Input solicited on SKIRTS & PEACE

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Input solicited on SKIRTS & PEACE

Post by Faldaguy »

I have been invited to submit an article on Peace, incorporating Skirts -- for a quasi religious newsletter; & no, it is not comedic, farce, irony, mocking ---so if any of you have interesting insights, experiences, or suggestions -- please send them my way; here or as PM's -- your choice. Gracias, Faldaguy
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Input solicited on SKIRTS & PEACE

Post by Jim »

"Skirts and peace"? That sounds fascinating to me as a skirt-wearing Christian pacifist. I'd love to see what you come up with.

My primary motivation for skirts is comfort; I had a groin rash in hot weather for decades until I switched to skirts. But the secondary motivation is justice (not quite peace, maybe). My wife and I got into hot water when I, as a farm manager, allowed her and other women to work without a shirt as I always do in hot weather. I think it is only fair and just that the same clothing rules apply to males and females and I am trying to break down discriminatory barriers. Wearing skirts is also a rejection of the macho image; I'm fairly muscular for my age and do a lot of physical work which could lead to people thinking of me that way which I don't want.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Well, this is a challenge:
As pants were invented more for riding horses, primarily for the use in aggressive activities, including conquering, plundering, rape and pillage. Hence the wearing of a skirt would indicate that one was not that way inclined.
There may be a sense of vulnerability with wearing a skirt, hence one who shows vulnerability is not likely to be an aggressor. (A variation on "turn the other cheek")

I often ponder on the incongruity of camo mini skirts, of which I own a few, although some colourings would only work in a fairy-floss shop.
Somehow I don't think that they would see any real combat with painting of face and legs etc. Perhaps they are designed for observing wild animals in warm climates.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

The differences between men and women are leading to deepening issues which are becoming harder to resolve. I see skirts as a bridge between men and women where they could find some commonality rather than constantly looking for differences.
My own reasons for wearing skirts are simple. I've always wanted to wear skirts right from the first time
I saw them. It's one of my earliest recollections. I did not wear skirts until 57 because of feared repercussions. I saw an opening, a reason, an opportunity to wear skirts when my daughter said she is nonbinary and I didn't understand her. I opened up and havn't looked back.
My fears were realised and I did recieve a backlash. The difference being that I'm old enough now not to care.
Last edited by Barleymower on Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Faldaguy wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:29 am Peace, incorporating Skirts
This could well be the title of an epic volume if Moon sees it Faldaguy.
Succinctly as I can make it, my take is this.
In the earliest days, wearing/borrowing skirts gave me joy, you may call it peace.
The middle stages were tumultuos and harrowing but also of learning and growth.
Today, peace through what I wear comes in two distinct forms, inner and outer.
Inner is the awareness of the whole person that I have become since showing my true self to the world.
Outer is my belief that I make others realise that there are always alternatives to be considered in life.
For my own purposes, I shall consider expanding on this topic, thanks for the inspiration.
Steve.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Thank you, there are good bits in each of these replies -- keep them coming please, I'm inspired!
skirtedlondoner

Post by skirtedlondoner »

I second the approach for comfort. Pants were always too constricting - especially shorts. I've always said openly to a broader public that if skirts were socially acceptable for men to wear I would definitely wear them whenever I can - UK weather providing. Now the time has come that I openly wear skirts and the UK public seems completely unfaced by it, thankfully. Bless the British ambivalence.
Another aspect for me was that the men's fashion is rather boring. Were you not interested in weating a navy/black/grey suite, then you pretty much might as well go naked. This fact is underlined even more by the fact that I was heavily complemented by ladies when I wore a simple oxford yellow shirt... I mean, it's just a shirt, innit? Everything is bland and samey in men's fashion, while skirts provide a bit more excitement.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

skirtedlondoner wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:18 pm I second the approach for comfort. Pants were always too constricting - especially shorts. I've always said openly to a broader public that if skirts were socially acceptable for men to wear I would definitely wear them whenever I can - UK weather providing. Now the time has come that I openly wear skirts and the UK public seems completely unfaced by it, thankfully. Bless the British ambivalence.
Another aspect for me was that the men's fashion is rather boring. Were you not interested in weating a navy/black/grey suite, then you pretty much might as well go naked. This fact is underlined even more by the fact that I was heavily complemented by ladies when I wore a simple oxford yellow shirt... I mean, it's just a shirt, innit? Everything is bland and samey in men's fashion, while skirts provide a bit more excitement.
Nice to hear from another Londoner! One snappy dresser is instagrammer @thechrishill , who has some great skirt / formal shirt combo's that he wears to work and about town. I think London's residents have seen it all, so a smartly dressed gent will hardly turn heads. Men's clothing in general only gets exciting with vibrant colours like Royal Blue shorts :lol:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

new2skirts wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:33 pm Nice to hear from another Londoner!
I hope that there may be a REAL meet for you guys in the future!
How hard can it be?
Steve.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Since I first saw this I have been trying to find a short article I once read about how women view men in skirts. I have not been able to so I'll have to rely on my memory and hope that I represent the point accurately.
The article said that in a world where women are inclined to be very guarded in the presence of an unknown man, they would be much less so if the man was wearing a skirt or a dress. Several reasons were offered for that, one being that the wearing of such an outfit made the man appear less dangerous in their eyes. Of course, the insinuation of being gay was there but it was not the only factor as the article noted that men can wear skirts and not be gay and the women observing would not know that. At least from the point of view of the writer. The main focus was that a man who dons a skirt or a dress is more open-minded and less likely to rely on what was thought to be the icky parts of traditional male behavior that a woman would find uncomfortable or threatening.
What bearing this may have on the overall experience of "peace" is hard to say but it does seem to offer individuals a piece of comfort.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Modoc wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:50 pm [...]
The article said that in a world where women are inclined to be very guarded in the presence of an unknown man, they would be much less so if the man was wearing a skirt or a dress.
I have certainly found that to be true.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.