A missed opportunity

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

A missed opportunity

Post by Charlie »

I was wandering around a motorway service station trying to find a mobile phone signal, when one of the shop assistants asked if I was OK. He was late teens / early twenties and suggested I try outside where the signal might be stronger. I went outside and he followed me then, to my surprise, said "I like your skirt". I was totally unprepared for this, being more interested in connecting to the internet, so I replied that is was a kilt (denim Union kilt). "Are you Scottish?" he asked. "No" I replied, "I just like wearing them". End of conversation and he went back inside. I followed a minute later.
Later I realised that this would have been a good opportunity to chat about men's skirts and get a younger man's take on them.

Charlie

I never did find a decent phone signal. I wanted one to be able to check the car which was connected to a 50kW charger at the other side of the car park, to see when we'd have enough electrons to take us the last 60 miles to home. We had more than enough after 30 minutes.
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A missed opportunity

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Charlie,
I'm not so sure that you missed altogether.
You obviously left the guy with positive thoughts so well done.
Besides, hindsight is too easy.
Steve.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

I think being seen is just as if not more important than the conversation. The more people that see men in skirts, the more people will consider it normal.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
KellyRain

Post by KellyRain »

Have to agree that you set an example that could have him searching for an option for his fashion. Probably made an impression.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I think you missed the opportunity, Charlie. And I think we all often do. When people seem interested in skirts, whatever kind, we are sometimes that surprised that we rather hurry away than go into a conversation. Of course it is fine to be seen and thereby, hopefully, be good examples to others. But to some, not just seeing that obviously it is possible for a man to wear a skirt might be enough. They might also be interested in advice regarding how to start, how it is to wear a skirt in public and so on.
And by all means, never forget to smile and be polite. Men in skirts are nice people, aren't we?
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

At an event once a few years ago, I was wearing a nice lined plaid Woolrich mini with black tights. An older couple took a curious interest in my style but seemed confused - the husband anyway - and implied I was kilted. I gently educated them on the difference, but found it just confused the fellow to the point that he clammed-up, contemplating, I suppose, that a hulking rough-edged male had chosen this attire. I counted that as a success, however, because I really wasn’t in a mood to explain myself. At any rate, he departed with a new image over which to mull and ruminate.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
jmiller842
Distinguished Member

Post by jmiller842 »

I honestly think there was not need for any more conversation. Yes, I'm wearing a skirt. Why, because I like wearing them. Enough said. By making the encounter as matter-of-fact as possible, you've implanted the notion to him that guys can wear skirts. And do so every day. Entirely normal behaviour. This goes a long way to help us make male skirting mainstream.

Jeff
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

I can't say it was totally missed. I am thinking that just being seen is a lot. I also think that saying "because I like wearing it", or something like that, IS a good answer. People have to know that this is simply a different type of clothing, nothing more.