Rain rain rain rain rain rain rain.....

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Rain rain rain rain rain rain rain.....

Post by moonshadow »

Rotate your tires....

... if you're a man...

.... dress to annoy people...

.... you are a fluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke of the Universe....

...you have no right to be here...

...and whether you can hear it or not...

...the Universe is laughing behind your back...

oooooohhhhhh.....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Beachlion, rain is predicted for next week. But the weather guru's tend to guess a lot... So contrary to March 3rd, 1986, a day at the beach in swimming trunk's won't be possible unless using adequate rain protection.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Gusto10 wrote:Beachlion, rain is predicted for next week. But the weather guru's tend to guess a lot... So contrary to March 3rd, 1986, a day at the beach in swimming trunk's won't be possible unless using adequate rain protection.
Why worry about rain protection if you are at the beach you are going to get wet any way. :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
Gusto10 wrote:Beachlion, rain is predicted for next week. But the weather guru's tend to guess a lot... So contrary to March 3rd, 1986, a day at the beach in swimming trunk's won't be possible unless using adequate rain protection.
Why worry about rain protection if you are at the beach you are going to get wet any way. :lol:
Exactly. One day in the Netherlands around mid-summer, it started to rain just after noon. In 15 minutes, the beach was deserted. I knew the rain was short lived so I stayed. I had the beach for myself and walking in the rain was a very nice experience. Only a few came back after the rain stopped and the sun returned.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Why worry about rain protection if you are at the beach you are going to get wet any way. :lol:
I have always been a highly analytical guy, and one of the things I have never been able to understand is the prohibition on swimming in the rain. I can understand electrical storms, but a simple rain-shower? It's not like you're in the game to stay dry!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

My mother wound down the car window while we were holidaying in Kerry and asked a local about the weather.......'Ah yes, Ma'am, there'll be showers alright, but no RAIN !'
Exactly one year ago today we woke up to This:
80 Cm. Snow in Ireland, March 1, 2018.jpg
Dismayed by the failure of Trump's summit with Kim Jong-Un and fearful of the next lot of lethal fallout we got our shelter delivered and buried on time
Tank for polytunnel arrives Rs.jpg
Rs Polytunnel and tank manhole.jpg
Rain run-off from polytunnel is collected underground and pressure-pumped to a lever-operated faucett just visible through the plastic. This will nurture the future forest of MOH.
( The guys delivering the pineapple tree on the lowloader took it away again saying there was insufficient headroom in the tunnel for it) :roll:

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

crfriend wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:Why worry about rain protection if you are at the beach you are going to get wet any way. :lol:
I have always been a highly analytical guy, and one of the things I have never been able to understand is the prohibition on swimming in the rain. I can understand electrical storms, but a simple rain-shower? It's not like you're in the game to stay dry!

And water isn’t really a very good conductor of electricity. Emptying the pool of swimmers, I think, is simply the same as bringing the little leaguers off the field at the first clap of thunder. During the too-frequent hurricanes here, the electrocution deaths of those wading in flood water are mostly a result of stepping on down power lines.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Tom, I commend your resource conservation ethic, though I always imagined Ireland as a land of more than enough rainfall to sustain most anything one could want to grow sans irrigation. What prompted you to create the cistern?
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Dillon,
Last year's four-month Summer/Autumn drought. It didn't rain here from June to October and for the first time that I remember all our lovely raspberry buds shriveled up and not a raspberry was harvested. The ground water table dropped out of sight and the usual second-cut silage harvest didn't materialize, so most of the stock farmers have had to buy in imported fodder. Our local little road developed longitudinal cracks which are still there and dry land appeared under our lake boathouse in our grounds for the first time also, making launching our little fun rowboat impossible.
Rs H.W. lake water very low..jpg
I row my private single sculling boat on our local reservoir (Blessington, Co. Wicklow), but last year for much of the season the water was down about four meters, making launching from the thick mud way below our normal slips well-nigh impossible. Curiously enough the chain of River Shannon lakes, which snake down the middle of the country maintained water levels throughout and I had several sailing outings OK there, but rowing regattas held on reservoirs had to be abandoned.
Rs Blesso water low 1.jpg
The sunken tank idea was MOH's and when she gets set on a course of action I stand to one side. :cyclops: You can't put guttering on a polytunnel, so rain run-off is channeled under the gravel to the tank, which has a sunken pump to provide water pressure at the tap by the internal raised beds, still under construction.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Tom....I have recently spoken of a Military Style Ceremony outside a village garage....This ceremony took Place a hundred feet away from the
Village Pond....Some claim it to have been a Roman Age Dew Pond....16 feet deep and lined with clay and pebbles.

