Do folks notice or not?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Do folks notice or not?

Post by weeladdie18 »

I am going to lighten this thread.....I wore my traditional Scottish Kilt to The Culdrose Air Day
a couple of years ago. In the car park a gentleman proudly said to his friends...
" I have not seen the Kilt since I wore the Kilt to my wedding...."

The gate was guarded by a Marine in His Combat Uniform and trained killer's weapon in his arms.
He smiled when he saw me approach him...." Do you know Fort George ? " I asked
The reply in a Scottish Accent was " Aye "
" If I let you play with my sgien dubh , will you let me play with your gun ? " ....I continued.....

we both laughed...............................That is what is called a good crack....

I did not tell him about my games with a 120 mm cannon...... weeladdie
Keystone

Post by Keystone »

If the oddity stands out enough, it will be noticed. It doesn't matter if it's an awesome car or someone dressed in clothes outside society’s norms of the boring and mundane. Growing up in a rural area in the 70s and 80s, people stared at guys with long hair. The next super freaks were guys with earrings. Today, guys with long hair and earrings can work in most places of employment ( save the New York Yankees). People seeing a man in a skirt are making snap judgments based on their prejudices.
Imaginations run wild while they process what they are seeing. Much depends on the distractions and the astuteness of the on-looker. Wearing a tux at a tractor pull will also generate stares.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I am going to have some skirts made with cotton Scotch plaid fabric. Somehow it will be easier to answer, "it's a kilt" rather than "it's a skirt." I have never been asked or noticed except by a few and the comments have been positive I am out in public quite often, but it may be more comfortable while wearing a "manly kilt." I won't know until I try.

I wear skirts while hiking and sometimes my thighs chafe. I will try two counter measures:

A) Wear Jockey Skimmies under my skirt or kilt to prevent "chub rub"

B) Cut off some leggings to wear under my skirt or kilt to prevent "chub rub"
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:I am going to have some skirts made with cotton Scotch plaid fabric. Somehow it will be easier to answer, "it's a kilt" rather than "it's a skirt." I have never been asked or noticed except by a few and the comments have been positive I am out in public quite often, but it may be more comfortable while wearing a "manly kilt." I won't know until I try.

I wear skirts while hiking and sometimes my thighs chafe. I will try two counter measures:

A) Wear Jockey Skimmies under my skirt or kilt to prevent "chub rub"

B) Cut off some leggings to wear under my skirt or kilt to prevent "chub rub"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best leave those leggings untrimmed (cut) least some unexpected unraveling occurs - and someone starts to pull your strings ! LOL !
Consider bike pants or compression shorts to curb the chub rub - with a knee length skirt (kilt) should be concealed enough if that is a concern.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Scotch plaid? Sounds alcoholic...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Yes, they notice after all.

It has been a typical grey New England (modern) winter day here, the sun struggled to get much more than 24 degrees above the horizon, and it was chill and cloudy all day -- "grey".

Getting dressed this morning, I deliberately opted to dial things up a notch: teal green dress shirt, purple velvet waistcoat, black tights, and simple red calf-length skirt. Nobody noticed at work -- or at least nobody said anything -- but when I got to my local for some beer and food this afternoon got greeted as "Mr. Christmas" for the colour combination and thanked for "lighting up the room". This I got a chuckle out of, mainly because I have a dim view of the Holiday Season in general (too many rubbish memories from childhood) and the usual "Male Drab" clothing is about as colourful as a bucket of coal. But at least I seem to have brightened a couple of lives who were also suffering through a "grey day" in a modern New England winter. My rig even gathered a couple of "Thank you" comments. (I hope others will take up the torch. We need more bright colours this time of year!)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

I was at my local beer serving establishment yesterday... I am a regular there, everyone knows me. Anyway, the weather in Michigan has been in the 40's, so I've been wearing either a skirt or shorts everyday. So yesterday I am consuming a large mug of my favorite amber fluid, when a girl I know sitting next to me says, "Shorts? Really? Aren't you cold?" I'm wearing shorts and black pantyhose, she's wearing a skirt and tights. I said, "You're asking me about shorts while wearing a skirt?" Good point she says. She notes that she has seen me in the bar in a skirt many times, but for some reason the shorts seemed more summer to her than winter, while a skirt was an all season garment. Meaning it wasn't the fact that I was wearing a skirt the day before, that seemed okay, but shorts in the winter seemed off in her head. Not sure I am explaining this right... The long and the short of it is that she has seen and noticed my skirts, never said anything positive or negative, it's just okay with her... So folks notice. But it seems they notice off season shorts more. And she never mentioned my legwear.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I get what you're saying , Mike. But I would have thought that tights with shorts would be more noticeable anyway than tights with a skirt. The latter is what I would call "normal" or "usual" whilst the former, even though I have seen tights/shorts an odd time, is still a bit "strange" to me, hence I would notice more. But then that's just me.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Well in this instance I don't think the hosiery was even a concern, I've worn openly there and everywhere in my life for over 15 years. I think I'd cause a commotion if I showed up with BARE legs.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Mike wrote:I was at my local beer serving establishment yesterday... I am a regular there, everyone knows me. Anyway, the weather in Michigan has been in the 40's, so I've been wearing either a skirt or shorts everyday. So yesterday I am consuming a large mug of my favorite amber fluid, when a girl I know sitting next to me says, "Shorts? Really? Aren't you cold?" I'm wearing shorts and black pantyhose, she's wearing a skirt and tights. I said, "You're asking me about shorts while wearing a skirt?" Good point she says. She notes that she has seen me in the bar in a skirt many times, but for some reason the shorts seemed more summer to her than winter, while a skirt was an all season garment. Meaning it wasn't the fact that I was wearing a skirt the day before, that seemed okay, but shorts in the winter seemed off in her head. Not sure I am explaining this right... The long and the short of it is that she has seen and noticed my skirts, never said anything positive or negative, it's just okay with her... So folks notice. But it seems they notice off season shorts more. And she never mentioned my legwear.
Yeah, I'd notice the shorts and find them kind of "out of place" in winter, too. And I'd also find them a bit jarring with tights under them, just because that's not very usual.
Daryl...
skirts4me
Distinguished Member

