Escape: Qantas reveals new inclusive uniforms, scraps male and female classifications

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
bikesaurus

Re: Escape: Qantas reveals new inclusive uniforms, scraps male and female classifications

Post by bikesaurus »

In a sense, aren't we all just unbranded range animals?
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Escape: Qantas reveals new inclusive uniforms, scraps male and female classifications

Post by jamie001 »

crfriend wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:06 pm
jamie001 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:01 pmWhy does it matter if the checked the trans box? It actually gives you more job security
Because it comes at the cost of your true self. Some things are not open to compromise. Full stop.

Too, wait for the inevitable backlash -- that checked trans-* box will cost you a job in a New York second.
CR,

I have several questions.

Why will the checked trans box cost your your job? How does it affect how you do your job? If you continue to do good work, why would you loose your job?

From your reply, I surmise that your coworkers do not know about your skirt wearing. Are you concerned about running into one of your coworkers at when you are not at work? Could that event cause the “trans” box to be checked?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I was trying to find some more details on the uniforms, nothing else but this article from 2022 stuck out to me:

https://thenewdaily.com.au/opinion/2022 ... s-uniform/
In 2003, I was editing Vogue and part of a fashion panel to help choose a designer for a new Qantas uniform. We chose Peter Morrissey, who worked with Balarinji Design studio to produce the boomerang print which appeared on shirtdress and blouses.

I learned then that there are many occupational health and safety factors involved when it comes to designing crew uniforms, because fashion and function are often poles apart.

We were 100 per cent voted down when we suggested that the male cabin crew should only wear long-sleeved shirts, as they explained how hot it can get working on long flights, so they gave them the option of short or long.
I guess I don't subscribe to a hive-mindset when it comes to clothes - I find it terrible how restrictive these little Napoleon's are. Their disconnection with reality, and - yes - outdated ideas.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

jamie001 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:03 pm I wonder if under the Quanta’s policy I could mix and match? In other words wear a male shirt sans tie, women’s skirt, pantyhose, and women’s shoes
Sadly no. It states that each garment is part of an overall "capsule"
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:02 am I was trying to find some more details on the uniforms, nothing else but this article from 2022 stuck out to me:

https://thenewdaily.com.au/opinion/2022 ... s-uniform/
In 2003, I was editing Vogue and part of a fashion panel to help choose a designer for a new Qantas uniform. We chose Peter Morrissey, who worked with Balarinji Design studio to produce the boomerang print which appeared on shirtdress and blouses.

I learned then that there are many occupational health and safety factors involved when it comes to designing crew uniforms, because fashion and function are often poles apart.

We were 100 per cent voted down when we suggested that the male cabin crew should only wear long-sleeved shirts, as they explained how hot it can get working on long flights, so they gave them the option of short or long.
I guess I don't subscribe to a hive-mindset when it comes to clothes - I find it terrible how restrictive these little Napoleon's are. Their disconnection with reality, and - yes - outdated ideas.
And yet the author likely thinks they were overly accommodating to allow men to wear short sleeves. I am always at odds with administrators who fly desks making rules for those of us “in the trenches.”
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:10 amWhy will the checked trans box cost your your job? How does it affect how you do your job? If you continue to do good work, why would you loose your job?
When, not "if", the backlash to all this PC mess happens it's going to be a heck of a mess, and I do not need any strikes against me that I haven't committed myself. Until that happens, though, I ought to be reasonably safe because I'm the only one who can do my job -- everyone else has been let go, and they're dropping ever more on me.
From your reply, I surmise that your coworkers do not know about your skirt wearing. Are you concerned about running into one of your coworkers at when you are not at work? Could that event cause the “trans” box to be checked?
It was common knowledge in the local office that I wear skirts, mainly because I wore them to work and nobody ever questioned whether I was trans-* because I'm quite obviously not. The crew in Dallas (where the company that bought me, along with everyone else in the little startup I worked for in 2014 is based) does not know about my skirts, and I don't regard it as particularly important. Dallas has lapped up the "PRIDE" Kool-Aid and has been spouting it so vehemently since early in the month that I've taken to binning all the company-transmitted e-mail at the first hint of the word.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

ScotL wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:18 am
Coder wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:02 am
And yet the author likely thinks they were overly accommodating to allow men to wear short sleeves. I am always at odds with administrators who fly desks making rules for those of us “in the trenches.”
Regarding this person's view on sleeve length a word that comes to mind is "petty."

As another example of pettiness, dress codes that forbid employees/school boys from wearing shorts during hot weather.

Another criticism that comes to mind is the lack of common sense.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Grok :

Why do you quote an entire post, yet do not write your comments about the post :?:

How are "we" to know what you are agreeing, or not agreeing, too :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Actually, there seems to have been some glitch when I posted. Somehow, my comments were displayed as though I was quoting ScotL :scratch:
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Grok wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:26 pm Actually, there seems to have been some glitch when I posted. Somehow, my comments were displayed as though I was quoting ScotL :scratch:
When shortening quoted or nested posts, you have to be quite careful to leave the right number of open and close quote tags.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:27 pm
Grok wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:26 pm Actually, there seems to have been some glitch when I posted. Somehow, my comments were displayed as though I was quoting ScotL :scratch:
When shortening quoted or nested posts, you have to be quite careful to leave the right number of open and close quote tags.
On top of that, some characters prevent quotes from being interpreted correctly (when touching the first ]).
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:27 pm When shortening quoted or nested posts, you have to be quite careful to leave the right number of open and close quote tags.
There's also a super-handly "preview" button which lets you see how it will look before posting. I use it all the time because just reading your own text back in a different font is enough to catch some stupid typo's I otherwise missed.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Mistakes happen, no worries from me. I’m glad MB, Coder and RK stepped in to help you.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Thanks, guys! :D