Why do we call it a shopping mall?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Why do we call it a shopping mall?

Post by moonshadow »

Because you dont shop at one....

You shop at...

TheMall! :lol:

:hide:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why do we call it a shopping mall?

Post by Stevie D »

Shopping malls are awful, corporate places which I avoid as far as possible. I much prefer to get my groceries, clothes and other items at ordinary 'proper' shops or market stalls.

We do have a shopping mall in Sheffield - Meadowhall - built on a huge site formerly occupied by steel works and factories closed in the 1980s as a result of Thatcher's obnoxious policies. Needless to say, it gets known as 'MeadowHELL'.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

We have a mall but it is closing down. Most all of the businesses have moved to new locations or have gone out of business. They say they are going to tear it down and build a "Shopping Plaza" there which will be open air and separate shops.
I hated shopping there as did most of the people in the area. Who knows what the Plaza will bring.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

The mall is becoming a relic of the eighties, aside from those who feature almost exclusively high-end retailers. Then shopping becomes a status symbol, not about common sense economics, but about wretched excess, about immediate gratification without regard to cost.

I don’t shop at malls, being one of the online consumers who have precipitated the demise of the institution. But I can’t help considering the parody of Menotti’s one act opera “Amahl and the Night Visitors.” In this case “A Mall and the Night Visitors.” Instead of guiding the three kings to the Christ child, they are led off for last-minute shopping on Christmas Eve, only to be greeted by a security guard who informs, after a grand oratory about the visitors’ mission “Mall’s closed, kid. Come back on the 26th.”
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

The 'Mall' concept works well here with our generally wretched weather. Putting a roof over a group of shops is far cheaper than erecting a geodesic dome over the entire country, which would be the alternative!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I like the National Mall much better. It's open and green.

This is the mall I am used to. I was very disappointed when the other kind came out and they turned out to be just big buildings.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I have always called them shopping complexes, although the term equally applies to the psychology of the people in them.
When I visit a city, the stores that interest me are never in Malls.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Jim wrote:I like the National Mall much better. It's open and green.
Yeah, but it doesn't have a GNC, JC Penneys, or GameStop. How can you call that a mall? :D
Ralph!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Jim,
Splendid aerial view of Washington DC's Mall. We have nothing remotely like it here, of course. I spent some time in London however, where they have their historic Mall running Westwards from Trafalgar Square to Buckingham Palace, past Horesguards Parade and St James's Park &c. and which is frequently used as a Royal processional route.

It is totally devoid of any sort of retail outlet, of course and very green

I submit two aerial views, one of which gives a great look at London showing most of the important landmarks therein and their relationship to each other.
Rs Jason Hawkes London view.jpg
Rs London Mall looking Westwards.jpg
Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Ralph wrote:
Jim wrote:I like the National Mall much better. It's open and green.
Yeah, but it doesn't have a GNC, JC Penneys, or GameStop. How can you call that a mall? :D
It's a REAL mall, not one of those new-fangled pretenders!
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

The nearest shopping mall of any size near my place back in the UK is Merry Hill - often known by the name of Merry Hell :-)