Some follow up thoughts on a derailed thread....

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Some follow up thoughts on a derailed thread....

Post by dillon »

Big and Bashful wrote:There is an answer for spent fuel, the fuel can be re-processed into fresh fuel for reactors, it has been done in the past. I was surprised to hear that the British re-processing plants at Sellafield are now being decommissioned. As far as I can gather there is only one reason this is happening, economics. Currently it is more economical to mine fresh uranium out of the ground, the wholesale price for fresh uranium is lower than the cost of re-processing "spent" fuel. This is ludicrous, when I completed my nuclear course 11 years ago one statistic that stuck in my head was that at the rate of extraction and use we have maybe 50 years worth of useable known uranium stocks on the planet. So when the oil runs out, so will the uranium if we carry on the way we are going. Rather than vitrifying spent fuel we should be reprocessing and getting every last useable watt out of the fuel we have.
Of course there is a downside to reprocessing, as there is to refining and enriching fresh fuel, the processes involve nasty chemicals, waste products and cost money and energy themselves, so whatever we do there is a downside somewhere!
Then there is thorium, lots of thorium, maybe three times as much as uranium, can't be turned into plutonium, can be turned into fissile reactor fuel. From memory India is made of the stuff! Three times as much as uranium, hmmm, so 200 years then the reactors are empty of fuel, kind of glad I am not immortal!

We only have one little rock to live on, billions of us, all breeding like people (or rabbits), still the few rich people making the decisions do not need to care what the rest of us are up to as their money breeds and their air con. works!

Bitter? who me? Hell yes!

On that happy note, I have a bottle of white wine chilling, lumps of meat thawing, Sun outside (yes, even on Scotland!) and a comfortable skirt on as well as gas for the barbecue, and today's nuclear emergency (exercise) was successful. Let the cremation commence!
Wine is fine, but liquor is quicker!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

I'll start by saying that this has been a wonderfully meandering post (just how I like them). We have detoured into nuclear energy and bbq's already, where do we go next :-)

I think my biggest issue with the "pro-life" camp is the hypocrisy. Pro-life, to me anyway means just that, that you support life. All life (all lives matter right?) It seems counter productive to me to bring a fetus into a world that will eventually take his or her life back by means of our destroying our habitat, poisoning our food and and water supply, and denying any means of affordable health care coverage, to say nothing for the odds of being involved (drafted) into some nuclear or biological war. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

This is something that I can't get my head around - how a loss of (not yet formed / viable) life through abortion is such a fundamental issue for a particular section of society, yet the same group seem much more willing to accept deaths caused in other ways. I can't remember whether it was Hitchens or Dawkings I was reading when the point was made of the strong correlation between pro-lifers and advocacy for capital punishment.

In full acknowledgement that we are talking here about generalisations (for which there will always be exceptions), many pro-lifers will also be climate change deniers / sceptics. The Times of London has reported over the last week or so about the huge impact that poor air quality has had on people in the UK - leading to 1,000's of preventable deaths each year. The reporting is firewalled, so I won't try to link - but here is a report that gives a flavour of what was being reported. Disclaimer - there has been a lot of pushback against the science and how it has been reported.

Thousands of Americans die in the US each year due to gun violence and to suicide. I think it is fair to say that many pro-lifers are also going to be strong advocates of the 2nd amendment. There is strong evidence that removing 'easy suicide' options reduces the number of deaths. A great case is where the UK got rid of town gas (which at the time was the leading method of suicide) - leading to a 30% reduction in suicides. NPR article here.

Finally, the US has an unenviable record when it comes toautomotive-related deaths (particularly pedestrians). My guess is that many pro-lifers are going to be small government, anti nanny-state, anti-regulation and probably aren't going to take well to legislation that may (slightly) increase the cost of cars or increase penalties for DUI, speeding, not wearing seatbelts etc.

Whilst we are on the subject, a couple of interesting articles. It's ok for me, evil for thee.. Abortion is Immoral, Except When It Comes to My Mistresses

it's impossible for you to post a single comment with out resulting to derogatory comments about the president.

I remember my US family being horrified about a UK show called Spitting Image, which didn't hold back in painting Reagan as a bumbling, nuke-obsessed fool. My aunty spoke of the fact that the office of president should be held in high regard, even if you don't like the incumbent. This seems to have been forgotten years later when there was all sorts of stuff plastered over her FaceBook page about Obama. Now that particular bogey man is out of the way, her page is currently littered with anti-muslim / anti-immigrant memes interspersed with scripture (typical example below).

moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Divide the populous
Multiply their fears and paranoia
Subtract their rights
Bring down our nation

Simple arithmetic. I've got nothing left.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

As for the meme...

... do people even check the constitution before they come up with that crap?

