Where did you first get the idea to wear a skirt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Where did you first get the idea to wear a skirt?

Post by weeladdie18 »

Another interesting story...this time from GerdG......It did make me think....I have changed my outlook over the years....
...But the World around me has not changed....the men in skirts are in communication with each other...................
but their number across the Western World are very small
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Jetblasted wrote:Great post, GerdG.
I especially like the Amerikilt with tights look.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

dillon wrote:
If I remember correctly the Amerikilt was designed as a Men's Skirt in Seattle and has become
a very popular male orientated garment......

It is unfortunate that the garment was called a Kilt as the design of the garment bears little resemblance to
the construction of the Traditional Scottish Kilt..............

However the Amerikilt is well designed and marketed specifically as a male garment...

Dillon's suggestion of wearing the garment with tights does reflect the Medieval Style of Male wear by Horsemen

I feel that by wearing our own style of.. Men In Skirts ....we can mix and match our style of clothes as we wish....
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

weeladdie18 wrote:
dillon wrote:
If I remember correctly the Amerikilt was designed as a Men's Skirt in Seattle and has become
a very popular male orientated garment......
weeladdie:
I think you are confusing "Amerikilt" with "Utilikilts". The Utilikilt was designed in Seattle and the Amerikilt was designing in Pennsylvania in the Philadelphia area soon after, I believe. Both are very good products and both companies are alive and well.
Dick
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Dick Ackerman wrote:weeladdie:
I think you are confusing "Amerikilt" with "Utilikilts". The Utilikilt was designed in Seattle and the Amerikilt was designing in Pennsylvania in the Philadelphia area soon after, I believe. Both are very good products and both companies are alive and well.
Dick
Thank you for your correction Dick ....worth noting there are two suppliers of male garments in a America
Men in Skirts are spoilt are spoiled for choice with male wear off the Peg......

I remember meeting one male English Hiker in a U.K. Youth Hostel , who had chosen this style of wear....

I was wearing my Traditional Clan Tartan Kilt at the time...

It is unfortunate that our chosen style of garment is limited by cost and availability and each of us rarely sees
another Man in a Skirt...out in the wild.........at least we are lucky to be left to explore our own chosen style of wear
Last edited by Uncle Al on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting format
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I find the origins of the cult of Men in skirts interesting......when we were boys we were taught to wear
trousers in England ....There was distinct difference in the 1950's between the Male in his shorts or trousers
and the female in her skirts.......If I generally speak of the older male , who is possibly now retired,
there was no thought of him actually dressing as a male and wearing a skirt out on the street........
It does seem that the Idea of a Man in a Skirt was suggested by the Fashion Industry in the Swinging Sixties
but the Idea was never promoted as an acceptable way for a male to dress.

There was generally no way that the male would wear a skirt before he became a man in the late 1960 's
This was perhaps when the young fully trained Male chose to explore the world of Men In Skirts..

It does seem that the Man in Skirts remained in his closet until it became culturally acceptable for him to
to explore the world of the Man in Skirts out in the wild....possibly when he was in his Forties in say
1980 s or 1990 s .....Perhaps the world of Internet Technology Communications helped this Generation to
advance their understanding of the world of Men in Skirts......Certainly this communication helped
younger males jump on the Band Waggon.......

Am I correct in suggesting that nowadays Young Men do not join our Male Fashion until they reach
" A Mature Age " .......?

....This logic would suggest that more Males will join the Men in Skirts for a longer period of their lives..........

So the size of the World Wide Man In Skirts Group will increase by a mathematical progression.........weeladdie
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I have had a thing for high heels since I was a teen.
Apparently as a toddler I would get into my mothers/grandmothers high heels.

I started wearing high heel pumps with pants and I just didn't like the look, so I tried skirts and fell in love.

the rest, as they say, is history.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

One step further

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I have been hoping to find a hiking group wearing kilts. There is a gay male nude hiking club, but that would not be for me. I am not one of them and probably wouldn't fit in. (Would that be discrimination?)

I enjoy hiking in skirts and do it alone a lot. I have met people on trails and had conversations with, who don't seem to notice, which is fine with me. It is rare to see other men hiking in skirts, but I have on occasion.
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

moonshadow wrote:All,

As the title says, I'm interested to know where you all first got the idea to wear a skirt.
No firm memory really; I am aware that I have always been envious, as apposed to jealous, that my female friends and relations could wear what they wanted to. Colours, fabric, style; the world is their oyster. They could look good and felt confident, I was stuck with drab, unisex, men stuff.

