Skort Question

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skort Question

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:32 pm
Barleymower wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:14 pm Stevie my question seems to be lost in the ether. What about a skort kilt? Would that work?
Apologies BM,
My honest answer has to be I don't know.
My very jaundiced view of kilts is well publicised already and I do doubt that they'd work in Scotland.
My neighbour's 11 year old daughter attends a local private school and her uniform is a kilted skirt.
She told me the boys are allowed to wear a kilt but they choose not to and we all know why, don't we?
The trouser option for girls starts at secondary, can't wait is her opinion.
The Scots kid who has recently been reported as wearing girl uniform and for now, it's ok because he is 7.
Try it aged 13 and he will have to be able to look after himself.
Who knows, in 6 years skirts of any form may be de rigueur for boys and men, evolution and time will tell.
I thought as much Stevie. If boys are shying away from a kilt in Scotland, then what chance does a skort have?
We may not be comparing eggs with eggs. What I mean is, enticing boys to wear skirts who would otherwise not bother is a loss. They are not going to do it unless there is something in it for them eg female attention.
The target group has to be boys who want greater choice in what they wear also the stigma in boys wearing what is perceived as girls clothes needs ro be gone.

That's why I thought the skort kilt might work. But if boys in Scotland won't wear a kilt, why would boys in England or anywhere else wear one?

"Try it aged 13 and he will have to be able to look after himself"
I am facing the same question with BM junior. That is what will happen at senior school? He thought he could wear normal uniform for boys and skirts when heading into town. It came as a surprise to him that news of his skirt wearing would reach school at lightning speed.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

A school skort will get all of the teasing that a regular skirt will bring with out the actual comfort benefits of the skirt.

I have a denim skort that looks like shorts in back, and has the skirt panel in front. I wear it alot and still have anxiety
About wearing something that only looks like a skirt from the front.
I don't know why I get so fixated and flustered about a extra piece of denim sewn onto the front of my shorts.

It doesn't help that I don't get any support from my wife.
I'm sure that is part of it. I don't want it getting back around to her "I Saw your husband the other day and I m pretty sure he was wearing a skirt"

That article just goes to show how ingrained the view point of skirt s are for females. Skirts, skorts, the kilt all seen primarily as for the female.

People generally cave to the masses view point.

Men won't wear skirts until men wear skirts.

I have even thought it. I will start wearing skirts publicly when I start seeing a few men wearing skirts.

It's difficult to be the only one the lone wolf, an outlier.

The only hope we have is some of these articles are at least bringing up males in skirts.

I do wish they would leave out the gender identity spin.

I'm wearing the skirt or kilt for comfort, NOT any other reason.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:40 pm A school skort will get all of the teasing that a regular skirt will bring with out the actual comfort benefits of the skirt.

I have a denim skort that looks like shorts in back, and has the skirt panel in front. I wear it alot and still have anxiety
About wearing something that only looks like a skirt from the front.
I don't know why I get so fixated and flustered about a extra piece of denim sewn onto the front of my shorts.

It doesn't help that I don't get any support from my wife.
I'm sure that is part of it. I don't want it getting back around to her "I Saw your husband the other day and I m pretty sure he was wearing a skirt"

That article just goes to show how ingrained the view point of skirt s are for females. Skirts, skorts, the kilt all seen primarily as for the female.

People generally cave to the masses view point.

Men won't wear skirts until men wear skirts.

I have even thought it. I will start wearing skirts publicly when I start seeing a few men wearing skirts.

It's difficult to be the only one the lone wolf, an outlier.

The only hope we have is some of these articles are at least bringing up males in skirts.

I do wish they would leave out the gender identity spin.

I'm wearing the skirt or kilt for comfort, NOT any other reason.
How long do you need to take your own words (in bold above) to heart, and to the street? I would suggest that everyone of us on SC that do wear our skirts routinely in public started out as "the one lone wolf", and yes it can be difficult IN YOUR MIND -- the actual act is not hard, nor are the consequences outside of S.O's who you've not brought round to accepting. Yes, it will not become wide-spread until many of us have been the lone wolf outlier. It is up to you now -- are you going to wear a skirt or not--in all likelihood, if you don't become another lone wolf, you'll be dead before the trend catches on.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

It isn’t difficult at all to be the only man wearing a skirt in public. I have done so for almost two years and while I was a bit self conscious at first, that soon passed.

Anyway, skirts (particularly dark ones) are invisible. For well over a year I have mostly worn dresses, which are far from invisible. It is great fun and not difficult.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I think, like Stu, that a skort might mean a big step forward, because it is not quite a skirt with female connotations. If shorts are not allowed to wear to school, skorts should be a good alternative regarding comfort. But also, to men, who should like to wear a skirt, but don’t dare. We should not forget that there might be quite a few out there, who should like to be in skirts, but don't dare. They might be rather inclined to wear a skort.