It says in the document that no religious test shall be prescribed to hold public office.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

FT444, how can you knock Spittin' Image? It was a show without equal. It lampooned everyone, and I mean EVERYONE - no favourites or exceptions. Do you know who its biggest fans were? The people being lampooned. HRH, Maggy Thather, politicians, Royal Family, film stars, it didn't matter - they were avid watchers every weekend it was shown and proud to be on the show. The caricatures and puppets left know doubt as to who they represented. Bring back Spittin' Image that's what I say. I think that there's as much a need for such a show now as there was then. So what that they showed Reagan as a bumbling fool? How do you know that Reagan didn't enjoy the show as much as anybody? Any way, anybody in public office or in the limelight for whatever reason is automatically a prime candidate for sarcasm and lampponery. I can just imagine how much fum they would have with Trump - he is an obvious candidate and I bet he'd love it. :!:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Agreed, Dennis - but my aunt had a different view (at the time). Her point was that the office of the president (rather than the individual) should be revered and above being lampooned / mocked.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

FranTastic444 wrote:Agreed, Dennis - but my aunt had a different view (at the time). Her point was that the office of the president (rather than the individual) should be revered and above being lampooned / mocked.
But that leaves the nagging question of how we keep a mendacious, vain, petty, ignorant, vindictive, and laughably buffoonish President from permanently damaging the moral, ethical, and intellectual character of the office he inhabits? IMHO there is but one answer, which is to show that the office MATTERS to the American People...communicated through the Constitutional exercise of IMPEACHMENT.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Maybe we can set things up so that Anyone can be President who absolutely, positively DOES NOT want the job. And is not a politician, or lawyer. Preferably a tradesman or farmer. Maybe in 2022 President Trump can get a bill passed like "The US National Presidential Lottery" which drafts a President. Maybe from a pool of honorably discharged military veterans, aka Heinlein's 'StarShip Troopers.' :mrgreen:
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Darryl wrote:Maybe we can set things up so that Anyone can be President who absolutely, positively DOES NOT want the job. And is not a politician, or lawyer. Preferably a tradesman or farmer. Maybe in 2022 President Trump can get a bill passed like "The US National Presidential Lottery" which drafts a President. Maybe from a pool of honorably discharged military veterans, aka Heinlein's 'StarShip Troopers.' :mrgreen:
I believe that history will reflect that Donald trump did not want to be President. He wanted to ALMOST be President, because that would have secured his Moscow building deal and perhaps numerous other deals he would have then pursued. In fact, I think history will reveal that being elected President was the WORST thing that ever happened to Donald Trump...because it WILL leave him with a legacy of disgrace, and MAY send him to prison. Had he narrowly lost the election his business future would have profited, and he would be unapproachable, legally, for the rest of his days. I can just imagine his cursing the people who voted him in as rural-state rubes.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-hous ... ujkgotKWxA

Held my tongue at the request of moderators, but this just makes me SICK. Pathological vanity/mendacity/insecurity. This is a disgrace beyond all. Does he have no concept of the cost and danger of rearranging a fleet at harbor? Or does it just not matter? For God's sake, Trump, THE MAN IS DEAD...Let it go.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

How f***ing petty and Trump moves even lower in estimation rapidly reaching subterranean level. It's likely that he didn't even ask for this and was put forward by some over-sensitive high naval officer thinking that that was what Trump would want. I'm not up on what has transpired between the two but the Senator is dead let him R.I.P..
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Trump did not request that the ship be moved But as usual the left jumps at any opportunity.

By the way the Mueller report. Of course there was no chance that there was any political bias on the part of those who prepared the report.

After all Mueller is a registered republican .

The 16 attorneys who did all the research of them 3 have no registered party affiliation. The other 13 are all registered Democrats,

There wasn't a single republican on the primary staff. of course they were all unbiased. even though on a collective basis they had reported contributions to democratic candidates in excess of $60,000

So they all eat sleep and drink Democrat but they were totally unbiased in their work

Now if you believe that I have this bridge that I am trying to sell
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

dillon wrote:https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-hous ... ujkgotKWxA

Held my tongue at the request of moderators, but this just makes me SICK. Pathological vanity/mendacity/insecurity. This is a disgrace beyond all. Does he have no concept of the cost and danger of rearranging a fleet at harbor? Or does it just not matter? For God's sake, Trump, THE MAN IS DEAD...Let it go.
What you have here is a very leftest news company trying there best to add to the hate the President campaigne.

Do the facts agree with the report or did the reporter just decide that it was the white house that did this?? I do not believe any of the news media and will not go along with their BS.

Just my .02 worth!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Just a point the ship is named for his father the Admiral not the John the senator
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:Just a point the ship is named for his father the Admiral not the John the senator
Actually, there are three John McCains in play here, two of which (grandfather and father) were admirals and the later-senator was also Navy and a decorated combat veteran. Clearly there was salt-water in the blood of that family!

The original namesakes of the vessel were the two admirals but the senator and fellow veteran was added later, and the senator's wife christened the ship with her husband's mother looking on. Tradition means something more in navies than it does elsewhere.

As far as the current president asking that the vessel be "removed from view", that can get sorted out from various paper-trails independently from various self-serving media "outlets" ("outfalls"?). The sad thing about that is that it won't show up until history books are written long after the lot of us are long gone. For me, this goes into the "we don't know yet" file, but the mere fact that it's believable causes me grief.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!