Post by skirts4me »

It got to 41° here yesterday, but then we use °C, so it was a bit warmer than 41°F.
Good weather for skirts.
Shalom
Steven
KellyRain

Post by KellyRain »

So lately I have been going out more often in my skirts. I targeted a few different areas. 1. A central fashionable area. 2. Somewhere local around my home area. 3. Some outlying areas outside central Tokyo. Two different skirts, Yohji Yamamoto Kilt 70cm long, pleated all around with three belts. Second was a black kilt, knee length. Both with mostly black clothing.

1. Central Fashionable Areas: People notice. Especially around Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku and Omotesando. These are all fashionable areas and people tend to people watch here a lot more openly. So I noticed some guys noticed with curious looks, some with less friendly looks and some just notice as it was just one more unusual fashion sight in the area. Ladies were more attentive. Got some warm friendly looks, a couple outright flirtations, some dismayed looks and younger girls looking curiously at me.

But vast majority of people didn't notice at all. That I could see.

2. Local Area. Some curious looks from locals. A couple disapproving older ladies. Some friendly glances in the bakery I stopped in at. On the street around the train station, no notice at all. People are rushing here and there and just didn't seem to care or notice.

3. Outlying areas. Went to Mitaka about 25mins out of central Tokyo. Got a lot of looks on the train. Good, very negative, curious and concerned looking. I was with my wife so probably made the elder watchers very confused. 30 something ladies were again very warm in their glances. Guys seemed confused more than anything. Outside on the streets not much notice.

Now to be fair, my fashion is not very ordinary even without the skirt. Lots of black (which is common in Tokyo) but a little alternative looking. Add being non-Japanese and I get noticed more often regardless of what I wear. Add a little unusual fashion and I stand out. So the initial attention may not even be the skirt.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

KellyRain wrote:So lately I have been going out more often in my skirts. I targeted a few different areas. 1. A central fashionable area. 2. Somewhere local around my home area. 3. Some outlying areas outside central Tokyo. Two different skirts, Yohji Yamamoto Kilt 70cm long, pleated all around with three belts. Second was a black kilt, knee length. Both with mostly black clothing.

1. Central Fashionable Areas: People notice. Especially around Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku and Omotesando. These are all fashionable areas and people tend to people watch here a lot more openly. So I noticed some guys noticed with curious looks, some with less friendly looks and some just notice as it was just one more unusual fashion sight in the area. Ladies were more attentive. Got some warm friendly looks, a couple outright flirtations, some dismayed looks and younger girls looking curiously at me.

But vast majority of people didn't notice at all. That I could see.

2. Local Area. Some curious looks from locals. A couple disapproving older ladies. Some friendly glances in the bakery I stopped in at. On the street around the train station, no notice at all. People are rushing here and there and just didn't seem to care or notice.

3. Outlying areas. Went to Mitaka about 25mins out of central Tokyo. Got a lot of looks on the train. Good, very negative, curious and concerned looking. I was with my wife so probably made the elder watchers very confused. 30 something ladies were again very warm in their glances. Guys seemed confused more than anything. Outside on the streets not much notice.

Now to be fair, my fashion is not very ordinary even without the skirt. Lots of black (which is common in Tokyo) but a little alternative looking. Add being non-Japanese and I get noticed more often regardless of what I wear. Add a little unusual fashion and I stand out. So the initial attention may not even be the skirt.

Let me give you a heads up NINJAs don't wear kilts -OR- skirts ! LOL !

Interesting very interesting how the foreign establishment reflects on
someone wearing equally foreign clothing.

Everywhere I go wearing a tartan pattern skirt it is automatically mistaken
that I am Scottish or from there a parts - think KILT and nothing more.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !