bike riding

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
stephanie53

Re: bike riding

Post by stephanie53 »

This weekend is going to be super warm for January,low 70's. Looking forward to getting my bike out, my short tennis dress on, and enjoy the outdoors
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

rode_kater wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:17 pm
FLbreezy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:55 pm So we did a bit of a 10km test ride, her in a skort and me in a skirt with bike shorts underneath. Sure enough, the skirt was up around my hips before too long. It's probably ok because bike shorts are meant to be seen but it does feel strange. I'll probably just stick to the bike shorts of some sort and a wrap skirt/kilt to put on when I'm not on the bike.
Ha, riding with a skirt is a skill to be practiced. Being in the Netherlands I see plenty of daily examples how it's done. Usually one of: longer skirt (well below the knee), fairly tight with stretchy material so it can't go anywhere, or heavy enough material that it doesn't move. If it's a wide enough skirt you can simply scrunch it up and sit on it.

It's very fun though.
You could simply drape it over the back of the seat - but care not to entangle/entackle with the wheel and brakes and if perchance tooo long
engaging the gearing.
Best riding a bike or motor bike with minimum engaging clothing - but - then on the other hand maybe best to have enough material
toward warding off road rash.

Side note --- Lady Godiva did not ride a bike careful if you do it that way !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
TonautBrom

Post by TonautBrom »

As the avatar suggests I’ve ridden my Brompton in my knee length denim skirt and it’s fine. Quite heavy fabric so it doesn’t flutter around and although it rides up a little it’s not to the point of indecency. The low bar on the Brommie means I can step over and just hop on the saddle to set off.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:23 pm Side note --- Lady Godiva did not ride a bike careful if you do it that way !
I've been known to ride a la the good Lady out in the forest trails when conditions permit, but not often. 8)

We did a 40km ride yesterday and I wore shorts, sadly. I vowed to try the skirt next time. I did see one woman on a racing bike with a skirt over her biking shorts but it was quite short and was probably only for extra modesty when off the bike.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I found a rather ingenious little clip/strap device on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/PinceAntiVol that works quite nicely to secure the front of a skirt/kilt to a bike frame. They're a bit pricey but well made...would not be difficult to make yourself with a bit of elastic and a fabric clip. I'll be trying it out next time I'm out on the bike trail!
pinceantivol.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Ingenious indeed, but I would actually rather go for the "do it yourself" way: rope + clothespin = the same result
Pleats

Post by Pleats »

I should try that idea. I have a EZ-Sun bike that is a recumbent design. Legs are more forward than a standard road bike. I tried riding wearing a Utilikilt. The wind just pushed the material up to my hips.
Bill

Post by Bill »

I typically ride with a denim utility kilt that is just above knee length. It drapes over the back of the seat without getting near any moving parts and it is heavy enough it does not blow around (much) and never rides up.
If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Many years ago, when I was still skirting in secret, I had this tight black stretchy skirt which came to mid thigh. I used it to cycle to work in a few times, thinking that any one that saw me would assume I was wearing cycle shorts. I obviously had to change just before I got to work.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Pleats wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:11 pm I should try that idea. I have a EZ-Sun bike that is a recumbent design. Legs are more forward than a standard road bike. I tried riding wearing a Utilikilt. The wind just pushed the material up to my hips.
I have a Catrike 559, so that's my main issue as well. Much more difficult to manage the skirt than on a regular bike.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

My first skirted bike ride

Post by shadowfax »

Just got back from my first, skirted bike ride.
Never had sufficient courage to try it before.

I rode a BMX-style bike with smaller than full-size wheels. Nominally 20" (406). A folding bike with handlebars and saddle at adult height.
The top of the frame is 25" high so I had to lean the bike away from myself to lift my leg over with some level of modesty. :wink:

I was enjoying myself so much that I rode around the block several times. :D

No problems with the skirt flipping back.

My outfit was:-
A-line skirt (my usual length of 18") - above knee
Black medium support tights (around 20 denier - pantyhose)
Black patent, 3 1/2" high, block heels with a strap (Mary Janes)
Yellow, hi-vis, cycling jacket
White crash helmet
Black cycling gloves
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Modern Mixte Framesets (Disc Brakes)

Post by shadowfax »

shadowfax wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:28 am A bike with a mixte frame, with a lower step over height, might be of help?
https://momentummag.com/mixte-vintage-f ... ity-bikes/
Earlier in this thread, I suggested that mixte-type bikes with their lower step over height, might be helpful for cyclists who wear skirts.

I recently, came across a mixte frameset which can be built-up using modern bike components with disc brakes and up to 42mm wide tyres.
https://www.somafab.com/archives/produc ... -frame-set
The framesets are designed in San Francisco, California but made in Taiwan.

Here is a video review of the frameset built up as a complete machine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XltKnGFQ5pQ

Should be available via USA cycle shops and I've also found some UK shops that can order them in too.
The company also do a rim brake version of the mixte frameset.
https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/buena-vista
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Why not get a girl’s bike with no center bar and avoid the problem. If I was into biking, I would get a pink or lavender girl’s bike.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

jamie001 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:55 pm Why not get a girl’s bike with no center bar and avoid the problem. If I was into biking, I would get a pink or lavender girl’s bike.
I had a girl's bike when I was at college. I figured that (a) I would be able to lend it to more people, and (b) if I ever got a kilt, then I could ride the bike while wearing it. Actually (a) was probably a rationalization and (b) was the real reason: and eventually I did get a kilt and cycled to Scottish dance sessions. One day I also discovered (c): if you don't have a crossbar, then you get less painfully tangled up with the bike if you fall off, because your leg doesn't drag the frame on top of you, and you can fall away from it!
Seb

Post by Seb »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:06 pm One day I also discovered (c): if you don't have a crossbar, then you get less painfully tangled up with the bike if you fall off, because your leg doesn't drag the frame on top of you, and you can fall away from it!
Haha, I have never fallen of a bike sideways, never thought of it as a possibility. I've gone over the handlebar plenty of times though.

Myself, I have hardly used my bike since we moved out to the countryside, probably done less than 100km the last 8 years combined, used to do 10km day when we lived in town, 20km when I was a student.
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom