To Kilt or not to kilt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

To Kilt or not to kilt?

Post by STEVIE »

Dust wrote
“Yeah, the baggage and questions are why I've never worn a tartan kilt, and probably never will. Not even the one of the tartans that anyone can wear. It's also got me looking to move away from kilts in general, despite all the good aspects of it.”

This is actually a bit of a pity. The Kilt really can offer the majority of advantages of going skirted without the “stand-out” factor.
In reality, there is only one real rule and that is that there are no rules!
Yeah, sure you will have heard all about the so-called Kilt Police and all the Traditions which must be upheld on pain of eternal damnation. Worse still, you may just encounter some comment regarding your education and parentage being brought into question.
If you feel able to go public in a skirt and ignore the reactions around you there is no substantial reason not to do the same with a Kilt.
Just keep it civilised and believable, not a pantomime parody. The rest is at your own discretion and the only limit is your creativity.
Today, in Scotland, the vast majority of Kilt outfits are worn in conjunction with international football or rugby team colours. That is the extent to which the modern Scots have not enslaved themselves to the strictures of the Kilt. I don’t believe that any of the fans have been apprehended by the Kilt police for their style choices on any of these occasions either. Their task would be very easy as it the most recognisable style of dress in the world.
Now this begs a question. How many café patrons started their skirted journey with a Kilt or a kilt?
Alternatively, would you feel more comfortable going public kilted as opposed to skirted?
I only make one distinction the Kilt is the modern tartan or plaid Small Kilt, the Great Kilt is another subject.
The kilt is the UK or any other male garment in a kilted style.

Steve.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: To Kilt or not to kilt?

Post by Big and Bashful »

My first public skirtery was in a kilt, then the thought of a skirt that didn't weigh half a ton, had pockets and did not cost hundreds of ££s started me thinking outside the socks. Then I discovered Midas and skirts made for men, that helped me a lot
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

The kilt is the best skirt a man can wear. That is my opinion. I started wearing kilts, had a period with mainly skirts but for the last 15 years kilts have been my favorite choice.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have a kilt and the fact that I haven't any of the other accessories wouldn't stop me wearing it out and about with opaque tights or socks. MOH bought it [0] and I just find it too heavy to wear for more than an hour or two. But then I have offered to wear it out if she would accompany me and she has refused to so far. i don't know what to read in that. Steve is right in that the majority of times a kilt is worn is at a Scotland football or rugby match and the accessory would be the team shirt or even toplessness. The Kilt Police are strangely silent about such occasions. So no reason not to wear a kilt along with matching top and other accessories if that floats your boat.

[0] I don't know what it cost but it certainly wasn't cheap.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

I have several kilts, all of which are home made in light weight fabric that I wear every day. I wear them with golf shirts and T shirts, no other items of traditional kilt wear. I even wear training/sport shoes/sneakers (whatever you call them in your country) ( in South Africa we call them "Takkies") and sport socks.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

GerdG wrote:The kilt is the best skirt a man can wear. That is my opinion. I started wearing kilts, had a period with mainly skirts but for the last 15 years kilts have been my favorite choice.
The tartan kilt is my popular choice also.

Most people know what a kilt is and treat you right.
Most people are curious about it, if anything at all is said. Occasionally There is the bone head that gives comment.

Kilts are great most of the time. There are times where a regular skirt is better. Denim for dirty work. Long skirts for cold weather. Lighter weight skirts for hot weather and lounging around the house.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
kiltedterry

Post by kiltedterry »

I'm with Melsav on this.
Kilts don't have to be 8 yard 16oz tanks; a box-pleated kilt from lighter fabric is my choice for autumn and winter.
And for spring/summer or around the house even lighter-weight PV or lighter wool without all the internal construction like a kilt skirt.
I also don't wear any of the accessories that make up a full blown highland outfit, just the kilt as a replacement for trousers which I very rarely wear.
Its a shame more men haven't yet discovered the joys of wearing skirts; not just the extra ventilation and comfort but also the ability to wear colourful "leg wear".
Terry
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

kiltedterry wrote:I'm with Melsav on this.
Kilts don't have to be 8 yard 16oz tanks; ...
Its a shame more men haven't yet discovered the joys of wearing skirts; not just the extra ventilation and comfort but also the ability to wear colourful "leg wear".
My opinion as well.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

The main thing is not to limit your freedom of choice unnecessarily.
Reject nothing out of hand be that, Kilt, kilt, skirt. dress or pink tutu if you so wish.
Steve.
kiltedterry

Post by kiltedterry »

Stevie,
Agreed, freedom of choice is paramount.
I didn't mean to imply that kilts were the only skirts to wear, its more that I am relatively new to skirt wearing and opted for kilts to start with as the easiest way to go.
I will be wearing my first kilt skirt soon..a small step I know.
Terry
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I have a few Kilts, From my family tartan to utility kilts.
There are alot of non traditional kilts that are made of lighter materials.
Hiking kilts and skirts are also coming along well.

A skirt that sneeks in as half looking is kilt is pleated tennis skirts.
Them skater skirt. Quick look at a guy wearing one can be mistaken for short kilt.
Thing is unless people are looking for it, They dont notice and dont care.

I'm wearing skirts alot more, I realy like my long skirts as there just comfortable as hell.
I'm having leg swealing and rash probs were jeans and heat bother me.
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

kiltedterry wrote: I didn't mean to imply that kilts were the only skirts to wear, its more that I am relatively new to skirt wearing and opted for kilts to start with as the easiest way to go.
I will be wearing my first kilt skirt soon..a small step I know.
Terry
A big step, I would say. As you start kilting you are shifting from twin-tubes to one tube.

My first venture out and about was in a Utilikilt. Psychologically I was acutely self conscious, though more physically comfortable below the waist than I had ever been before.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Grok wrote:A big step, I would say. As you start kilting you are shifting from twin-tubes to one tube.

My first venture out and about was in a Utilikilt. Psychologically I was acutely self conscious, though more physically comfortable below the waist than I had ever been before.
My first time out skirted was also in a utility kilt. I started a forum thread about it here. My feelings were very much like your's Grok.
Over time, I've found that I prefer to wear 'standard' skirts rather than utility kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Really, skirts are the most drastically different change you can make from traditional male garb.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

shadowfax wrote:
Grok wrote:A big step, I would say. As you start kilting you are shifting from twin-tubes to one tube.

My first time out skirted was also in a utility kilt. I started a forum thread about it here. My feelings were very much like your's Grok.
Over time, I've found that I prefer to wear 'standard' skirts rather than utility kilts.
Again I'm sort of the odd ball here.
While Most here have gone from kilts to skirts.

I went from skirts to kilts.
I started skirting at a time, several years just before we got dial up Internet 3600 baud rate .

So my first skirts were store bought.

I didn't even know what a kilt was till some time in late highschool. I didn't even consider them as a option, for two decades. Then in 2015 when the desire to skirt around my wife and publicly grew. I got into kilts. My wife at least tolerates kilts to a point.

Kilts are more accepted, but seem to put you in the spotlight, you get more attention.

Depending on the skirt seems like you get less attention, I think people notice, but don't know how to react or what to say to a guy in a skirt.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.