Don't worry, most people know we're not trans

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Don't worry, most people know we're not trans

Post by moonshadow »

Uncle Al wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:43 pm I don't agree with the "woke" agenda being force-fed on American society. It is another
way to destroy our way of life, and tries to change or remove the history of our humanity.
I rode with a man once many years ago, we glanced over at a statue of a little girl playing a fiddle. The man commented sarcastically, "wonder how long before they tear down that statue?"

I told him, "John, I really don't care, tear it down, let it stand, it makes no difference to me..."

He replied "one day they're going to destroy something you believe in..."

"John, they already destroyed everything I believed in."

Now I conclude, there is no good, there is no bad, there just is.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:37 am
Uncle Al wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:43 pm I don't agree with the "woke" agenda being force-fed on American society. It is another
way to destroy our way of life, and tries to change or remove the history of our humanity.
I rode with a man once many years ago, we glanced over at a statue of a little girl playing a fiddle. The man commented sarcastically, "wonder how long before they tear down that statue?"

I told him, "John, I really don't care, tear it down, let it stand, it makes no difference to me..."

He replied "one day they're going to destroy something you believe in..."

"John, they already destroyed everything I believed in."

Now I conclude, there is no good, there is no bad, there just is.
I believe in the woke agenda! How about that? Before you get cross and turn away, hear me out. "Woke" just means "awake". I would rather be awake than asleep.
A friend said "you know there was a tribe that fell asleep as soon as they were attacked. They are extinct now".
There are things wrong with wokiness but it's a necessary part of change.
What is "our way of life?" Where do MIS fit in with that way of life? Will the the woke agenda make our lives better or worse?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:19 am"Woke" just means "awake". I would rather be awake than asleep.
No, in this context "woke" means that you've drunk the politically-correct Kool-Aid. It has precisely nothing to do with a state of consciousness.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

"Woke" is just a political word used to invalidate opinions of those on the left, similar to how words like "bigot", "racist", "sexist", etc are used to invalidate the opinions of those on the right. It's a growing list of words that when I see crop up... I change the channel.

More tribal nonsense from those who close their ears but never their mouths.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:50 pm
Barleymower wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:19 am"Woke" just means "awake". I would rather be awake than asleep.
No, in this context "woke" means that you've drunk the politically-correct Kool-Aid. It has precisely nothing to do with a state of consciousness.
Sometimes I think about setting up a Kool-aid stand on election say, where I will serve red and blue Kool-aid drinks.

The blue Kool-aid is 95% sugar (yes you'd eat it with a spoon).

The red Kool-aid has no sugar at all.

The blue will likely send you to the hospital... maybe the grave.

The red won't kill you but it taste like crap.

Such as it is with politics.
-Andrea
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Woke'ness seems to be evolving and growing legs for sure. I'm going back to the original intent of the word.
My eyes are wide open. No kool-aid for me.
🤣
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

SkirtCafe Barista, please give me a glass of the pink Kool-Aid.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:12 pm "Woke" is just a political word used to invalidate opinions of those on the left, similar to how words like "bigot", "racist", "sexist", etc are used to invalidate the opinions of those on the right. It's a growing list of words that when I see crop up... I change the channel.

More tribal nonsense from those who close their ears but never their mouths.
This
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."- William Skakespeare
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

jamie001 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:04 pm SkirtCafe Barista, please give me a glass of the pink Kool-Aid.
And I'm the guy sipping on some southern sweet tea.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:51 pmAnd I'm the guy sipping on some southern sweet tea.
This from a guy living hard against Puget Sound! :lol:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
LiuBang

Post by LiuBang »

I live in San Diego, and I'd wager that virtually everyone would assume any man in a skirt to be trans and address the man as "Ma'am/she/her." Today's urban America is very tolerant towards transwomen, but if you're a cis-gender man who wants to wear a skirt to an office job, zero tolerance. Even if you're wearing a plain, muted skirt with a guy's polo shirt and guy's shoes.

I've literally seen zero cis-gender men wear skirts (other than kilts) anywhere in U.S. The one time I thought I might've seen a cisgendered man wear a skirt was my colleague, who turned out to be a trans-woman. But it was super confusing, because he clearly hadn't had gender reassignment surgery or hormones. He had long, messy hair, facial stubble, a deep voice, an angular face, muscular build, and flat chest. Never saw him with any cosmetics, always wore a unisex T-shirt with his plain, dark green/black/blue maxiskirt. He even used the men's restroom. But bummer, he turned out to be a trans-woman.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

In 13 years of publicly invading the society labelled woman's wardrobe I have only been asked once as to how I want to be identified and that was three weeks back. A woman in trousers, very manly in appearance asked while in conversation, while I was skirted. My reply was, how do you want to be identified. I few seconds of puzzlement look I said, it's a serious question as is yours. Her reply was, a woman obviously and mine was and fir me a man. Does not my name, bald head and general behaviour not indicate that. I added that I noted her short hair, trousers, trainers and baseball cap but her name and general behaviour is for me a woman. Her response was, had not thought of it like that, fair point. All was fine as it was before.

I am 95% of the time in items from the still labelled society wardrobe and always accepted as a man, referred to a Sir at restaurants and eating places and if I have to ask for toilets always given directions to the men's. Men's is all I would ever use. Now what others may perceive away from me is pure speculation. Until 3 weeks back I have never been asked for pronoun preference or label preference.

I may wear what society still labels as women's wear, any wear for women, but I still behave and look as a man.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

LiuBang wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:48 pm I live in San Diego, and I'd wager that virtually everyone would assume any man in a skirt to be trans and address the man as "Ma'am/she/her." Today's urban America is very tolerant towards transwomen, but if you're a cis-gender man who wants to wear a skirt to an office job, zero tolerance. Even if you're wearing a plain, muted skirt with a guy's polo shirt and guy's shoes.
Nothing against trans-people, but it really is too bad that a guy can't just wear a tasteful skirt to the office without having to invoke the "protected class" of being transgender.

...although, I do think if push came to shove, the SCOTUS decision a few years back would still protect cisgender men who wear skirts. Note that in the courts decision, it was never about protecting "trans rights", it was simply stating that an employer can't give one sex privilege over another. Being trans has nothing to do with it. Thus, an employer CAN prohibit a man from wearing a skirt to the office, however that employer must also prohibit women from doing the same. An employer can not allow a women to wear a skirt but not a man, doing so it discriminates based on sex, whereas if a man simply had different plumbing he would be free to choose.

This is actually the same argument I pitched back in 2016 when I got into some hot water over this.

At the end of the day, there's really no reason to over-complicate this.

"Why are you wearing a skirt?"

"Because I want to."

That's really the only reason a man needs.

As for identity, I know that "identity politics" is a hot button issue these days, so if someone were to ask me how I "identify", I'd just say "I am what I am." If that's not good enough, "crazy old hillbilly" seems to shut them up! :lol:
-Andrea
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

I get referred to as Ma'am many times but I have determined it is not just the black skirt. If I am wearing fire engine red nail polish, I will be called ma'am everytime. It doesn’t bother me at all since I identify as a gender non-conforming male and have all of the privileges that I am entitled because I am gender non-conformong.