There are times, for instance when I'm lying under a truck fixing the transmission and heavy cotton trousers are the most practical and modest solution. Walking about on a summer evening with fresh air flowing about my thighs whilst wearing a skirt is another practical and enjoyable solution. I call to question that evolution did not design a gentleman's personal area to be permanently constrained in a clothed confined space?

Without actively seeking girly colours, fabric, style. I'm beginning to find the solution. :)
MyZen

Post by MyZen »

moonshadow wrote:All,

As the title says, I'm interested to know where you all first got the idea to wear a skirt. Now I'm not really looking for the kind of answers like "I've always wanted to since xxxxxxx"... No. I don't think anybody is truly born with the notion of skirt wearing. At some point somewhere in all of our past, the idea was implanted in us.

... Please, be honest... it's in the name of science!
New registration, in the name of science.

I took a sociology class and one of our assignments was to break a cultural norm. So I looked only for kilts, bought a cheepie on amazon, and away I went. Initially I wore in around the neighborhood and curing my weekend on-call shift at work, but then decided to wear it regularly, and buy more, because it was comfortable. I branched out and bought an aqueous from SkirtCraft recently as I couldn't find any other skirts that fit properly, now it's my favorite follow by a supper light tartan utility kilt from UTKilts. Now I wear them almost every day, kilts and skirts. Though a drop in temps chased me back to pants. Anyone got a good tip for leggings that are suitable to true winter weather and are comfortable above freezing?

I'm in a position where my decision on clothing are tolerated, accepted, and even applauded by a few. I figure that being in a higher position I can set the standard and expectation in a way that allows others to make this move if they choose without having to worry about repercussions in the workplace.

So, the idea was born out of comfort in the summer temps as a directed act of social deviance. It continues because I like it and feel that I am making it easier for others.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

MyZen, did you get your inspiration by seeing someone in a kilt :?:
K_Highlander

Re: One step further

Post by K_Highlander »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:I have been hoping to find a hiking group wearing kilts. There is a gay male nude hiking club, but that would not be for me. I am not one of them and probably wouldn't fit in. (Would that be discrimination?)

I enjoy hiking in skirts and do it alone a lot. I have met people on trails and had conversations with, who don't seem to notice, which is fine with me. It is rare to see other men hiking in skirts, but I have on occasion.
I have been hiking in skirts and kilts exclusively for two years. Only two other people in our hiking club has worn a skirt or kilt with me. One woman, one man. Have gotten questions and good comments from other hikers. Nothing negative from our club members. Some jovial comments, that I write off as "only coming from people who love me" (and even verbalized during a hike and received concurrence).

So you don't need to find "a hiking group wearing kilts", just sign up for a hike and deal with questions (if any).
Have fun on the trail!!
Ken
MyZen

Post by MyZen »

Grok wrote:MyZen, did you get your inspiration by seeing someone in a kilt :?:
Nope, needed to finish my sociology assignment on time amd couldn't think of anything other than grabbing one of my wife's dresses, she said no, but I'll buy you a kilt lol.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

This thread has been active since May last year....I would be interested to see if anyone can draw any broad conclusions from the input.
This morning I am going out to town, the sun is shining, so naturally I will wear a colourful summer skirt.
50 years ago , when we were in our youth , all the lassies were wearing summer skirts and a boy would not have dared to dress like a cissy .

Yesterday I visited the local museum again ....the female assistant complimented me on my attire....Colourful summer skirt worn with a male sports jacket.
How times have changed...........Has the female role in society has changed the male interest in his style of attire ?
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

Although skirts appealed to me at an early age, I didn’t start shopping for one until I wanted to impress my Miami sugar daddy back in the mid 90s. I thought he would think it looked cool at his pool. We never found one to my liking at the store, so I shelved the idea for about 20 years until about seven years ago I talked my wife into concerting two pairs of gym shorts that I still wear as skirts to this day. While I got busted a few times as a young child wearing my moms lingerie full slip, and always playing football I thought cheerleader skirts looked cute, I didn’t consider CD until I entered into a long term super close friendship with an older man. While it took twenty years before I actually started wearing skirts, that was the first time I actually persued the purchase of a skirt, and it was to impress my older lover. TMI, but that’s the bare truth. Here’s a photo I took just now. I’m not good at starting threads here in this rather tight-knit community. It’s an A-Line skirt that I’ve had for years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.