Double Standards?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Double Standards?

Post by STEVIE »

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/fam ... 7eea&ei=19

Sister helping herself to clothes from her brother's room.
The boy complains and dad instals a lock for him.
Sister, mum and grandma are not happy.
Now, I wonder what they'd have said had it been vice-versa.
Perfect example of the difference in societal expectation between genders.
There are also a hell of a lot of women, and men too, who would unreservedly agree.
Personally, I think the girl should have to compensate the boy as a sanction for what is effectively stealing.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Double Standards?

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:31 pm https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/fam ... 7eea&ei=19

Sister helping herself to clothes from her brother's room.
The boy complains and dad instals a lock for him.
Sister, mum and grandma are not happy.
Now, I wonder what they'd have said had it been vice-versa.
Perfect example of the difference in societal expectation between genders.
There are also a hell of a lot of women, and men too, who would unreservedly agree.
Personally, I think the girl should have to compensate the boy as a sanction for what is effectively stealing.
Steve.
Slightly odd one. The sister was wrong to steal his clothes but door locks and a mini fridge? That like saying that she is unable to control her actions?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

The attitude from the women appears to be that she did nothing especially wrong.
Their take was that by applying the lock, she was being treated like a criminal.
OK, that is questionable but, if her brother had been the perp, he'd have been lynched.
Probably ostracised by the family and treated as a pervert into the bargain.
Apparently, one justification was that his clothes fitted her "preferred" style better than anything she could find for herself?
Maybe fake news but I see a grain of truth in it and I think I know folks who'd agree with the females in that family.
Steve.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Not mentioned in the article but is in the Reddit itself: the ages are 17M and 16F. Still a weird story..
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

rode_kater wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:37 am Not mentioned in the article but is in the Reddit itself: the ages are 17M and 16F. Still a weird story..
Sorry guys, but I maybe being thick here. (Stupid)
The lock on the door maybe a bit of an overreaction, possibly viewed as weird.
That's not the real point of the thread though.
The girl is being treated differently just by being a female, her brother would have faced much worse consequences.
A lock on her door would have been the least of his worries, she got off too lightly.
Steve.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Hell yes. If the boy stole his sister's jeans he would have been doused in petrol and set alight, with the lock on his door used to keep him in until his burns healed. I hate to think what would happen to him if he stole her skirt.

I think that the only double standards in this weird story are those conjured in our own heads :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia