Hi! How are you?

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Paula Proctor

Hi! How are you?

Post by Paula Proctor »

Hello! I've recently joined because my husband wears skirts. Full disclosure: I'm a woman. Full full disclosure my name isn't actually Paula. Lol.
To begin with I was uncomfortable going out with my husband when he was wearing a skirt. I hate the idea that people are looking at me or my family, much less talking or laughing about us. I have always been self-conscious because I am overweight so I would wear clothes to disguise it.
As I got older I don't care as much. I have accepted my weight, more or less. I also wear more skirts than I used to. If my husband f can do it then so can I!
There is no rational or logical reason why men shouldn't wear skirts. For me personally I prefer it when my husband wears more masculine skirts. I'm more attracted to masculinity I guess. Maybe my social conditioning needs to be broken more than it is.
Keep wearing skirts!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hi! How are you?

Post by Freedomforall »

Welcome! We are so glad you are here and appreciate your support.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hola Paula,
Thank you for your forthright and gracious introduction -- I suspect it is a refrain that has played in the minds of many women who live with Men in Skirts. As you say, there is no rational reason; and if you have not already, I suspect you soon will discover that there really aren't a bunch of folks looking or laughing. Anything unusual will catch people's attention, but that does not imply any sneers or laughter -- often it actually admiration.

Your husband is most fortunate, as am I and a few others here who have significant others who do support us and don't let there own fears (usually unjustified) get in the way of being your own person.

My wife and I often exchange skirts (well, maybe the exchange is not quite equal -- she borrows mine fairly frequently, and sometimes fails to return them :) but is more reluctant to share hers! No loss, I get the pleasure of seeing her skirted more often. She is still my "consultant" when it comes to matching, mixing, and styles that work which has helped us both understand one another's needs and views -- and I think most men in skirts appreciate the additional 'education' that women can bring to our skirt wearing.

My wife too, seems to prefer it when I wear more "masculine" skirts, but less so now as she has come to see that colors, prints, and attractive combinations often outshine whoever is wearing it. I hope you will come to be not hesitant, but proud of your guy as someone who is helping lead a road to freedom and practicality. Men have been trapped in a rut of regimented conformity so long they do not know all the implications, but such narrowness breeds narrow and negative responses -- the so-called masculine traits that are not conducive to well being.

So welcome aboard. I wish we had more women willing to speak up. My wife is supportive, but is too busy and does not see my obsession with skirts as worth more than the occasional tip -- or can I borrow your....! :D
Talaria

Post by Talaria »

Welcome, I'm new here too and your words are a wonderful encouragement to me as a man enjoying skirts so thank you
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Hello Paula,
Thanks for sharing your perspective on MIS.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Paula Proctor wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:07 pm Hello! I've recently joined because my husband wears skirts. Full disclosure: I'm a woman. Full full disclosure my name isn't actually Paula. Lol.
To begin with I was uncomfortable going out with my husband when he was wearing a skirt. I hate the idea that people are looking at me or my family, much less talking or laughing about us. I have always been self-conscious because I am overweight so I would wear clothes to disguise it.
As I got older I don't care as much. I have accepted my weight, more or less. I also wear more skirts than I used to. If my husband f can do it then so can I!
There is no rational or logical reason why men shouldn't wear skirts. For me personally I prefer it when my husband wears more masculine skirts. I'm more attracted to masculinity I guess. Maybe my social conditioning needs to be broken more than it is.
Keep wearing skirts!
Hi PP, thanks for joining the group. I think input and support from women like you is vital in normalising broader clothing choices for men.

What turned your uncomfortableness with MIS around, time not being a factor?

Woild you still view your man less masculine in say a floral, wafty skirt than a heavy, thick material with equipment pockets?
Paula Proctor

Post by Paula Proctor »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:46 pm
Paula Proctor wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:07 pm Hello! I've recently joined because my husband wears skirts. Full disclosure: I'm a woman. Full full disclosure my name isn't actually Paula. Lol.
Keep wearing skirts!
Hi PP, thanks for joining the group. I think input and support from women like you is vital in normalising broader clothing choices for men.

What turned your uncomfortableness with MIS around, time not being a factor?

Woild you still view your man less masculine in say a floral, wafty skirt than a heavy, thick material with equipment pockets?
To answer your first question: he wore a kilt a lot for a bit which I got used to quicker. And just general wearing of skirts consistently.
Second question: wafty skirts are worn with masculine t shirts or jumpers so it doesn't make him look less masculine per se. He's very male. Whatever that means.
happykilt

Post by happykilt »

Paula Proctor wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:18 pm ...wafty skirts...
What is a "wafty skirt"? Google did not help...
Paula Proctor

Post by Paula Proctor »

happykilt wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:44 pm
Paula Proctor wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:18 pm ...wafty skirts...
What is a "wafty skirt"? Google did not help...
Wafty is floaty fabric, like silk or something light
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Paula Proctor wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:07 pm [...]
To begin with I was uncomfortable going out with my husband when he was wearing a skirt. I hate the idea that people are looking at me or my family, much less talking or laughing about us. ...
But were they looking and laughing or were they just going about their own business?  When I first wore skirts, two friends at different times were conviced I would be an object of public ridicule, so they followed me at a discrete distance, one in a couple of supermarkets and one in a busy shopping centre.  In both cases they were surprised to find almost no reaction (one of them overheard "Those boots don't go with that skirt").

'What would the neighbours think!' is a very strong fear which many wives have when their husband first tries wearing a skirt, but it usually turns out to be groundless.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Buenos Dias Paula,

Another this that's worth recalling is that costume (clothing) has no "gender" assigned to it other than culturally -- and what you're fighting with at the moment is Western society's rigid dress code as applied to men, women having broken down that barrier decades ago.

Something else that's worth recalling is that masculinity stems from deep inside one and cannot be "put on" as if it was a mask because it'll be instantly recognisable to anyone paying attention that it's mere posing, not the real thing. I'm attempting to kindle a new romance, my last long-term one having failed some 7 years ago, and no woman I've ever conversed with for more than a few moments has thought me anything of the than being fully male. Yes, there are honest questions about my style of attire (some of which can be quite floaty and colourful), but that's them feeling me out -- and if it becomes obvious that they cannot "get their heads around that" simple topic they're never going to get the resto of me. You've known your guy for years, and when I first expressed a desire to give skirts a go some 20 years ago my late ex- commented "Well, there's 15 seconds I'm never getting back!", referring to her asking if it "meant anything Earth-shattering". The answer was quite obviously, "No." and we moved on from there, with her winning the prize of having a man who -- for the first time in his life -- actually cared what he looked like, and to her that was magical.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Keep wearing skirts!
Welcome! Nice to see another lady on here! I'm Moonshadows Wife.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."