I think of skorts which are skirts all way round with built-in shorts, not only the shorts type with a front apron. Skorts might be less comfortable than real skirts, however no one can see that it is not a skirt, and no one can see whether the shorts are still there or have been removed. That means that the step from a skort to a skirt is very little. The big one has been when going from jeans to skort (less so when from shorts to a skort).
I have a golf skirt, which is such skort. It has wide black shorts under it and practical deep pockets. The visible difference between this and every other short skirt is non-existent, but also the feeling wearing it is about the same.

GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The (back) pockets would tend to distract from the skort being a skirt or even a skort.
However the pleats spell out some kind of different skirted garment -
These pleats appear to be larger than the pleats found on kilts.
And dark colors hide the skirt/skort better than bright pastels.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:45 am it can be difficult IN YOUR MIND
"In your mind", Faldaguy, does not lessen the difficulty faced by the individual concerned.
Nor can you limit the problems to a single source IE, the partner.
Midas wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:08 am Anyway, skirts (particularly dark ones) are invisible. For well over a year I have mostly worn dresses, which are far from invisible. It is great fun and not difficult.
Sorry Midas, but dark skirts may be less conspicuous but invisible, not likely.
While I'd agree about the fun element and apparent ease for such as us, downplaying risks and concerns helps no one.
mishawakaskirt wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:40 pm I don't know why I get so fixated and flustered about a extra piece of denim sewn onto the front of my shorts.
Hi Mishawaka,
I do, it is because you have been conditioned to believe that "extra" scrap of cloth is taboo for a man or boy and therefore something to be hidden and ashamed of. That falsehood has been so well reinforced by society, that it has morphed into an inalienable truth for many men and women of today.
Sadly, I must concur with Midas and Faldaguy that the only real answer is to be out and about loud and proud.
Easy, only you know the real answer to that.
My own answer was to learn not to give a damn and it worked but at a cost.
Good luck.
Steve
Paul

Post by Paul »

At the end of the day, a Skort is designed to look like a skirt, so if you wear one anyone seeing it will assume that you are wearing a skirt, simple. The only way anyone can tell it’s a Skort is if you flash the built in pants or shorts. Therefore you may as well just wear a skirt and enjoy the experience.
Just my opinion.
Always happy when wearing a skirt.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

The description 'skort' seems to apply to three distinct types: 1/ the shorts with the front flap that only look like a skirt from the front, 2/ the usually pleated wide-leg shorts that do look like a skirt from all angles, e.g. those from the House of Foxy and 3/ the miniskirt with built-in short shorts underneath.
For my sins I favour the latter two, especially if they have hip pockets (rare), but they all tend to be short, the hem falling to the upper thigh only, placing them firmly in the 'female' bracket.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I figure that a "stealth skirt" would be more likely to gain traction. Instead of shorts with a skirt like appearance, a skirt resembling shorts. A semblance of trousers while actually being a skirt.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Grok wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:35 pm I figure that a "stealth skirt" would be more likely to gain traction. Instead of shorts with a skirt like appearance, a skirt resembling shorts. A semblance of trousers while actually being a skirt.
If you can find such a thing, a knee-length denim skirt with a central box pleat would fit the bill.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:16 am
Grok wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:35 pm I figure that a "stealth skirt" would be more likely to gain traction. Instead of shorts with a skirt like appearance, a skirt resembling shorts. A semblance of trousers while actually being a skirt.
If you can find such a thing, a knee-length denim skirt with a central box pleat would fit the bill.
Camouflage and stealth yes, but it will still be a skirt and it will get seen for what it is.
Fool some of the people some of the time etc.
Steve.
Skirt18220

Post by Skirt18220 »

Fully skirted skorts make great skirts. It is very easy to remove the shorts a good pair of scissors makes short work of them.
I wear a shirt or a kilt everyday at home or away. I had met only one other man who was. My neighbour who works at a hardware store told me the other day he has seen at least five different men wearing skirts. my neighbour sees me in a skirt or Kilt all the time.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Skirt18220 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:27 pm Fully skirted skorts make great skirts. It is very easy to remove the shorts a good pair of scissors makes short work of them.
So why not just buy a skirt in the first place?
Skort-shorts= Skirt, no?
Steve
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:39 am
Skirt18220 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:27 pm Fully skirted skorts make great skirts. It is very easy to remove the shorts a good pair of scissors makes short work of them.
So why not just buy a skirt in the first place?
Skort-shorts= Skirt, no?
Steve
The debate is turning full circle to its inevitable conclusion. No matter which way you dress it (pun) the skort is more of a skirt than it is a pair of shorts.
The only way for the skirt or skort to be accepted is for the skirt to gain popularity.The reason the skirt not gaining popularity among men is because it is feminine and that undermines men's perceived masculinity.
What does that tell us about what it means to be masculine? How can something so tough be so fragile?