Hi from Staffordshire

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
TonautBrom

Hi from Staffordshire

Post by TonautBrom »

Hi all - I’ve been lurking for a while, thought it was about time I made my first post. I’ve felt drawn to wearing female normative clothing most of my life (I’m now 65) and occasionally do the whole crossdress in public thing, although it rarely seems to be worth the bother these days!

Lately I’ve been feeling it’s time to just wear the clothes I want to and not try to be a person I’m not. Starting with something not too flamboyant I’ve bought a simple denim skirt from M&S and am enjoying wearing when working at home.

Soon though I’ll be travelling to Australia on business and am planning to wear my skirt for the journey. I’ve read a lot of accounts of people who’ve done that and no one seems to have had any problems. I’ll let the forum know how it goes!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hi from Staffordshire

Post by denimini »

Welcome to the Cafe. You won't see many men in skirts in Australia, if any, but from my experience you won't have any issues as a man wearing a skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
TonautBrom

Post by TonautBrom »

That’s really reassuring to hear! Thanks.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

TonautBrom wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:49 am Hi all - I’ve been lurking for a while, thought it was about time I made my first post. I’ve felt drawn to wearing female normative clothing most of my life (I’m now 65) and occasionally do the whole crossdress in public thing, although it rarely seems to be worth the bother these days!

Lately I’ve been feeling it’s time to just wear the clothes I want to and not try to be a person I’m not. Starting with something not too flamboyant I’ve bought a simple denim skirt from M&S and am enjoying wearing when working at home.

Soon though I’ll be travelling to Australia on business and am planning to wear my skirt for the journey. I’ve read a lot of accounts of people who’ve done that and no one seems to have had any problems. I’ll let the forum know how it goes!
It is refreshing to hear you are becoming comfortable with the simplicity of just wearing the clothes you like -- a man does not need the cover of crossdressing to 'justify' their choice.

You may had picked up that there are several members from Oz here, but indeed it is a very large landscape and meeting up with others may be unlikely unless set up in advance. I wandered much, mostly the eastern half of AU in 2011 and 2012, often skirted with nary a nick in my body or my psyche. The only place I know that may have improved odds of meeting other blokes in skirts would be Melbourne and specifically St. Kilda which sports a nice beach that attracts the adventurous.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

Welcome here.

You will find there are quite a few skirt wearers here in Australia but well spread out across a vast country. I haven't encountered any issues out and about but I am fairly new to interacting with other people while skirted. I am sure you will enjoy Australia.
TonautBrom

Post by TonautBrom »

Thanks both. I’ll be in Melbourne CBD on business during my stay and will be in meetings during the days. If I get an evening or two to myself I’ll take myself out for a beskirted walk. Sounds like I won’t have any problems. :D
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Welcome

Out of idle curiosity, can you explain your SkirtCafe moniker, or does that info need to remain classified to protect your identity? :-)

Wondering if you are a huge Baggies fan?
TonautBrom

Post by TonautBrom »

So I ride a Brompton bike…and am therefore a Bromptonaut…which somehow became Tonaut Brom. Sounds vaguely Swedish I think, which is nice.

And sadly yes I am a Baggies fan.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

And sadly yes I am a Baggies fan.
We all have our cross to bear :-)

Brompton's *might* be on our radar when we get to the next stage of our life journey (either remote working, semi-retirement or full fat retirement). We are planning to do some RV'ing in the US before returning to the UK to live on a narrowboat. For both lifestyles we want to have bike access and something that is foldable might work well for us. A YouTuber I follow has added a motorized hub to her Brompton, which is something that I'd probably need for the wife.
TonautBrom

Post by TonautBrom »

They are fantastic, really good to ride. The steering can be a bit jittery if you don’t have a pannier on the front block mount though. If you have an electric one the battery goes there I believe, so that would sort it.