Does the dog die

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Does the dog die

Post by Barleymower »

Men can wear whatever they want. In fact I've seen a lot of posts here where MIS go out and nobody bats an eye.
Yet the prejudice does exist. Men in feminine attire are ridiculed and are butt of the joke. Times are changing and the first step is recognising it is happening.

https://www.doesthedogdie.com/are-there ... ress-jokes

Brilliant!
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Does the dog die

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:41 pm[...] T]he prejudice does exist. Men in feminine attire are ridiculed and are butt of the joke.
Yes, we are ridiculed, sometimes to our face and sometimes to our backs. And, "So what?" Should we be bothered by that to the point where we "give up" and surrender to mediocrity? I'd say, "No!". Not just, "No!", but "Flat NO!". When everything else is considered it's also worth noting that as was pointed out in National Lampoon's Deteriorita, "The universe is laughing behind your back."

Take it in stride and push forward -- because anything else will be ineffective (or, worse, counterproductive).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

"All the world's a stage ", etc etc etc.
My part is player, author, director, and maybe choreographer in due course.
The audience, well they may come and go, the show will go on.
Also note that in dear old Will's time there were no female actors, must have been a right drag.
Steve.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Two observations:

1) Comedy will always bet at someone’s expense - and there are situations where MIS are quite funny.

2) Movies tell “real life” stories - hence they will inevitably contain various tropes about MIS.* To change that will require either some “preaching” in movies - which I wouldn’t want because it would overwhelm the storyline- or a host of movies with MIS incidentally - which won’t happen until MIS are more common.

*This happens for women too - Sandra Dee has to conform to stereotypes to win Danny.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

greenboots wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:31 pm Two observations:

1) Comedy will always bet at someone’s expense - and there are situations where MIS are quite funny.

2) Movies tell “real life” stories - hence they will inevitably contain various tropes about MIS.* To change that will require either some “preaching” in movies - which I wouldn’t want because it would overwhelm the storyline- or a host of movies with MIS incidentally - which won’t happen until MIS are more common.

*This happens for women too - Sandra Dee has to conform to stereotypes to win Danny.
GB I'm not so woke to become indignant when minorities are the butt of the joke. I just need a reality check. Am I laughing with them or at them?
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

greenboots wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:31 pm 1) Comedy will always bet at someone’s expense
I find this is mostly true of American comedy. I find British comedy much better in that regard.

Take for example the IT Crowd, or Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. Or Monty Python. They're quite funny, and IMO not at anyone's expense.

American comedy has its moments. I remember a coffee-table book about coffee-tables :)