Skirtcraft wrap skirt on Kickstarter June 6th [2023]

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Uncle Al

Re: Skirtcraft wrap skirt on Kickstarter June 6th [2023]

Post by Uncle Al »

I would love to participate in the "Kickstarter" program but
this skirt is way out side of my price point.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

rode_kater wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:12 pm Looks really neat. Unfortunately, I have found that wrap skirts and cycling don't mix well. I'm looking for a way to deal with that (extra hidden button or something), but until then I have a moratorium on new wrap skirts.

With respect to the fit on the two models: if you're wearing it at your natural waist then you have a size smaller and the width of the skirt with respect to your hips is smaller. I'm guessing that explains the effect. Though it is kind of surprising it's so obvious. Of course, people are three-dimensional beings so the same skirt will simply look different on different people.

Good luck with the kickstarter!
Thank you :) I can see how a wrap skirt could be a problem while cycling. It makes me wish I'd considered including a feature like you're mentioning... Great point, too, about the waist/hip width effect.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Uncle Al wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:40 pm I would love to participate in the "Kickstarter" program but
this skirt is way out side of my price point.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
I appreciate the supportive comment, Al, and am sorry the price isn't lower! It's because they'll be made in the USA and produced in comparatively small batches due to our being a tiny company.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

A few people asked about whether they could dye the lighter ("natural") skirt color. It seems the answer is yes. :D

I dyed one using Procion MX fiber reactive dye in the Bright Blue color.

It turned out very well, I think!

The color is so vibrant it almost looks like the photo has been altered, but it really looks that bright (especially in full sun, as in the photo). Of course, you can get a less eye-popping result using a subtler dye, less dye, or a shorter immersion.

These dyes are supposed to hold their color quite well over time. The only thing is that the skirt's thread, which is polyester for reasons of strength and durability, does not take the dye. The result is the stitching remains the original color, which is noticeable up close but less so from a distance.

Side note: the Kickstarter project is now at 89% of goal :)
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

finrod wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:16 pm Hey friends, Skirtcraft's wrap skirt, the Tellurian, will be available for preorder on Kickstarter beginning Tuesday, June 6th.

Feedback and questions welcome, of course!

Joe
Hey Joe, I want to congratulate you on a successful kickstarter. I don’t know if you would’ve had any financial loss if they weren’t made (I fear it cost you something to make the design and first skirts for photos), but I’m really impressed that you stick your neck out there for the cause you believe in.

I’m looking forward to trying one on.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

ScotL wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:49 pm Hey Joe, I want to congratulate you on a successful kickstarter. I don’t know if you would’ve had any financial loss if they weren’t made (I fear it cost you something to make the design and first skirts for photos), but I’m really impressed that you stick your neck out there for the cause you believe in.

I’m looking forward to trying one on.
Thanks so much, Scot. :D I try to reduce the risk by getting feedback early on and checking that there's enough interest before moving into the more costly parts, but it can't be avoided entirely.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

finrod wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:00 pm
Thanks so much, Scot. :D I try to reduce the risk by getting feedback early on and checking that there's enough interest before moving into the more costly parts, but it can't be avoided entirely.
I think “checking that there’s enough interest” is just the sign of a good business person.

But I’m sure you’ve spent your own cash to also bring a third unisex skirt to market. You’ve done wonders for the MIS world.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

finrod wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:33 pm Thank you :) I can see how a wrap skirt could be a problem while cycling. It makes me wish I'd considered including a feature like you're mentioning... Great point, too, about the waist/hip width effect.
No problem, it's not something I considered much before either. Fortunately there are normal skirts which work just fine. I'm thinking a strategically placed button might work, but honestly, I'd have to try it out.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Oh one thing I wanted to mention. I think you talked about having to decide between d-rings and a tie? I'm glad you went with d-rings. I have a few wrap skirts that tie... and while I'm not embarrassed to wear them, sometimes tuck the bow in so it's not noticeable. I like the cleaner lines and less, erm, fru fru nature of the rings vs a bow. also, less hassle - d-rings easily open up vs fighting with a tie that got too tight or opens up on you.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Coder wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:39 pm Oh one thing I wanted to mention. I think you talked about having to decide between d-rings and a tie? I'm glad you went with d-rings. I have a few wrap skirts that tie... and while I'm not embarrassed to wear them, sometimes tuck the bow in so it's not noticeable. I like the cleaner lines and less, erm, fru fru nature of the rings vs a bow. also, less hassle - d-rings easily open up vs fighting with a tie that got too tight or opens up on you.
I'm glad to hear that! My feelings are similar. Initially I had some doubts about D-rings due to some negative experiences I'd had with them slipping in the past, and a couple people have given similar feedback. What I learned though, while developing this design, is that they really hold quite securely as long as the strap has the right width and thickness relative to the size of the rings. They're even commonly used to secure motor helmets. :o
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Under 24 hours to go in the campaign, by the way!

Unisex Wrap Skirt with Pockets on Kickstarter

The Kickstarter ends on Thursday at 1pm Central US time, and once I've collected backer size/color selections a week or so later, I'll be submitting the production orders. The wrap skirts will be available for regular purchasing once I receive the full batch from the factory (expected in August), for a slightly higher price ($89) versus the Kickstarter backer option ($79).

Thanks again for all the feedback and support. 🙏

Joe
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

finrod wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:18 pm
Thanks again for all the feedback and support. 🙏

Joe
Congratulations on beating your goal. Looking forward to trying mine on. I got two. One for me and one for the wife. I think… hahaha
sjsandy

Post by sjsandy »

i just recently bought 2 unisex skirts from Adidas. Love them and hope to see this trend continue.