New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

Post by Grok »

STEVIE wrote: The other pity is that it really makes it more difficult not to be cynical about similar ventures.
Steve.
Unforetunately. :cry:
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Is the difference between their advertising (100% polyesther) and the label (95% polyesther and 5% spandex) not enough to send it back and get a refund? In my book this is lying.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The only thing that one should know is:

BUYER BEWARE!!

All else is crying over lost money, I do not do business with Etsy at all...
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

In fairness, I have done some buying on Etsy with no problem.
However, that was not for clothing and it was UK based sellers.
In the UK the fabric specification may very well have been in breach of the Trade Descriptions Act but as I said US law is beyond me.
Steve.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Freedomforall wrote:So I am attaching links for pictures of the skirt. The material has a very athletic feel to it. It lies nothing like the skirt pictured on Etsy.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/158619975@N04/4sCy3w
Here is the inside so you can see the stretchy type material it is made of.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158619975 ... ateposted/
I am also attaching the link to the item.
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1606695378
Sadly can't view these - don't have a flickr account AND NOT GOING TO GET ONE !
The etsy transaction can't view that one either - gotta login to view - nuts I am not there to buy or sell !
What part of LOOKING FREE do you not understand - I am just visiting ?
And a lot of stuff my browser is set to capture the ads - NO I am not interested in viewing the ads - Just the factual material elements.

Regarding that athletic feel probably a nylon spandex composite (maybe aka elastane or other trade name).

It is amazing how garments can be made seamlessly - think of a body suit with what appears to be no way into or out of it like it was
simply painted over the skin (search - zentai suits very stretchy very sheer)
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Hi FFA,

The second "flickr" link informs me that I need to log in -- which is impossible.

As far as the external texture goes, that can be done by various techniques including wire-brushing to achieve a "suede-like" appearance.

On the hanger, the thing looks pretty lifeless. You might put a post (perhaps temporary) in Pics and Looks of it on so we can get a proper indication of what went wrong, although there's nothing we can do about the colour.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

beachlion wrote:Is the difference between their advertising (100% polyesther) and the label (95% polyesther and 5% spandex) not enough to send it back and get a refund? In my book this is lying.
I totally agree and pointed that out to the seller Her response was the spandex was there for my convenience. I am not quite sure what that means.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Freedomforall wrote:
beachlion wrote:Is the difference between their advertising (100% polyesther) and the label (95% polyesther and 5% spandex) not enough to send it back and get a refund? In my book this is lying.
I totally agree and pointed that out to the seller Her response was the spandex was there for my convenience. I am not quite sure what that means.
What spandex means is the garment is suitable for multiple sizes plus or minus a few centimeters/couple of inches from the intended size.
This even though the garment is already fitted for the labeled posted size. A cousin to one size fits all ! LOL !

Now with truth in labeling I have something else I would like to sell you - cash is preferred - no credit card terms and conditions.

With etsy the customer service refund act is not as enforceable and generous as that of eBay and PayPal - in any event you are free to critic your
purchase and to warn others of lacking customer service parameters - "wake up sellers" !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Grok wrote:Looks like urbanprairiegirl offers a couple unisex patchwork skirts.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/urbanprairiegirl
That is one of my dream skirts. I spoke with her and she is very supportive of men wearing skirts.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

r.m.anderson wrote:
Freedomforall wrote:
What spandex means is the garment is suitable for multiple sizes plus or minus a few centimeters/couple of inches from the intended size.
This even though the garment is already fitted for the labeled posted size. A cousin to one size fits all ! LOL !

Now with truth in labeling I have something else I would like to sell you - cash is preferred - no credit card terms and conditions.

With etsy the customer service refund act is not as enforceable and generous as that of eBay and PayPal - in any event you are free to critic your
purchase and to warn others of lacking customer service parameters - "wake up sellers" !

Here are the pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

The skirt I received does not even look like the skirt on Etsy.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Freedomforall wrote:The skirt I received does not even look like the skirt on Etsy.
It sure doesn't !
This is not a skaters skirt - but a simple mini-skirt with a lining.
Has a nice drape rather floaty - and no where near the A-line wide hem.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

r.m.anderson wrote:
Freedomforall wrote:The skirt I received does not even look like the skirt on Etsy.
It sure doesn't !
This is not a skaters skirt - but a simple mini-skirt with a lining.
Has a nice drape rather floaty - and no where near the A-line wide hem.
Same with skirts on eBay. A search of “skater skirts” produces anything and everything. Especially from those Chinese eBay stores. You’d have to be a damn fool to trust their description and sizes. It’s like they call an item by every vaguely related term they can find, hoping people will look. If Trump wants to slow imports, he should forget tariffs and develop official US sizing standards, then require every imported garment to comply with them or be rejected. Of course it might affect his own line of foreign suit imports. Or his daughter’s line of clothing.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...