Don't worry, most people know we're not trans

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Re: Don't worry, most people know we're not trans

Post by timemeddler »

jamie001 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm Why does it matter if people think that we are trannys? There is nothing wrong with being trans. We should just be happy and not worry about how other people perceive us. We have no control over other people’s perception.
because people thinking we're trans makes us into a poliltical hot topic that isn't true?

It also re-enforces the bs notion that you have to be a woman to wear a skirt.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I will not tolerate being called "trans"! Why because I am not a Transvestite! I am just a man in a skirt or dress depending on what I am wearing at the time. I have facial hair and have a man's voice. I do not use make-up nor lip stick to paint up my face, I like my ugly mug just the way it is. If I was younger and some dip stick called me trans I wold have shown him just how much of a man I am. How ever at my age (81) I just might shoot him instead! :twisted:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

jamie001 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm Why does it matter if people think that we are trannys? There is nothing wrong with being trans. We should just be happy and not worry about how other people perceive us. We have no control over other people’s perception.
I agree, we never know what people think even if they tell us, as it might not be what they really think. They might come to some crazy conclusion based on little or no knowledge apart from what they see, or if they are smart they will think that we are individuals behaving as such which would be correct.
If we walked around with a placard around our necks, or a "T" shirt, explaining in full detail why we are dressed the way we are, then people would think that we were idiots, and probably they would be correct.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 am I will not tolerate being called "trans"! Why because I am not a Transvestite! I am just a man in a skirt or dress depending on what I am wearing at the time. I have facial hair and have a man's voice. I do not use make-up nor lip stick to paint up my face, I like my ugly mug just the way it is. If I was younger and some dip stick called me trans I wold have shown him just how much of a man I am. How ever at my age (81) I just might shoot him instead! :twisted:
I think that in most cases "Trans" is an abreviation of transsexual. I still don't think that you run the risk of people thinking that of you, let alone addressing you in such a way. I am confident that you will not need a gun :)
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

jamie001 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm (...) There is nothing wrong with being trans. (...) We have no control over other people’s perception.
This, I agree with.
jamie001 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm Why does it matter if people think that we are trannys? (...) We should just be happy and not worry about how other people perceive us. (...)
This, I strongly disagree with, but I see no point in detailling it yet again
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

I don't terribly mine what people think of me these days. As long as they let me live my life as I please, they are totally welcome to their own thoughts. In turn, I put people I meet into my own internal arbitrary box inside my brain, while attempting to treat all people with dignity and respect on the outside.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Mouse wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 pm I don't terribly mine what people think of me these days. As long as they let me live my life as I please, they are totally welcome to their own thoughts. In turn, I put people I meet into my own internal arbitrary box inside my brain, while attempting to treat all people with dignity and respect on the outside.
I’m working my way towards this mindset - it helped a lot with the fear/anxiety I used to have (erm, still have some).
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Mouse wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 pm I don't terribly mine what people think of me these days. As long as they let me live my life as I please, they are totally welcome to their own thoughts. In turn, I put people I meet into my own internal arbitrary box inside my brain, while attempting to treat all people with dignity and respect on the outside.
Well, the problem with that attitude -- whilst in may ways commendable -- can lead to unpredictable results moving forward. If somebody does not properly understand whom one is interacting with bad decisions and results are frequently the outcome, and those should be avoided -- especially in professional situations. Thus, the problem becomes quite a bit larger than it would in a merely personal interaction.

The above is why I rail against the blanket classification of any guy who dons an open-ended garment as trans-*, and will defend that argument until well-proved that I'm wrong. Bad choices get made and bad decisions undertaken because of the misunderstanding -- and the misunderstanding is simply because of the cultural saturation with trans-* concepts and political correctness, and that's usually, and statistically provably, wrong.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

The problem is we can not guard against what people are thinking unless we run around saying "I am not trans ..... I am not trans", in which case they may think we are anyway and in denial.
Like it or not, people will think wrongly about us and there is nothing we can do unless they say something and we
correct them.
Generally I believe that most people see or treat me as a normal guy who wears a mini skirt for some unknown reason.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

denimini wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:33 am Generally I believe that most people see or treat me as a normal guy who wears a mini skirt for some unknown reason.
Yep, that's pretty much what I figure when people see me (though I don't wear mini skirts).

I need to go to one of these college campuses where some right wing YouTube influencer sets up some interview table to debate libs. I'd love for one to ask me "so do you think you're a woman?"

"No".

"Oh, then what do you identify as then?"

"I identify as me, a human male that sometimes wears clothes considered feminine by modern culture".
e427d05f08ff99915e39bfda7484874d.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:09 amI need to go to one of these college campuses where some right wing YouTube influencer sets up some interview table to debate libs. I'd love for one to ask me "so do you think you're a woman?"

"No".

"I identify as me, a human male that sometimes wears clothes considered feminine by modern culture".
LOL - I’ve had the same thoughts, but the campus I work on is the boring/low-traffic one and so they’d never set up a table there. I’m actually surprised one of those tables hasn’t “graced” our fair institution with their presence, but perhaps we just aren’t as important as we make ourselves out to be. I kinda think they go to the west coast schools because it’s an easy target.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I generally identify as "male but nonconformist".

In the shifting quagmire of modern identity terms, I guess that you could say my gender identity is male, but my gender expression is non-binary.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:56 pm I generally identify as "male but nonconformist".

In the shifting quagmire of modern identity terms, I guess that you could say my gender identity is male, but my gender expression is non-binary.
Nothing wrong with being non-binary MB. Mankind has yet to realise that everything human is a spectrum.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:00 pm
moonshadow wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:09 amI need to go to one of these college campuses where some right wing YouTube influencer sets up some interview table to debate libs. I'd love for one to ask me "so do you think you're a woman?"

"No".

LOL - I’ve had the same thoughts, but the campus I work on is the boring/low-traffic one and so they’d never set up a table there. I’m actually surprised one of those tables hasn’t “graced” our fair institution with their presence, but perhaps we just aren’t as important as we make ourselves out to be. I kinda think they go to the west coast schools because it’s an easy target.
Perhaps when I take my California road trip, I can swing by one of those schools and see what happens. :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:05 pm
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:56 pm I generally identify as "male but nonconformist".

Nothing wrong with being non-binary MB. Mankind has yet to realise that everything human is a spectrum.
Well, I've learned over the years to not wear my "gender identity" on my sleeve, unless I want to spend every waking minute of my life arguing with people about it (and I don't). I find it ironic that in all my life I was never so bluntly accused of being "a man" by the general public until I started wearing skirts.

Simply put however, the gender of my spirit (my consciousness) is not up for debate. That's between me and God/the universe/what-have-you. The world can call me whatever it wants. It won't change the fact of the matter, and that is: I am what I am.

Carl's video he posted several years ago "You are a fluke of the universe" really nails it home.

None of this sh!t really matters.
-Andrea