Skirt from a tablecloth?

For those do-it-yourselfers...
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Skirt from a tablecloth?

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:03 amHa! Though I can be practical at times - for this I figured I'd make a simple paper pattern and use that to determine the radius to cut.
I was just playfully bustin' you. There was precisely no ill intent intended. I, too, fall into Analysis Paralysis from time to time.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Noticed that there are several other tutorials for circle skirts. If anybody is interested I will post links.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:09 am
Coder wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:03 amHa! Though I can be practical at times - for this I figured I'd make a simple paper pattern and use that to determine the radius to cut.
I was just playfully bustin' you. There was precisely no ill intent intended. I, too, fall into Analysis Paralysis from time to time.
I kinda figured, hence the "Ha!". Still... there's a part of me that would go to some extreme like laser cutting it or 3d printing a jig to cut a perfect circle.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Important tool for a simple DIY project.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Grok wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:21 am Important tool for a simple DIY project.
A simple project at what cost?!
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

I was also concerned about where you would put it. I know you have big houses in the US, but even so it is big.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I have access to a 24” x 24” laser cutter, as well as a 24”x48”…. Whether I’d be able to use it - that’s another issue
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:51 pmI have access to a 24” x 24” laser cutter, as well as a 24”x48”…. Whether I’d be able to use it - that’s another issue
A good sharp pair of scissors is more than capable of doing a perfectly decent job of this. We've been making clothes since way before LASER technology.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:31 pm
Coder wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:51 pmI have access to a 24” x 24” laser cutter, as well as a 24”x48”…. Whether I’d be able to use it - that’s another issue
A good sharp pair of scissors is more than capable of doing a perfectly decent job of this. We've been making clothes since way before LASER technology.
Oh I do not disagree - and would only resort to laser for precise needs (such as cutting a gasket). But I love the idea of using one, which is how my projects tend to grow in scope. For this I will truly keep it simple, if I want to get it done in the next two weeks will even have to resort to hand sewing, which is not something I’m enthralled about.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:23 pmOh I do not disagree - and would only resort to laser for precise needs (such as cutting a gasket). But I love the idea of using one, which is how my projects tend to grow in scope.
There is some "sexiness" to the thought of using space-age tech in the creation of things -- and in places, mainly for lingere -- it's already used. That said, for mass-production, the method seems to be to tightly compress many, many layers of fabric and cut it using band-saws.

Ah, the difference between mass-production and one-offs!