The village lay on chalk and flint..The water table was sixty feet higher than the pond ....All the water table drained into the pond for cattle and horse
drinking water....There were old records that state that the pond was often dry in the summer....The mud was dug out of the pond and spread on the land
by the farm labour....Cakes were baked and the village had a tea party in the pond....

All the village lads left school at twelve years old and went to work on the land....When we moved to the village in 1951 ...the villagers lived in 60 cottages
and they only had 5 cars between them. ....All the tradesmen had motorcycles but the out lying village labour rode their bycycles 6 miles a day
to work on the farms.....

The Farmers Sons learnt to drive the Tractors at 8 years old . The ex Military Willys Jeeps were used for Farm and Game Keeping Management...
Old farm horses were retired out into the fields....
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I have spoken to gentlemen who grew up on the family farm....The cattle were driven six miles to market with the dogs going on ahead to block the open gateways
and side roads.....After the market auction , the vendor assisted the purchaser by driving the cattle to the railway cattle trucks .

Mother then drove the horse drawn farm waggon into town to take the farmer and his family home .....All the kids had been involved in cattle driving...

It is hard to believe that my mother paid five bob a week for our cottage ....or in modern terms ....one pound per month....

There was an old village pump close to the pond ....so that was the way the water ran.....We had a community well in our garden which collected all the
rain water off both sides of four terraced cottage roofs....

Milk was collected every morning in a can ...straight out of the cows and into a cooler....Now the farms work 500 cows being milked three times per day.
I was educated to learn my three R 's in the school with seven other pupils in the school...all gone now ...only two kids travel on the school bus.....

Anyone who knows anything about Vehicle Engineering must understand how the computer controlled agricultural tractor is operated with its diff . lock on a
four wheel drive system.... Hydraulic sensors on the three point hydraulic linkage on the plough...The power take off controls the speed of the
rotating machinery on the rear of the vehicle......Hydraulic valves control the front loader system with a fork lift or bucket attachment.....
The whole vehicle can find its track across a field with its own G.P.S.....I am sure a gentleman named Dennis can explain how the whole system works
and how derivatives of these vehicles are used by the British Defence Agencies...weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
My mother provided me with a Birthday Suit....that keeps me dry when I go skinny dipping in the rain....I have been wearing it for over 70 years .....L.O.L.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, having holidayed abroad for quite a few years now we go to areas that are subject to tropical storms. They happen, and hour or two of torrential rain and then the clouds disperse and the sun comes out. I have enjoyed swimming in the pool during such a rainstorm although sometimes the sheer volume of shower water can make the top of the head a bit sore after a while. I wasn't the only one swimming in such conditions and there was no attempt by staff to clear the pool, although most of the guests did so of their own volition.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

dillon wrote:...And water isn’t really a very good conductor of electricity.
Pure water isn't, but it only needs a trace of salts to become very conductive indeed.  Even rainwater becomes conductive after contact with the ground.
Emptying the pool of swimmers, ...
Theoretically, if the water was more conductive than human tissue, it should act as a shield and by-pass most of the current from a nearby lightning strike - but I wouldn't be prepared to bet my life on that.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote:Theoretically, if the water was more conductive than human tissue, it should act as a shield and by-pass most of the current from a nearby lightning strike - but I wouldn't be prepared to bet my life on that.
It'd have to be vastly more conductive that human tissue, and even then it's likely that a fair bit of current will pass through the human simply by the laws of electricity. It'd also depend on precise circumstances, e.g. where the strike was, where the bottom is, where the person is, &c. In other words, it'd be very tough to predict an outcome with any degree of certainty.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!