Male Drab

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Male Drab

Post by Barleymower »

Hi Tazzmac I live in Reading UK. After a near lifetime of not wearing skirts, I started again (documented here on the Cafe). I thought I'm not going to hide this, I'm getting too old for that. So I outed myself to my family and neighbours. I cant say it was a perfectly positive experience. Some supportive, some silent, some negative, one sneering. Pretty much as you might expect. It's done and I can't take it back. Life is different and I dress more or less as I choose. At least I can move on now.

I appreciate you have a view on what a skirted future would look like in your neck of the woods. It may not be as bad as you think especially if you stick to tarten.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Tazzmac wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:19 pm Its a good term ...male drab . Generally that's what blokes clothing is a lot of the time . For all of my life I've conformed to normal and often that translates to drab and boring .
In a lot of ways it's because we are dictated to as what to wear. Probably happened since we stood erect from the apes . Who knows .

Fear of ridicule stops me stepping out among my town of 1000 people in a kilt . I want to but I just can't outright do it . Those kilts afford me a certain freedom though when I chuck one on to take my dogs on a bushwalk or at home . Otherwise it really is male drab .

Recently a very close female friend noticed I was not my normal positive self . We went for a coffee one morning because she wanted to find out if I was okay , During that conversation I let it out to her that I occasionally throw on a kilt .Initially she was surprised I think but smiled ., Later that day I thought a lot more about our great conversation , not just about kilts but everything .. That evening I took a couple of selfies with me in a couple of my kilts .. The next morning with some trepidation I sent her a couple of the shots .

I found it quite exciting actually . Sort of a coming out moment for me in regard to my kilt interests .. Her reaction was priceless and asked if she could show the pics to her husband . I said yes. This is a step for me that helps .

I absolutely know that it's nothing to be ashamed about in wearing kilts or skirts . I'm not ashamed but fearful . Lots of our locals are ultra conservative and conventional . I grew up with many of them . I am friends with some too . I find it extremely difficult to think that what I wear might stop that . And the reality is that it would . Greatest respect to those of you who live in more liberal parts of our orb but living in a small rural community in this regard is not easy with this in mind .

So , for the most part in regard to clothing it's indeed male drab but punctuated with some great kilts that feel great , some look great on me apparently according to my friend and a handful others others mostly neighbours at different times .

While this pic is a long way from what I do wear I do wear and like slightly shorter than standard 24" kilts. Around 22 to 23". I got a great reaction from my friend a few days after the initial selfies..She didn't show her hubby this one though ..IMG_20240108_153713 - Copy.jpg I wore it at my normal on the hip height and it is a woman's short kilt anyway but bought it on a whim a few years back . It's the only short one I have ..

One day maybe ...hopefully by the time I retire or I'm too old to have fear of my peers I'll leave some drab behind a lot more .

Cheers ..
-
What you are wearing is the Stewart Royal mini kilt.
And you have the legs for it - go for it !
14 inch length can be made in 12 length {ultra}
Link: https://sportkilt.com/product/stewart-royal-mini-kilt/
Yes it is found in the women's kilt aisle - the men's version the length can be custom tailored***
***Link: https://sportkilt.com/product/stewart-r ... port-kilt/

Your photo/image is a reverse mirror - the Sportkilt emblem appears on the right side hip - the kilt pin is also on the right side of the kilt
the side of the apron overlap.
That big black belt & buckle is not part of the kilt - the kilt closing is by mating two velcro panels (multiple waist adjustment).
The belt tends to make the kilt look shorter than it appears.

I have several of these kilts in USA tartan - MacPherson - Anderson - Scottish/Irish/American - All Black - Law Enforcement & US Navy.
Care must be taken as I approach the envelope of exposure - no reaching for the top shelf - no bending over (squat) - sitting keep legs
together - caution ascending staircases/ladder wells - getting in/out of a vehicle.

But what the heck - the most delightful cool way to wear a kilt better than short shorts !

Yes breaking the ice wearing the kilt for the first time leading to the transition of wearing the skirt/skort takes a bit of chutzpah.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

G'day back. r.m and Barleymower .Re the photo.. I took the [photo for my friend and wore it as if it was one of my standard 24" kilts to demonstrate to her the difference .. When I wear it at trouser point (low on the waist ) its more normal . It's an 18 " womens kilt and the only one I have . It has the buckles that I reversed from left fastening to right ..The belt I love ..I have another similar one and the kilt pin just looks good on any kilt .. I don't wear it anywhere , only very occasionally at home in the evening after I'm home for good It feels nice to wear . Its so light .. Had it for several years now and yes even at home good underwear worn this way is is essential ..The photo indeed is in reverse because of the mirror used .
IMG_20240108_154255 - Copy.jpg
This is the comparison photo I sent Ann , my friend ..

