Ultra thick tights

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Bill

Re: Ultra thick tights

Post by Bill »

It’s 40 degrees (F) where we are today. My wife and I are out “shopping” and I’m wearing a black utility kilt with black leggings / that go well with my black leather jacket. Warm and comfortable.

Edited to add temperature as Fahrenheit.
Last edited by Bill on Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Bill wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:50 pm It’s 40 degrees where we are today. My wife and I are out “shopping” and I’m wearing a black utility kilt with black leggings / that go well with my black leather jacket. Warm and comfortable.
From that, I'm assuming that you mean your temperature was 40°F, not 40°C....

In 40°C the utility kilt might be OK in terms of allowing the breeze, but not with leggings, and definitely with a fridge full of ice cold beer.

Here, no tights, black lightweight kilt, temps here today was low 27°C, high 33°C and showers with thunderstorms this evening, and probably into the night.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hello, Brisbane. Thanks for the heads-up - I did edit to add the (F). And, yes, I agree about the fridge with ice cold beer.
If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Thought I would try a new look with the colder weather with thick black opaque tights, my short kilt and sweater and ankle boots. All this deserved a trip to the local pub for a beer, where I got a couple of odd looks from some guys, but a girl came up to me with her friend and complemented me on how warm and nice I looked in my outfit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Day two of a new look with the colder weather with black opaque tights, my short kilt and sweater, and ballet flat mary janes. A trip to the local stores was fun with some knowing smiles and a couple of nice complements, "someone knows how to keep warm in a skirt." You got to love thicker tights and the warmth they provide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
Seb

Post by Seb »

Both kilts look really good with black under them, well done! I really like the blue/green one.
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

During the colder months I wear M&S 120d body sensor tights, which are warm and comfortable. They do 250d tights and I tried some a couple of years ago. They are very thick, quite difficult to put on and reach up almost to the armpits.

They were really warm. Even in very cold weather they were too warm for me, although those of you who live in places where it gets properly cold might appreciate them.
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Both of them kilts look great, great to hear that you had some compliments while wearing them.

Tights are relatively new to me so haven't quite got the hang of which denier to wear depending for the temperate outside. So far, 100 denier opaque "body sensor" tights from Primark seem to work well, with the 80 denier variant working in warmer weather (Above say 10 degrees centigrade).

Also have a pair of fleece lined tights which I think are at least 150 denier, definitely good at keeping you warm albeit probably too warm when inside!

I think having unshaven / hairy legs has lead me to lean towards the thicker tights.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Kieran,

By way of guidance (not a hard rule):

20c or over - no tights
10 - 20c: 50 to 80 den
0 - 10c: 50 - 100 den
-10 to 0 : 80 - 150 den
Below -10: stay at home!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

For winter, my preferred choice of tights is from Amazon.com
They are fleece lined from the top to the ankle.
https://www.amazon.com/Fleece-Tights-Le ... th=1&psc=1
G & Y Fleece tights full length JPG 2024-01-22.jpg
G & Y Fleece lined tights JPG 2024-01-22.jpg
As depicted in the picture, I place the "expansion panel" at the front.
Wearing them feels like my body is encased in soft, fluffy cotton.
Being on blood thinners, my legs stay warm when wearing these tights. :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

My preference for opaque tights is 80-150 denier. Normally I will wear black but I have been known to wear colours (some of them quite bright).