So my wife got me a handbag for Christmas….

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: So my wife got me a handbag for Christmas….

Post by Grok »

General types. Not my particular interest, but I must acknowledge the variety, which may be important for self expression.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Another link that didn't work. The web site listed about 30 different types.
TheMissingPiece0809

Post by TheMissingPiece0809 »

Hi Mouse,
I'm Victor1964s wife.
I'm 42 and still end up fumbling trying to find my phone or car keys in my bag.
With my big bag everything disappears into this black hole and fumbling in inevitable. My smaller ones just about hold all the things I need with me, but end up fumbling trying to get the zip closed.
I battle I don't think can ever be won :lol:
As for handbag or man bag? It's just a bag right?
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

TheMissingPiece0809 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:41 pm Hi Mouse,
I'm Victor1964s wife.
I'm 42 and still end up fumbling trying to find my phone or car keys in my bag.
I'm 4 months into bag ownership! I have rather cheated, since I specified a bag with plenty of pockets. So, I have assigned a pocket each to keys and phone as these are typically needed quickly. The members here pointed out that bag colour goes with shoe colour and rather than the blue bag I had, one should have gone with a black or brown. I have now bought a similar black bag with the idea of moving keys and phone to similar pockets so I have a chance of finding them in a timely manner from either bag.....it's a plan?
TheMissingPiece0809 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:41 pm As for handbag or man bag? It's just a bag right?
You are so right. I never liked the "man bag" label and I am quite happy to call a bag a bag. I also don't care if it gets referred to as a handbag, since it is a bag in my hand.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Handbag, manbag, murse, purse, leggings, meggings, boob, moobs, and so on and so on and so on. When women wear pants, are they ever called wants (pronounced like pants)? Were ties for women ever called wies? Names and titles are just some of the many odd things we humans get hung up on. I am inclined to agree with Billy the Bard. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet".
The word purse was used to describe a bag that a person carried long before and gender connotations were ascribed to it.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Modoc wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:39 pmThe word purse was used to describe a bag that a person carried long before and gender connotations were ascribed to it.
There we go. Imagine that!

Hilariously my late ex actually crocheted me a bag from household twine many years ago and which I still occasionally carry. I'm not "bag averse" in the slightest -- and busted the folks who busted me about my custom job no end when they stated up at it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!