Have to say though that the comment I got from my female friend was quite surprising ...She loved it and said that even though she sees me in shorts this time of year (mid summer ) all the time this shorty worn mini kilt shows my legs better than anything ..I'm a bit overweight perhaps and somewhat balding these days at 63 but my saving grace is pretty good legs.. That tickled me a bit what she said .. Just done for fun and it was along side a photo of a traditional length kilt worn on the hip..

That said I ended up choosing a recent photo taken the same way via mirror for my avatar wearing my black leather kilt / Only because I love that garment and wish I bought two of them .. It's 21" , To be honest for some reason it makes me feel mor masculine than any trousers I have for reasons I can't explain ..Wish I could wear it a lot more than I do .. Not even for hiking as it's too heavy for that usage ..Poly viscose / khaki/ and a couple of Mountain Hardware nylon ones for my main kilt wearing.
Thanks so much for your observations ...much appreciated ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Tazzmac » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:32 pm

G'day...Tasmania ... We are the island State and the most southern .,Capital city is Hobart around 260,000 people and 570,000 across the State ..Very beautiful place ..Mountains everywhere , 300 named rivers , about 3000 lakes and tarns including Lake St.Clair which is the deepest lake in the southern hemisphere ...Tassie is the world's 26th biggest island and about the same area as Sri Lanka , Ireland and West Virginia .. Geography out of the way .. Yes , I sadly do have a reality that if I wore my kilts everywhere there are enough ' too set in their ways' people that would out me to varying degrees ..
How obviously unobservant of me; your moniker had the answer right in front of me. I don't recall the thread, but I wrote once before about Tasmania being a great spot for skirting -- I felt "right at home" at the MONA! And shockingly, I was not the only male there that day in a skirt -- the other chap granted was in the "approved" version -- a kilt, but indeed at least two males on the Island that day in an un-bifurcated lower garment!

We took the ferry and then drove south for a week-long retreat held at a small Catholic conference center to the south of Hobart, taking time down and back to explore for a few days, and I was skirted much of that time including the conference and when we toured the rather "Stuffy" Friend's School which to this day requires a school approved uniform & so far as I know does not yet allow the boys to wear skirts -- so mine was certainly noticed, but not commented upon. It was January if I recall, quite warm and my skirt was short and blah tan denim with pockets-- it might have been taken for for a pair of shorts. Anyway, I'd suggest the MONA for great place to wear a skirt of any kind and 'fit right in'!
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

G'day Faldaguy... You are right ... It's a very unique museum indeed .. It's a beaut city in general with the fabulous views on Kunyanyi , the indigenous name of Mt Wellington ..Salamanca , Battery Point , Australian Antarctic Headquarters , tons of historic buildings , Tasman Bridge , The Derwent River ...MONA is a must if you visit Hobart for sure ..Good to know about the acceptance of your chosen attire , thats cool .. Re the kilt.. Tassie does have a very strong Scottish heritage .. In 1822 Aklexander Reid a scottish settler at Bothwell along with other Scots built a rudimentary golf course on Ratho Farm so they could continue the game . It prospered and over 200 years later it is the home of the Australian Golf Museum . I am an okay golfer and have played off single figures (got to 6 for a while) a long time back but never played at Ratho .. It is also recognised as the oldest golf course in the Southern Hemisphere and one of the oldest anywhere .. cheers ..
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

I have a thought on ‘male drab’ which isn’t….I have never had the courage to wear a tartan kilt since I am not Scottish, my family name has no tartan associated with it, I never wanted to be accused of disrespecting Scottish culture and I tend to think of a proper kilt as requiring other things to go with it to be correct as when wearing a suit you tend to need a tie….
This is my thought…. Is Tartan, colourful as it is, a kind of ‘drab’ as the only pattern that a skirted man should wear?
I mean no disrespect to Tartan as I think people wearing it look great in it, but I some times wonder whether it is a limit as drab colours are to others.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Mouse wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:19 pm This is my thought…. Is Tartan, colourful as it is, a kind of ‘drab’ as the only pattern that a skirted man should wear?
I mean no disrespect to Tartan as I think people wearing it look great in it, but I some times wonder whether it is a limit as drab colours are to others.
I kind of agree. I don't like thinking of "male drab" as a specific set of colors or patterns, though I often fall into that trap.

What I speak of - and I think lots here would agree - is being consigned to a limited color palette, limited styles, and "staying in our lane". Darker more traditional colors are easy to classify as such, and I would think that includes normal tartan's. I think if society wasn't so limiting with what's acceptable on men, the concept could go away and what people choose is what they choose to wear, nothing else.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:55 pm
Mouse wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:19 pm This is my thought…. Is Tartan, colourful as it is, a kind of ‘drab’ as the only pattern that a skirted man should wear?
I kind of agree. I don't like thinking of "male drab" as a specific set of colors or patterns, though I often fall into that trap.

