Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Gusto10 wrote:that neighbour is darn nosy and narrow minded I did keep out sight of possible. I had an encounter with that neighbour before, while sitting in my house she entered without ringing or asking permission while I was wearing a skirt & thights. At that time also bulging eyes, but no comments. I did consider it as an invasion of my privacy.
If it had been my house she would have been up before the Magistrate for illegal trespass and home invasion. It would have incurred at least 90 days in the lock-up!! :x
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
Gusto10 wrote:that neighbour is darn nosy and narrow minded I did keep out sight of possible. I had an encounter with that neighbour before, while sitting in my house she entered without ringing or asking permission while I was wearing a skirt & thights. At that time also bulging eyes, but no comments. I did consider it as an invasion of my privacy.
If it had been my house she would have been up before the Magistrate for illegal trespass and home invasion. It would have incurred at least 90 days in the lock-up!! :x
The nearest police station is a 30 minutes drive... Other means are far more effective, like chats with the positive neighbours.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Another one of my mini kilt/skirts, walked into town for shopping and to beach front for coffee.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

If it had been my house she'd have got a shock as I sometimes to walk around sans habille [0] and she certainly would have got an eyeful!!!!

[0] When not expecting any visitors.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

After a long break, I'm here again.

I went away on holiday in January to Tasmania with my wife (who disapproves of skirts, unfortunately). When the shorts supply ran out, I had to get some additional clothes for the bottom half, and, because it was still nicely folded up, accidentally pulled what probably was the only skirt half-way down a uniformly coloured pile of shorts in Big W (the super-sized version of Woolworths - they tried to have branches in the UK, but they all closed a bit before the time when the UK Woollies went bankrupt).

When next morning I came to put on what I thought was my new pair of shorts, I found myself in front of my wife in the middle of our motel room holding up an unexpected short hiking skirt, with built-in shorts - the weather was glorious outside, and she so wanted to go out for a long walk/hike that she reluctantly consented to me wearing them. And that was the first day of five when the skirt got a quick wash in the evening, ready for the next day. It was so good! The Nut at Stanley, shopping in Smithton, various walks around Edith Creek, Deloraine, Low Head and Georgetown, then across to Bicheno on the East Coast, and a full day exploring the Freycinet National Park. No noticeable reaction anywhere except for a few looks from the Chinese visitors who were there en masse for their Chinese New Year holidays ... but "travel broadens the mind".

My wife's gone off to visit her sister over the current Bank Holiday and I'm alone, so I decided to go out for a walk today through Gorleston (just south of Gt. Yarmouth) and along the beach. Weather cold and blustery, with passing showers. After walking right across the town and visiting several shops, and then about an hour walking along the strand-line, I decided to return along the cliffs back to the car. On the way I passed the Gorleston Cliffs Bowling Club (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.56392 ... !1e3?hl=en) - about 20 middle-aged and elderly locals, playing earnestly, all in trousers (male and female) except one tall man, probably in his 50s or 60s, standing talking to two others while other players were changing ends, who was wearing a rather formal grey skirt, just below knee-length, 4 or 6 box pleats; it looked like the bottom half of an office skirt-suit, but over-long for most women. Because of the hedge separating the bowling green from the pavement where I was passing, he couldn't see my skirt, but I feel it would have been much more suitable for him - about the same length as his, also with 4 box pleats, but in a fairly heavy demin. But I wasn't going to exchange!

So I went back to my car, passing back through the town, and then home to the warm and dry.
Familyman34
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Went to the surgery this morning. Saw the Doc, then had to wait in the waiting room for a blood test. While I was waiting, a guy came in wearing a kilt. As it happened, he then came and sat next to me, so I said "Snap, except I'm wearing a skirt" (knee-length A-line denim). "More comfortable" he replied, then we chatted about general things.
Later, I was in a cafe in Weston-Super-Mare having lunch while the car was being serviced. Looked out of the window just as another guy with long blond hair and wearing a kilt went past.
To see one other man in a kilt/skirt is rare enough, but to see two in the same day is even rarer. Perhaps things are starting to change.
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

