Skater Skirts Wearers Weight Loss

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skater Skirts Wearers Weight Loss

Post by Grok »

Congratulations, SkaterSkirtWearer. Well done! :D
SkaterSkirtWearer

Post by SkaterSkirtWearer »

FranTastic444 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:44 pm Congratulations. Would be interested to hear how you managed to achieve this goal. I've had several half-hearted attempts at weight loss in recent times (with limited success) but I am now at the point where my health is suffering due to my diet and I need to get my weight as well as eating / drinking habits under control as a priority. I'm looking to go from ~230lb down to ~170lb.

I have to say that my expanding waistline has somewhat affected my skirting enjoyment. I look at the likes of Coder, Skirtyscott, Mark Bryan as well as the various folk I follow on Instagram and think how much better their outfits look (compared to my efforts) for being draped over frames that are not encumbered by a basketball-sized protrusion around the midriff :-)
I achieved this primarily through removing alcohol from my life entirely and having food from the Pinch of Nom recipe books (not sure if they are available in the states). McDonalds in the UK offer grilled wraps as well and having one of those with no chips when out is well under 500 calories, I tried to stick to no more than 1500 calories per day and tried to burn off 500 calories minimum via excercise per day. Cutting out chocolate and sweets was also another important decision and avoiding sugary fizzy drinks helped massively. In terms of excercise I would start with walking and then push to brisk walking which is as far as I went in terms of exercise and have kept the walking up since. My waist now measures at 31 inches compared to 36 inches.

I have found a lot more skirts are available for my physique now being a UK womens size 12 in a lot of places or Medium/Large depending on the retailer. I used to be a size 16 in a lot of places and a 20 in others. Usually I have found the cheaper the outlet the smaller the sizing especially primark but the others aren't too bad. Some new skirts have arrived today and I'll try get some photos organised sometime soon.

You can still be on a diet and enjoy your food, pinch of nom recipes are excellent for it and most fast food and larger restaurants offer suitable stuff. It is easy in the UK when out as calories are printed on everything in a business if they have more than 250 staff.

The whole process took about 6 months but it was well worth it and is completely doable. As always check with your doctor (only put this in to prevent me getting sued) :roll: :roll:

SSW
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Hi SSW - thanks for your reply.

Yes, my snacking (especially chocolate) has to stop and I need to seriously curtail my alcohol consumption (after a period of abstinence). I am also a huge consumer of Diet Coke and I'm sure that is a contributor to my current health situation. A while back, I read a book by a diabetes expert that contained some advice that was seen by some as being controversial. He advocated losing weight as quickly as possible (suggesting 800 cals / day from protein shakes). I probably won't go that low, but I think ~1200 by skipping breakfast and having a fruit / veg-based lunch is achievable. Regarding exercise, I am good for 16 minute mile splits on walks up to about 6 miles. Assuming the snow keeps away, I will look to getting back to doing this and the wife and I have big plans to get the bikes out as soon as the weather permits.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

by skipping breakfast and having a fruit / veg-based lunch is achievable
I will tell you from experience DON'T DO THIS !
Breakfast is the most IMPORTANT meal of the day.

My Doctor gave me the following general advice, and it works :!:
Breakfast = Eat like a King
Lunch/Dinner = Eat like a Prince
Dinner/Supper = Eat like a Pauper

A King's breakfast will start your day with plenty of energy. As your energy
burns off, the Princely lunch will sustain you through the afternoon.
The Pauper dinner will sustain you through your sleeping/resting period.

I was more alert and energetic during the day when I followed that advice.

Also your body is not loading up on high calories that won't 'burn-off' when you're sleeping.
Another thing is not to eat within 2-3 hours before going to sleep. Only drink enough water
to take any medications before sleeping.

Been There, Done That :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Breakfast is slightly (only slightly) overrated, partly (I suspect) as the result of years of publicity campaigns by the makers of breakfast cereals.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... st-for-you

And its content is important: American muffins or pancakes with maple syrup are not healthy breakfast food, but oat porridge with fruit is.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:52 am American muffins or pancakes with maple syrup are not healthy breakfast food, but oat porridge with fruit is.
And that's exactly what we have, at least on weekdays. My wife used to work in health promotion, and she knows the science.