what I've been trying to get @mr seamstress to understand here. This propitious attitude towards an act that doesn't even highlight the skirted members in the background is unfounded; it's a setup for disappointment.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

TSH wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:16 pmOver the 60+ years of his life, Carl has been through a lot, much of it involving his advocacy for male fashion freedom. You need to see things from his perspective to understand why his tone is the way it is.
Indeed, I do not view the world through the same lenses as one who is immersed in it. I endeavour to take several steps back and look at problem areas and what might be done about them. This tactic has also served me in very good stead in my career in computing -- especially when I was working primarily with hardware. It's applicable to vastly more than sociology.

Thus, I am relatively immune to noise like current pop songs, videos, and the like. I'm after deep answers, not superficial salves to slap on a wound. This is the basis for my decades-spanning view, and why I do not put particular importance on "flash-in-the-pan" events. This problem has been with us for decades, and will be with us for decades more (perhaps long after we're all dead) because there has been no attention paid to the driving issues -- the redefinition of "masculinity" into "machismo", the complete marginalisation of men, the marginalisation of men's role in society, and the general disdain for men's rights as human beings. It's as if we don't exist any longer -- and yet we still comprise fully 1/2 of the population (as a whole in spite of our shorter lives than women).

Who, for instance, is paying attention to male-specific cancers? Who is paying attention to the epidemic of male suicide? Who is paying attention to the problem of male depression (which links strongly into suicide)? NOBODY. We're regarded as disposable -- and that's the first aspect that needs to be corrected before we can even hope for anything on the "fashion front".

It's a deep dark hole we need to crawl out of, and pabulum like music videos and the like are not going to have one lick of effect on the low-level drivers.

One cannot identify the cause of a problem if one is stuck in the middle of it. One needs to pull away a bit to start to differentiate the forest from the trees.