We’re currently traveling in Texas, New Mexico, and soon to Colorado. My son graduated magna cum laude in mechanical engineering from TAMU yesterday. I’ve been skirted 50% of the trip so far. Thursday I was in Houston in a long olive dress with a tee shirt over top, and we spent most of the day at the Museum of Fine Arts for a Van Gogh exhibition. Events on Friday and Saturday precluded skirts, but today we traveled from Bryan TX, to Hobbs, NM, and I was in a khaki Royal Robbins stretch nylon outdoor skirt all day. Got a few odd looks at a Bucky’s pitstop along the way, ordering coffee and kolaches, and a few from oil workers in the hotel this evening, but otherwise nada. I’ll be trousered tomorrow for the chill of Carlsbad Caverns, but intend to remain skirted until we fly back from Denver.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Two weeks ago I managed a half day kilted. MOH goes to a computer club in Monday mornings. I need to build some more exercise into my routine, so I intend to take a walk Mondays. That morning I set off towards Tranent, a 3 mile uphill hike followed by a steep descent towards home. The weather being unpredictable, I had on my lower half a Tartanista value black 5yd acrylic kilt with black hose and Merrel trekking sandals. Up top. a long sleeve shirt, Peter Scott wool jumper and blue Regatta rain jacket. As often happens, the sun came out and I ended up rather damp on the inside!

Unfortunately, once home I had to shower and change as we had “official” things to do.

Although unhappy with my skirts, MOH has said kilts are ok (bolsón black or Tartan with”proper” kilt hose, as this is manly). So we shall see how this develops.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Kilted again for most of today. Although going to an official meeting in Edinburgh, most of the day was to be spent on errands around the city. So I set off with uniform top half and black kilt and hose below. (Trousers were rolled up in my backpack ready for the meeting)

I drove to Duddingston, parked by the Loch and walked through Holyrood Park to the sound and light shop to sort out a problem with some kit I bought. Since it was cloudy and breezy, I had on my lightweight official fleece. By the time I reached the Parliament I regretted the decision. It spent the rest of the day in my bag!

Coffee and chocolate chip shortbread from the little kiosk near the top of the Canongate fueled an hour’s work in the Waverley Mall before taking a soup and baguette lunch for £5.70 from the café.

Quick change in the public toilets and off to 121 George Street for my meeting. 2-1/2 hours later I was relieved to be able to don the kilt again! On my way to Varsity Music to purchase a conductor’s stand, I passed a little shop at the top of the Mound displaying utility kilts. I had to pop in and try one on. It was very comfortable, with adjustable snap fasteners and side pockets. However, at £50 I think I may need to bring MOH and hopefully persuade her this is a good compromise between Black kilts and hose, which can get uncomfortably warm in the summer, and short skirts, which are definitely frowned upon. With luck, she may agree to being seen with me in a grey or brown utility kilt.

Shopping completed, I walked back to the car, which reported 20 deg C. Needless to say, the air con went on immediately! I had packed an orange corduroy skirt and matching boat shoes, decided that as my next errand was to deliver our uniforms to the cleaners, I would not risk adverse comments. I was so glad I took that decision. The cleaners was in the Sainsbury’s near my former office. Walking back to the door, a voice called my name, and I looked up to see an old friend, a CofS minister. I May have got away with a skirt in front of him, but not with the two former office colleagues who came along five minutes later!

I’m currently typing this in IKEA café wearing a blue and green check shirt and green Hawick RFC jumper above the kilt. This is how I shall go to band and arrive home, hopefully to a warm reception.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Air conditioning at 20C ! Tis fortunate you don't live down under.

John
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

In Santa Fe NM tonight. Went to dinner in the long tie-dye by prAna with a black Betabrand travel hoodie over a camisole. I like that top for its pockets and super long sleeves with over the hand cuffs with thumb holes. The hood is good but seldom used.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

First post-op outing Sunday for coffee and crossword. Denim midi, trainers and no tights. Second was a simple walk in the neighbourhood yesterday and similarly attired. NE Scotland was almost balmy and the riffled skirt sensation was almost sublime. Conversations completed the satisfaction. Plan for today, more of the same, nothing grand or elaborate, just out.
Steve.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Steve it is good to see that you are on the mend and getting out and about. :thumleft:

Keep healing and getting the exorcise you need to get back 100%

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Steve it is good to see that you are on the mend and getting out and about. :thumleft:

Fred
What evil spirit has to be driven out? ;) At least your auto-correct has humor.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

beachlion wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:Steve it is good to see that you are on the mend and getting out and about. :thumleft:

Fred
What evil spirit has to be driven out? ;) At least your auto-correct has humor.
I hate it when it does that!! :evil: :evil: