Sixty years ago

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Sixty years ago

Post by Bertino56 »

If you were alive on November 22, 1963, where were you when you first
heard the news that President Kennedy had been shot and killed?
I was at Fort Ord, California, in basic training, company C-4-1, and I spent
that day on K-P duty, sweeping, mopping and wiping down the mess hall.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sixty years ago

Post by Grok »

I was in school, in first grade. It was my seventh birthday. I remember the flag being at half mast when I left the school building.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I was in Union City, Ohio for 7th grade. Coming out of the school, I heard a teacher
say she was glad that it happened. I felt that this was the wrong thing to say but, at
that age, I wasn't prepared to say anything about it. I don't really care who the person
is but being assassinated IS WRONG :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I have no memories of the event, but that's not entirely surprising as I was only nearing my 3rd birthday. No doubt I was sheltered from it, otherwise I'd have likely remembered something that'd still be present after all of these years.

That being said, the hard-core pragmatist in me understands the usefulness of assassinations in political circles, and know of several that should have happened, and a few that still should.

But I'm glad to have grown up in the '60s and '70s, because for as turbulent as they were, they were hopeful years, and that shone through brightly -- in culture, in music, in architecture, and in fashion. Everything since then has become a backwater that's been getting nothing but worse.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I was a small child when it happened. My family was visiting my Uncle for Thanksgiving in the Oak Cliff part of Dallas.
I remember all the adults gathered around the TV in the living room but I was clueless what was so important that they had stopped what they had been doing and gathered around the TV.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

crfriend wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:55 am I have no memories of the event, but that's not entirely surprising as I was only nearing my 3rd birthday. No doubt I was sheltered from it, otherwise I'd have likely remembered something that'd still be present after all of these years.

That being said, the hard-core pragmatist in me understands the usefulness of assassinations in political circles, and know of several that should have happened, and a few that still should.

But I'm glad to have grown up in the '60s and '70s, because for as turbulent as they were, they were hopeful years, and that shone through brightly -- in culture, in music, in architecture, and in fashion. Everything since then has become a backwater that's been getting nothing but worse.
Aye whole heartedly agree to that - but this may lead to a bigger mess than it solves - way too many factors to try and unite the country
or cause when these times are so full of vile and vermin mis-statement mis-direction innuendo and add age and use of reason inability to
conduct the peoples business instead of the elected officials own personal (party) agenda.

Yes I too have been fortunate and blessed to live in those ages add 50's 60's and 70's - now wishing this country will come to it senses before
200 plus years become another page in history burned into the earth by a dictator wannabe !

God bless the United States of America and keep this union of the people- by the people - and for the people from perishing from the earth
without drastic measures to keep it that way !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

crfriend wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:55 am That being said, the hard-core pragmatist in me understands the usefulness of assassinations in political circles, and know of several that should have happened, and a few that still should.
Be careful what you wish for. I think it was the Congress of Vienna (1814-1815) that introduced a de facto ban on assassination of foreign leaders for political purposes, precisely because the results are often catastrophic. It's the most obvious act of war you can think of. We do not need more of those.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

rode_kater wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:41 am We do not need more of those.
Agreed!

I was in about 6th grade. A teacher announced it just before we went out for recess. I think we got sent home early.
Bee Guy

Post by Bee Guy »

Grok wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:08 am I was in school, in first grade. It was my seventh birthday. I remember the flag being at half mast when I left the school building.
Grok and I must be the same age. I was also in first grade when this happened. I don't remember anything specific about the day President Kenedy was shot. What I do remember is watching the funeral procession on TV with my family.
Last edited by denimini on Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quotation formatting
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

rode_kater wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:41 amBe careful what you wish for. I think it was the Congress of Vienna (1814-1815) that introduced a de facto ban on assassination of foreign leaders for political purposes, precisely because the results are often catastrophic. It's the most obvious act of war you can think of. We do not need more of those.
A ban on foreign assassinations, I think, is a very good idea. The main use is domestically when a government no longer represents the will of the general populace and nothing else can be done to get rid of the problem(s). Note also that I regard it as a method of last resort.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

At that time I was sharing a double bed-sit in Leeson Park, Dublin 2 with my nearest Brother who was studying Dentistry with me. It was evening and we were both studying in our bedroom when our landlady shouted up the stairs to us from the hallway that President Kennedy had been assassinated. It was only a short time before that he had visited Ireland and I remember him standing up in his car smiling and waving as his motorcade swept by where I was standing in the assembled crowd in Dame Street, Dublin.

This whole country entered a state of numbness for weeks after the news broke.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I was 5 when it happened and sat on the floor behind my father's chair.
I can still remember his words, "there will be a war over this"
Other than knowing that he always voted for the labour party, it's the only political opinion I ever heard from him.
Bear in mind also that my dad was actually John Kennedy.
Steve Kennedy.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Bee Guy wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:51 am
Grok wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:08 am I was in school, in first grade. It was my seventh birthday. I remember the flag being at half mast when I left the school building.
Grok and I must be the same age. I was also in first grade when this happened. I don't remember anything specific about the day President Kenedy was shot. What I do remember is watching the funeral procession on TV with my family.
My birthdate is November 22, 1956. The Kennedy assassination is the earliest event of the wider world that I remember. I have no recollection of the Cuban Missile Crisis (1962).
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I must be one of the few people who doesn't remember the event.  I remember the Coronation of 1953 and hearing of the death of Annette Mills, who meant a lot more to me than any politician.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

pelmut wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:58 pm I must be one of the few people who doesn't remember the event.  I remember the Coronation of 1953 and hearing of the death of Annette Mills, who meant a lot more to me than any politician.
Me too. And doesn't all that seem a long time ago?