What I speak of - and I think lots here would agree - is being consigned to a limited color palette, limited styles, and "staying in our lane". Darker more traditional colors are easy to classify as such, and I would think that includes normal tartan's. I think if society wasn't so limiting with what's acceptable on men, the concept could go away and what people choose is what they choose to wear, nothing else.
I absolutely agree. All you have to do is imagine the opposite sex in the same situation and what their reaction woild be.
Men are their own worst enemy. Tell a women she looks like a lesbian and she will no doubt give you a piece of her mind, including a talk on self expression. Tell guy he looks gay and he'll laugh in your face. Then never wear it again.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Mouse wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:19 pm I have a thought on ‘male drab’ which isn’t….I have never had the courage to wear a tartan kilt since I am not Scottish, my family name has no tartan associated with it, I never wanted to be accused of disrespecting Scottish culture and I tend to think of a proper kilt as requiring other things to go with it to be correct as when wearing a suit you tend to need a tie….
I wouldn't worry. I am Scottish and few of us mind non-Scots wearing kilts. There are a few kilt police who need every detail to be in place but just ignore them. I have never worn a sgian dubh (a dagger in the top of the sock) and some guys leave out the sporran and wear slouchy socks, and an ordinary shirt. I have even seen a kilt over trousers but that does raise eyebrows.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Mouse wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:19 pm...I have never had the courage to wear a tartan kilt since I am not Scottish, ***
*** I never wanted to be accused of disrespecting Scottish culture ***
In the many, many years of wearing a kilt(and skirt) I've found that, when asked if I'm Scottish, I now say 'No, just a man'.

ANY MAN may, and can, wear a kilt :!: There are plenty of 'Non-Clan' tartans available for everyone.
SOME examples are: Black Watch, Clergy, Military branches, Pride of Scotland, Irish National, to name but a few.
An example of a Clan Tartan serving a dual purpose is The Clark(e) Tartan which also represents the Clergy.

The "Myth" that "Only Scottish men may wear a kilt" is just that. A MYTH

Granted, I have Scottish, and Irish, heritage in my family linage, traced back to around 1737 AD.
But this "heritage" is not required to wear a kilt. The "heritage requirement' is only in your head,
spurred on by people perpetuating this false narrative. Also, this stems from the fact of when
the Brit's were persecuting the Scot's, they didn't want to be associated with/as a Scot.

Anyway, ANY MAN may, and can, wear a kilt :!:
Therefor, go forth and proudly wear a kilt :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Thanks Uncle Al. I am sure that I will get round to a real kilt one day since I do like the tartan look. However my public start to skirt wearing was a denim Utilikilt workman’s kilt which I could weave a story around to get passed the first skirt wearing questions. (Are you Scottish? No I am English and this is an American kilt……..) I think for those of us with some heritage, a tartan kilt is a great first step to skirt wearing.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

When I'm wearing a tartan kilt, people often ask me which part of Scotland I am from, and are bemused when I reply that I was born in Hertfordshire. But since 1707, all English men have been subjects of the King (or Queen) of Scotland, and so can wear the Royal Stewart, the Black Watch, or the Shepherd's check if they can't think of anything else. But there are so many tartans, including specifically Irish and Welsh ones, or with English or international names, not to mention the plain Saffron tartan, that the number of available colourways is very large. I also have Scottish-style kilts in plain green Donegal tweed (bought in Edinburgh) and in plain dark blue tweed.

Many Scots would be mildly flattered if, out of such a wide selection, you chose to wear their tartan.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

The first time I was asked what Clan I'm from I was quite taken aback. So I said my Scottish roots are from my Nan's side (Macaulay). I felt like a fraud, because my Stuart Tarten skirt had nothing to do with the Macauleys. Any connection to clans is whole mire of politics.
I've realised people ask the clan for something to say. I haven't met anyone out that has any real knowledge.

What really makes me laugh now is this:
I wear ladies skirts. They are made for women's shape and they are sold as "woman's skirts".
I object to skirts being labelled in this manner.
I don't want to be told by anyone what I can and can't wear.
I considered myself 'out there'. Now I realise that men like Mouse, Victor and Yonkas who have family support are much braver than me.
The guys who are 'hemmed in' by family, probably would burst out of their confines if they could.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Uncle Al wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:00 pm An example of a Clan Tartan serving a dual purpose is The Clark(e) Tartan which also represents the Clergy.
Al, the Kilt is based on a myth in the first place.
Clark was never a highland clan name but evolved from clerk, cleric or clerich meaning a person who was actually literate.
Since most education was controlled by the church, we got clergy.
In many respects one may say that the Godly folks have a greater claim to the tartan than anyone bearing Clark(e) surname.
Uncle Al wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:00 pm Anyway, ANY MAN may, and can, wear a kilt
Therefor, go forth and proudly wear a kilt
Just wear whatever you please whenever and wherever!
Barleymower wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:38 pm I've realised people ask the clan for something to say. I haven't met anyone out that has any real knowledge.
Told you already BM, The Nac MacFeegles of Auchenshoogle, the Elite of the Scots Clans and all Free Men!

Steve.