99% versus 1%

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

99% versus 1%

Post by Uncle Al »

This holds true in almost anything we do....
99% not offended JPG 2023-06-09.jpg
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: 99% versus 1%

Post by crfriend »

The problems is is that the 1% are incredibly shrill and annoying to have around.

As is said in the West, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

I'm happier with the Eastern one of, "The nail that sticks up get's hammered down."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:08 pm I'm happier with the Eastern one of, "The nail that sticks up get's hammered down."
But wouldn't we be the nail? Or perhaps I should first ask - what is the nail in this analogy? I mean, in context with what you've already written - I guess it's the noisy person. But not being told that... I'd have assumed it was someone who was different from the rest, or not in their assigned place.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:02 pmBut wouldn't we be the nail? Or perhaps I should first ask - what is the nail in this analogy?
Yes, in certain circumstances we might be viewed as the nail -- the goal is not to due to comportment and behaviour, Thus, even though I "look a bit odd" in public, my behaviour largely overwhelms that and I find myself accepted. However, to be honest, it has not changed my fortunes in trying to find a romantic relationship.

The "nail" in the classic sense is the one who demands immediate acceptance and who doesn't put any value behind the prospect. See "PRIDE" as an example of a nail that sticks up. Be the one who adds value to the situation and acceptance will follow very easily.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

For me, the offended 1% are the evangelical Right wing, not the Pride lobby. America seems to spend more effort bending over backwards to accommodate religious conservatives than any civilized country should need to.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:21 pm For me, the offended 1% are the evangelical Right wing, not the Pride lobby. America seems to spend more effort bending over backwards to accommodate religious conservatives than any civilized country should need to.
I'm an atheist, but I think behaviour etc that we encounter in public places should be acceptable to the vast majority. I don't think scantily dressed men wearing bondage gear should be dancing in the streets where children are.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Stu wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:16 pm
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:21 pm For me, the offended 1% are the evangelical Right wing, not the Pride lobby. America seems to spend more effort bending over backwards to accommodate religious conservatives than any civilized country should need to.
I'm an atheist, but I think behaviour etc that we encounter in public places should be acceptable to the vast majority. I don't think scantily dressed men wearing bondage gear should be dancing in the streets where children are.
Then that goes for women too. I don't want to see that crap from anyone.

I still think the stripper billboards in West Virginia are in bad taste.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Uncle Al wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:00 pm This holds true in almost anything we do....
99% not offended JPG 2023-06-09.jpg

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Seems to me, it's the 99% that are offended by everything these days.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Stu wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:16 pm
You must have been to a more exciting Pride event than the one we had here!
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I wonder whether I somehow might be privileged, living in surroundings where no one seems offended by other people’s way of dressing, at least they are well-bred enough, not to tell.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

crfriend wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:08 pm The problems is is that the 1% are incredibly shrill and annoying to have around.
Honestly, if you ignore anti-social media, you barely hear them at all. Though it might be different if they live near you physically.
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:10 pm You must have been to a more exciting Pride event than the one we had here!
I wonder if the fact they know it garners a reaction makes them more extreme. Over here I know there's a pride event sometime, but I honestly wouldn't know when because no-one I know considers it interesting. The main hint is a neighbour a few doors down hangs out a rainbow flag. Don't want to see it? Don't go.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

rode_kater wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:34 am
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:10 pm You must have been to a more exciting Pride event than the one we had here!
I wonder if the fact they know it garners a reaction makes them more extreme.
Our local Pride march was not at all extreme, as far as I could see. Only one person I saw was dressed in a manner that I would call deliberately risque, with straps and stockings. There was a clutch of older men in traditional black biker leathers, and a lot of bright colour, and a handful of mtf trans people with slightly questionable fashion sense (and a teenager in a mini who could have been a Boy in a Skirt, though the fishnets suggested trans aspiration). Plus a drag artiste as compere in the park at the end. The general level of reaction - ranging from enthusaistic photo-taking through amused toleration to indifference - suggested that the 1% (OK, maybe 10%) who object to such things were wisely staying out of the way. (If the Jehovah's Witnesses had their Bible bookstand out in the High Street that day, I didn't see what happened when the technicolour parade swept past them!)

I find it an awkward balancing act: I greatly sympathize with those who would like to champion the skirt simply as a fashion choice for straight men, but I can't avoid admitting that, on a personal level, my own public adoption of skirts is partly bound up with my internal acceptance of being bisexual.