Wearing a Dress in Public Today

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wearing a Dress in Public Today

Post by weeladdie18 »

I was informed by a learned gentleman that the aim of the Church's Teachings was to keep the peasants simple......
The aim of the Squire was to keep the peasants poor.

I am afraid we are getting our thoughts regarding "wearing a dress in public today " ...somewhat confused....

My current theme is to consider the Above the knee , pop over Roman Soldier style of tunic as a suitable garment for male wear''

Old Salt has found an illustration of this style of garment....to my eye , this looks like a male garment, and cannot be confused
with an off the peg female dress.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

If I am correct Dave PDX considers he can successfully wear a female dress....well done Dave .....
I have successfully worn a couple of below the knee shift dresses...these were worn with a combination of male clothes ...the trial wearing out on the
street was successful.....my problem is changing in and out of a dress if I need to wear trousers for any part of the day or wish to try on a skirt
in a changing room away from home...

There is a problem with some other Robes or Habits or Caftans as they make the wearer look an Ethnic Minority or Religious group member...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

One of the Hard Core problems is that I wish to appear as a man who has replaced his trousers with a skirt......

Other friends in this site are quite happy to appear as a man in a dress......there are no guidelines so the resulting progress is each to his own....weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I was out in my leggings worn under a summer skirt in temperatures down to 4 C today so this way to stay warm does work......

Ralph reported a style of multi layers of garments wear as protection against the cold .....so there is a continual way forward.....well done ...weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

We had our first snow which held up all traffic on the A 30 duel carriageway into Cornwall this afternoon...40 miles further west we only has a bit of slush
on lower ground 200 feet above sea level . Plenty of water on the roads and the three foot deep drainage ditches are full.
A pleasant Afternoon between the showers ....The gritters are out so we might have trouble this evening

Todays forecast was all to pot so it is all in the lap of the Gods
.....my skirt over leggings with rubber boots worked OK in this weather.....................Needs must...when the Devil drives
Oneoff

Post by Oneoff »

I may be coming late to the party, but I do believe that a man can wear a dress and still be masculine. I was with my SO for a "dressy" night out. I was wearing a dark blue knee length dress with 3/4 sleeves, hose and heels, my SO was similarly attired. We had several positive comments while waiting in the hotel driveway for the Uber driver, and at the restaurant one of the managers wanted to know where I got the dress as she thought it would be a great dress for her job - classy and understated. Keep in mind that I am 6'4" and weigh in around 210, with short hair and a mustache. There was no question in anyone's mind that I was a man, and there was no signs (to us anyway) of anything other than "huh" from anyone we interacted with. I will admit to having the dress altered to fit better - I don't have anything that would fill out the front of the dress, and my shape (wide shoulders and no hips) drove the required alterations. I do believe that dresses are more than do-able for those of us who have chosen to expand our clothing alternatives.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Today was my first day to wear a dress in public, actually the first time to really wear for more than a few minutes trying it on. It's the one I got and pictured 10 days ago; just reposting the same picture for convenience.

My wife thought it looked OK, but "Don't wear it to church." We took about a mile walk and met 5 people, but as it's freezing out, I had a coat on so it wasn't be obvious it was a dress rather than a skirt. (Also wore boots and socks, not the pictured sandals.) I really liked the open feeling around my middle; this could become addicting.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Jim
Good on you for adding another dimension to your clothing repertoire and the look is fine too.
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you wear a skirt in church with no problem, so why not the dress?
Please understand that this is not a theological question.
However, I am interested in how the church affects us and particularly our own wardrobe choices.
Steve.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:55 pm Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you wear a skirt in church with no problem, so why not the dress?
However, I am interested in how the church affects us and particularly our own wardrobe choices.
You're right about skirts to church. I've had no problem going to church dressed in a skirt with my wife. I'll likely do that tomorrow.

I didn't quiz my wife on why she said that. In the past, she has said she doesn't mind me wearing a skirt, but would be uncomfortable with me wearing a dress, so this was a positive development today. I don't want to push her too hard, so I'll respect her desire here.

My theory is what is in her mind is probably in the minds of many. A skirt isn't that feminine as there are kilts, saris and such for men, but we are not acquainted with the idea of men's dresses. Maybe I could show her some African pictures? Or find a dress like an ancient Roman toga?

I'm currently struggling with some depression. A dress is something new, fun and exciting, so it's therapeutic. I may tell my wife that and suggest going out to dinner (which is infrequent for us) in a dress.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Yes.

(I believe this has been discussed before).

People in Western Civilization may be somewhat more open minded to MIS-because of kilts-than to a man in a dress. To put it another way, there may be less cognitive dissonance regarding a man in a skirt than a man in a dress.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:55 pm Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you wear a skirt in church with no problem, so why not the dress?
I don't think I answered your question about church very well, Stevie.

Because my wife feels a dress is more inappropriately feminine than a skirt, a more formal situation where she is good friends with a number of the people there may make it harder to accept.

Also, our church is not a place where we want to draw attention to ourselves; I know some churches, at least for women, that is normal and expected.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Jim
Thanks for the reply,
As I see it, if we fail to give some compromise to our families and wider communities men in skirts will be even less likely to find more general acceptance. The "Church" will always be a big part of that for some people.
My background is Scottish Presbyterian so I have some experience. My wife does not admit our relationship at the church which she attends.
However, that is another story.
On the mental health front, I have tried to improve mine by allowing my hair to grow longer and that's a new dimension for me.
As a contrast the beard is still kept quite conservatively trimmed. Ha Ha
Take care and I hope the mood improves soon.
Steve.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I guess that while men wearing skirts isn't all that big a deal to most, men wearing dresses is seen by some as a bridge too far, that it's too much blending of femininity for men to be displaying. Well, that's uninformed opinion anyway.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Is it made of cloth? Can it be worn on the body? Does it fit?

If the answer to the above questions is yes, Then by all means wear it and make it work for you!

Clothes do not have a sex nor a gender they are an inanimate object they are not alive. (Or shouldn't be...)

Just my $.05 Worth.... :ugeek:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Regarding cognitive dissonance, could part of it be that a dress generally covers more of the body than a skirt? That a skirt cause less dissonance because it is smaller/covers less surface area than a dress?