Streetwear Footwear

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
mr seamstress

Streetwear Footwear

Post by mr seamstress »

I came across website that offers dresses and skirts design for man. I ask permission if it's okay to post it to promote this website because it offers clothing that will work for us equally and footwear.
https://enfemmestyle.com/collections/mi ... -28-inches
Enfemmestyle has descent clothing from what I had read we should be able to wear for whatever reason. And they offer footwear up to size 14 for men.
If you had a hard time finding something fit you right, I hope they have better fitting clothes and style you want to wear.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Streetwear Footwear

Post by Jim »

This isn't my attitude:
We started over 25 years ago helping people who were assigned male at birth find products to express their femininity - first with a catalog and later, a website devoted to those who needed specialized clothing and products to express their true selves.

Over time, we emerged as a ready-to-wear fashion brand that is out in the open, empowering those assigned male at birth who want to express the feminine while feeling confident and secure in their own body. We’ve evolved as you have – now the leading gender non-conforming brand devoted to those who identify with femininity.
En Femme is a queer owned brand that designs and creates styles that help you transform, both inside and out – to feel beautiful. We design with knowledge and insight on how to fit your body where other brands don’t. Our philosophy on sustainability keeps us focused on reducing our footprint where possible and treating labor fairly to manufacture our designs.
The comments, emails and phone calls we receive tell us that what we are doing is something much bigger than just making clothing. From first nights out to feeling gorgeous in a new style, we are here to help you express your feminine self.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

I think another shoe manufacturer that makes fantastic shoes of all shapes and sizes is the https://pleasershoes.com brand. They have a range of larger sizes in their sub brand https://pleasershoes.com/pages/pleaser-pink-label which has the more inclusive strap line
Pleaser Pink Label aims to provide the best choice for larger women's sizes. Designed and manufactured for transgender women, cross-dressers, drag queens, female impersonators, drag show performers, or anyone with a foot size up to women's 16, the Pink Label collection features over 200 choices - demure or bold - of shoes and boots
This is a company that made shoes and boots for female performers, but realised that men too needed fun shoes and boots for what ever reason.
They also have an associated brand https://demoniacult.com/collections/mens-unisex with other crazy shoes and boots which are more goth.
I love crazy boots from both these sites as you have seen on my picture pages.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I don't care at all of "expressing my femininity". I simply want to dress and present myself outside the cramped coffin sized clothing and grooming conventions for men, that is, what I call the "plain and ugly". And I'm sick and tired of seeing EVERYBODY wearing trousers. So that's a reason why I wear dresses. And I buy my "feminine" clothes and shoes (including heels) from Amazon. I guess I'm fortunate to have the body size and shape to order standard women's attire so I don't need to go to some cross dressers website to get clothes.

At church on Sunday mornings I see a lot of people wearing jeans and gym shoes. So either I wear a man's coat and tie outfit or a dress with heels.

John
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

I posted this website because they offer clothes and footwear. Whether these dresses are feminine or masculine, I believe it is just a person state of mind. I have read description of dresses being unisex design that is marketed to women. The problem here is they don't market to men. What is the difference between a masculine dress and a feminine dress? As far I am concern it's who is wearing it. Maybe these dresses have broader shoulders making them called masculine. Not all male have broad shoulders. Maybe it's just a reflection of colours. But everybody has different taste and different ideas what a masculine dress is or a feminine dress is. Dresses of that are sold for women just fit me find and no alterations is needed.
If you like their design you can buy them if not just forget this post. The source shouldn't be considered if you like what is offer.
If anyone here likes long skirts and don't mind they are design for muslin woman might want to try My Batua (dot) com. They offer skirts at different lengths. The smallest length they have is 32 inches, 81cm and longest is 48 inches, 122 cm. Here you can get a long skirt without having do any alterations to it.
https://www.mybatua.com/collections/skirts
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

mr seamstress wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:03 pmI have read description of dresses being unisex design that is marketed to women.
Rule 1) "Unisex" is a coded term, dating back to the 1960s, that refers solely to the "butching up" of women. It has no applicability to men and never has. It's a one-way street, and the women have benefitted from it and have become ersatz men in the process.

Given the above, it's not surprising in the least that "unisex dresses" are not marketed at men. (1) Men know the code and what it means, (2) Men don't wear "open ended" garments (see my commentary on circular logic), and (3) drab, crap-looking "dresses" are not going to appeal to men or women alike as women like to stand out when they want to and men want to blend into the woodwork. It's a false marketing ploy. Men are already singularly confined to drab and boring, and women don't want such stuff if they're in "hunting" mode (after which they adopt the drab mode of denim trousers and t-shirts).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

I will just say that I believe in the "unisex" when we can see both male and female models wearing the garment. Which is pretty rare and not the case of your first link.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Mr Seemstress,
Thanks for telling us about that website. Although women's clothes and shoes fit me fine, there are those of us whose feet are too.large and/or where women's.clothing that does not go with their figures (e.g., being flat chested).

