Skirts in Schools - No hope for boys

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Skirts in Schools - No hope for boys

Post by crfriend »

Dust wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:42 amNo one is teaching kids to stand up for themselves. You aren't allowed to punch a bully in the face. A kid who does that will be in more trouble than the bully.
That compounds the problem by turning the victim into a double-victim. He gets beaten up by the bully, finally stands up and does something because he knows "the authorities" won't -- and then finds "the authorities" taking it out on him. This is where the parents need to get involved.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Stu wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:09 am
moonshadow wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:04 am Most women and girls won't touch a guy in a skirt.
Unless it's a kilt and the wearer can carry it off. Then, suddenly, the "guy in the skirt" will become an object of lust. Weird, eh?

Maybe that's the route to getting boys to wear skirts - make them tartan, pleated and wrapover style and then they can say they are kilts. Once people - including women and girls - become accustomised to seeing boys in these, they can gradually be changed. Make them solid green or black. Give them elasticated waists rather than wrapover. Remove the pleats and have some in A-line or straight. A series of baby steps.
I see this as a compromise that will keep men in the Man-Box as I stated in my post "Hypothetical Question"
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

crfriend wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:27 pm
Dust wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:42 amNo one is teaching kids to stand up for themselves. You aren't allowed to punch a bully in the face. A kid who does that will be in more trouble than the bully.
That compounds the problem by turning the victim into a double-victim. He gets beaten up by the bully, finally stands up and does something because he knows "the authorities" won't -- and then finds "the authorities" taking it out on him. This is where the parents need to get involved.
Boys need to wail on the bully like Ralphie did in A Christmas Story. He really taught that bully a lesson.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Stu wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:09 am Make them solid green or black.
Some of Irish kilts are solid colors. Saffron is one such color, and I also believe green is.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:09 pmBoys need to wail on the bully like Ralphie did in A Christmas Story. He really taught that bully a lesson.
The problem with that tactic is what I alluded to earlier, and that is where the "authorities" at the school then descend upon the one who has finally had it with being defenceless -- and unless his parents will back him up, the real victim winds up paying a very, very steep price indeed.

I've been known to deal with persistent bullies in that fashion, and have broken a few noses and extracted several teeth in doing so -- but I had very strong backing from my guardians at home. Without that advantage, I would have likely wound up in jail -- at the hands of the people who should have been doing their jobs in the first place so it wouldn't wind up as a case of The Lord of the Flies. Generally speaking, it takes me to only land one good punch and that solves the problem -- except for the one that creates.

Yes, it is that screwed up.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

jamie001 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:08 pm
I see this as a compromise that will keep men in the Man-Box as I stated in my post "Hypothetical Question"
I am quite happy to have a "man box". I just want it way bigger.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Stu wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:52 pmI am quite happy to have a "man box". I just want it way bigger.
This is likely the way that the vast majority of men feel.

I am not interested in being a faux woman. I am happy with being a man.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

moonshadow wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:04 am
Most women and girls won't touch a guy in a skirt. Come on guys, we were all 15 once... what was the most pressing thing on your mind then? Hint- it likely wasn't making a fashion statement!
In theory maybe, in practice I have to wonder if that's actually true. Kind of like the opposite of "girls like guys with freckles." Some guys would probably do it just for attention, amongst other things.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Nah, that's the way it works in practise. At the surface layer, women will act supportive, but when the time comes to actually get involved with a man who wears skirts, they will shy away -- if not run away. BTDT, have the scars to show for it, too.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

timemeddler wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:18 pm
moonshadow wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:04 am
Most women and girls won't touch a guy in a skirt. Come on guys, we were all 15 once... what was the most pressing thing on your mind then? Hint- it likely wasn't making a fashion statement!
In theory maybe, in practice I have to wonder if that's actually true. Kind of like the opposite of "girls like guys with freckles." Some guys would probably do it just for attention, amongst other things.
This is not completely true. Artsy and geeky, and goth women for the most part are the best prospects. Most of these women also have alternative fashion stroll. Stay away from conservative women because you may get the famous Duteronomy verse hurled at you! Don't ever give up who you are for anyone! It is a recipe for mental disaster.
GoSkirtGo

Post by GoSkirtGo »

I happened to do a bit of searching on the website for the school district I graduated from (many years ago) and ran onto a notice about the (current) dress code for the senior activities that require formal attire. They have "Option 1" and "Option 2" which appear to be alternate legal-CYA-names for each set of traditionally gendered wardrobes. (The general day-to-day student dress code has no gendered language.)
Last edited by GoSkirtGo on Thu May 02, 2024 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

jamie001 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:09 am This is not completely true. Artsy and geeky, and goth women for the most part are the best prospects. Most of these women also have alternative fashion stroll. Stay away from conservative women because you may get the famous Duteronomy verse hurled at you! Don't ever give up who you are for anyone! It is a recipe for mental disaster.
funny you should mention that, on another forum awhile back someone told me men's skirts are fairly common in goth culture, and looking at the style, I can imagine it's fairly common.