Animatronics at the Airport

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Animatronics at the Airport

Post by Uncle Al »

This is cute & funny :D

Gargoyles

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Animatronics at the Airport

Post by crfriend »

The unmistakable silhouette of Denver International Airport immediately grabbed my attention, but a trash-talkin' gargoyle? That's just bloody brilliant!

DIA is actually quite rife with artwork; it's a bit of a gem in the airport world. I've been there many, many times and have usually enjoyed it.

"Would you like to take me home?" // "Damn straight. I'm working on the details as we speak."

Unfortunately, I think the footage was a ruse.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Funny, but a bit sinister, especially when one watches the 'conspiracy theory' clip that follows it.

Nice for Denver to have square miles of desert to build airports from scratch. In these congested islands to get an extra runway in you need to demolish lots of existing houses (Dublin) or a whole village (London Heathrow)

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:Funny, but a bit sinister, especially when one watches the 'conspiracy theory' clip that follows it.
I didn't see the "conspiracy theory" clip afterwards, the YouTube/Google preferences being quite a bit different for me than likely for many (on mine, the auto-play was going to show "A plane runs out of fuel at 41,000 feet, and here's what happens next").

There is much conspiracy theory surrounding DIA, but that's partially because much of the populace of the USA is easily duped by such. It's merely a large airport that can serve in a military capacity if need be for heavy transports, and the runways are long enough to safely land a (now long-deprecated) Space Shuttle. Runways of such length are useful in "hot, high, dry" areas, of which Denver can be for some of the year. The underground trains are merely ways to move people and baggage from terminals to the main concourse easily as is done in Atlanta (which has no conspiracy theory around it that I know of). DIA originally sorted a truly state-of-the-art baggage-handling system that was a bit too much state-of-the-art and which was an initial spectacular failure.

Personally, I just laughed my arse off over the spectre of a trash-talking gargoyle. I do not scare easily.
Nice for Denver to have square miles of desert to build airports from scratch. In these congested islands to get an extra runway in you need to demolish lots of existing houses (Dublin) or a whole village (London Heathrow)
Much of the US Southwest is scrub-land, with huge reserves owned by assorted governmental agencies. DIA was built, I believe, with the assistance of the US military on US government-owned land. It was intended to replace the ageing Stapleton Airport (which I've also flown into and out of several times) and when DIA opened, Stapleton was decommissioned and is now subdivisions which show little evidence of the history in aerial views.

Yes, building these sorts of things in densely-developed areas is always painful and deeply disruptive to lots and lots of people. At least here, we still have space.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Saw that on FB some days ago. We will be departing the Denver airport in mid-May, though I don’t imagine it will still be there at that point.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Simply great fun.
Steve.