John
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

When I posted this web store it was known to me to be a controversial nature. According to different individual conversations everyone saying they like to see a business making and selling dresses and skirts for men. This is why I ask permission before posting this web store because of it's selling dresses and skirts for men and was different from other stores that was selling garments for men to wear in bedroom, but not for streetwear. There is more likely be more web stores like this before main stream stores start advertising men and women wearing same dresses and skirts.
What this posting didn't generate is discussion how this web store is a pioneer before regular stores take notice what the new man wants. What This posting did generate in more in line of bickering what the web store is. To me this like a lot of women claiming wanting a man who is more loving, but kicks him out because he is wearing a dress and dates a man is fully masculinely wearing pants.
I didn't expect this web store to appeal to everyone. I understand how the majority of men are flat chested, it's a matter if you could try and communicate with web store to expand its inventory to meet your needs if you want to do business with it.

If there is more web stores that sell dresses and skirts design for man these search engines needs to be improve to bring them up instead of dress pants and dress shirts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

mr seamstress wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 pm When I posted this web store it was known to me to be a controversial nature. According to different individual conversations everyone saying they like to see a business making and selling dresses and skirts for men. This is why I ask permission before posting this web store because of it's selling dresses and skirts for men and was different from other stores that was selling garments for men to wear in bedroom, but not for streetwear. There is more likely be more web stores like this before main stream stores start advertising men and women wearing same dresses and skirts.
Do any of the people on that site look like men? I mean stereotypical men. I don't think anyone here has any issues with the link to the site - but it doesn't quite jive with the stated mission of this site. Just my opinion.

What I'd like to see from a retailer: dressing men in skirts/dresses but in a way that works with the typical male frame, not trying to emulate something that doesn't come naturally.
mr seamstress wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 pm What this posting didn't generate is discussion how this web store is a pioneer before regular stores take notice what the new man wants.
If that's your concern - we should discuss whether this store is pioneering in nature or not. I would say it isn't. Designers like Thom Browne - Steven Villegas - Skirtcraft - are pioneers. They aren't afraid to buck the typical thought:

skirt = woman: therefore man has to look like woman to wear skirt

Thom Browne has a kilt-inspired skirt suit outfit. Steven started Utilikilts which - while a "kilt" - brings us closer to MIS. Skirtcraft is selling a unisex skirt and features men and women dressed as... men and women wearing skirts.

I think the site you posted just reinforces regressive stereotypes (specifically the one I stated).

Adidas and some other online retailers have trotted out their version of MIS, but they seem to have given up the ghost on those fronts.

mr seamstress wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 pm it's a matter if you could try and communicate with web store to expand its inventory to meet your needs if you want to do business with it.
And here is where you could make a difference. Write to the store you posted - tell them "your clothes are nice but can you do designs that work for men shaped like men and that look like men not women"? I'm guessing their customer base wouldn't be interested in shaking the system up. But maybe they've never heard of MIS, and could start a small line and see where interest goes.
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

Coder wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:47 pm
And here is where you could make a difference. Write to the store you posted - tell them "your clothes are nice but can you do designs that work for men shaped like men and that look like men not women"? I'm guessing their customer base wouldn't be interested in shaking the system up. But maybe they've never heard of MIS, and could start a small line and see where interest goes.
Since you are talking about your ideas what it takes to make a dress more manly looking. I leave it up to you in showing them what you mean.
How would you make a dress more manly than Incerun brand has made? I know several people will claim a dress is female clothes regardless of design change. By the way I own two Incerun brand dresses.
https://www.incerunmen.com/products/men ... 0143053020
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

mr seamstress wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:48 pmSince you are talking about your ideas what it takes to make a dress more manly looking. I leave it up to you in showing what you mean.
Well, for the sakes or practicality, fit, and look the first thing to go would be the added fabric to accommodate the bust which most guys don't have. That and slightly higher necklines to suit what men don't have. I've modified an off-the-peg dress that way, but it's a bit of a pain. Note that I am explicitly not mentioning things like drape, fabric, print, and colour -- those should be left to taste. Guys do not have to fade into the woodwork.

The saddest part, though, is that dresses are largely obsolete in the modern world. Most women never wear them, preferring jeans and t-shirts; guys shy away from them instinctively because they know they'll get badgered in public. So, without a market, the style will eventually go extinct -- a tragedy, but entirely predictable. In a way, I'm surprised that they're still around.

The good news is that there are places that do custom-fit (as in "to measure") clothing at surprisingly reasonable prices. I have three dresses from such places and cherish all of them. All are shirt-dress designs, two of which -- if one looks closely -- will recognise as "sister designs" (as in the naval vernacular as "sister ships") as one is a long-sleeve maxi and the "sister" is a cap-sleeved mini-dress which is fantastic for when it's warm around here. All get fairly extensive "mileage" in my life.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

crfriend wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:39 am
mr seamstress wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:48 pmSince you are talking about your ideas what it takes to make a dress more manly looking. I leave it up to you in showing what you mean.
Well, for the sakes or practicality, fit, and look the first thing to go would be the added fabric to accommodate the bust which most guys don't have. That and slightly higher necklines to suit what men don't have. I've modified an off-the-peg dress that way, but it's a bit of a pain. Note that I am explicitly not mentioning things like drape, fabric, print, and colour -- those should be left to taste. Guys do not have to fade into the woodwork.

The saddest part, though, is that dresses are largely obsolete in the modern world. Most women never wear them, preferring jeans and t-shirts; guys shy away from them instinctively because they know they'll get badgered in public. So, without a market, the style will eventually go extinct -- a tragedy, but entirely predictable. In a way, I'm surprised that they're still around.

The good news is that there are places that do custom-fit (as in "to measure") clothing at surprisingly reasonable prices. I have three dresses from such places and cherish all of them. All are shirt-dress designs, two of which -- if one looks closely -- will recognise as "sister designs" (as in the naval vernacular as "sister ships") as one is a long-sleeve maxi and the "sister" is a cap-sleeved mini-dress which is fantastic for when it's warm around here. All get fairly extensive "mileage" in my life.
I did mine more simply, I took a shirt and find material I can add to it by making a skirt. And everyone I know calls them female dresses even though I made them with male shirt. Why? Because women buy male shirts and calls them women clothes.
Last edited by mr seamstress on Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

mr seamstress wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:48 pm Since you are talking about your ideas what it takes to make a dress more manly looking. I leave it up to you in showing them what you mean.
How would you make a dress more manly than Incerun brand has made? I know several people will claim a dress is female clothes regardless of design change.
I'm not so much advocating for "butching up" or "masculinizing"/"making more manly" dresses or skirts. I think crfriend hit the nail on the head re:extra fabric and neckline adjustments* - I have a dress I would like to wear but it has some unfortunate extra fabric that looks awkward. Not sure I'll ever get the courage up but I digress...

Besides some simple alterations to make a dress fit the male form slightly better - I don't know if I would change much else. I mean - when women started wearing trousers they didn't start wearing fake mustaches** - why do men have to change themselves? However, I'd hazard to guess women made them their own. Look at women's trousers today - colorful prints, an infinite amount of colors, vast array of styles, fun button placement, decorative trim. Some of this is driven no doubt by the fashion industry - but they reap the benefits of it.

*One possible solution is wearing a tight-fitting shirt underneath, in a complementary color. I've done this with sweaters with too big a neckline.

**I only say that because if you observe the enfemmestyle site there are obvious body parts being added, among other things.
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

Coder wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:31 am
I'm not so much advocating for "butching up" or "masculinizing"/"making more manly" dresses or skirts. I think crfriend hit the nail on the head re:extra fabric and neckline adjustments* - I have a dress I would like to wear but it has some unfortunate extra fabric that looks awkward. Not sure I'll ever get the courage up but I digress...

Besides some simple alterations to make a dress fit the male form slightly better - I don't know if I would change much else. I mean - when women started wearing trousers they didn't start wearing fake mustaches** - why do men have to change themselves? However, I'd hazard to guess women made them their own. Look at women's trousers today - colorful prints, an infinite amount of colors, vast array of styles, fun button placement, decorative trim. Some of this is driven no doubt by the fashion industry - but they reap the benefits of it.

*One possible solution is wearing a tight-fitting shirt underneath, in a complementary color. I've done this with sweaters with too big a neckline.

**I only say that because if you observe the enfemmestyle site there are obvious body parts being added, among other things.
The basic type of dress you are looking for I would say is the T shirt dress or shirt dress. These two type of dresses usually don't have have that big neck line.
I am one of those males isn't flat chested. I have B cup size breast naturally. There are males on here is just like me have boobs.