Favourite shoes

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Favourite shoes

Post by FranTastic444 »

Since moving to the US I've struggled to get men's shoes to fit me. In the UK I always went with a 45 Euro, which worked the majority of the time (sometimes I could get away with a 44 from Clarkes). The big problem I've had is with shoe width - really struggle to get shoes wide enough and also get problems with shoes being too tight over the bridge of the foot (even with laces slackened off). Looked at Long Tall Sally in the past, but they did not seem to have stock for the designs I liked. Contemplated getting men's Chelsea boots to go with future outfits as I think I'll have more success at getting something like that style to fit me than I will with women's shoes.

I've got a pair of knee length boots, which I love- but they are PU rather than leather so they get pretty hot and the material is not breathable. Bit tight, but fit better if I take the sole liner out. Fine for use in the house, but I think they would hurt if I wore them out all day.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

If you shop on Amazon and click deep enough through Clothing and Accessories, Women, Shoes, and Style (I think), you'll get to a point where you can search for shoes by size and width.

I used to worry about buying shoes online but Amazon is very good with returns. No restocking fee, no return postage, you just print the return label, throw the shoes in the packaging they came in, and drop them off for shipping. I return about half the shoes I buy and it's never been a problem.

Just make sure the item is flagged, "Fulfilled by Amazon," as other merchants who just take orders through Amazon may not be so lenient.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Fran I really like those boots. I wonder if you can find them in leather?
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Freedomforall wrote:Fran I really like those boots. I wonder if you can find them in leather?
Yes, I've seen a very similar design in leather, but at a price of $200-$250 rather than the $45 I paid for PU. If I were skirting in public I'd definitely make the investment in a leather pair.

Been looking at Dr Marten boots this pm. I used to wear 6-hole DM boots and shoes as a teenager. Can't believe how they have expanded their range these days. Love the look of the canvas ones, but (typically) they do not do my size! Did a bit of searching on painting DM's - might be something worth considering for the future..... I have a couple of pairs of (LL) Been boots that look good with the skater skirt and tights.

FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Caultron wrote:If you shop on Amazon and click deep enough through Clothing and Accessories, Women, Shoes, and Style (I think), you'll get to a point where you can search for shoes by size and width.

I used to worry about buying shoes online but Amazon is very good with returns. No restocking fee, no return postage, you just print the return label, throw the shoes in the packaging they came in, and drop them off for shipping. I return about half the shoes I buy and it's never been a problem.

Just make sure the item is flagged, "Fulfilled by Amazon," as other merchants who just take orders through Amazon may not be so lenient.
Yes, I've done this but haven't yet purchased anything. My last purchase splurge was when my wife was out of the country (I'm very, very rarely on my own, except for when I'm at work). Still really struggling to work out which size to go for that equates to a Euro45 - guess I will have to order 2-3 different sizes of each style to make sure. The number of options on Amazon really dwindle when you get to 12-13US (which I think is about a 45 Euro equivalent???)
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

I really like those too. The clogs from Sanita are some of the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.

Look at there flower styles too.

http://www.sanita.com/
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Block heel court shoes with wide straps

Post by shadowfax »

I bought a pair of block-heeled court shoes with wide straps from Marks and Spencer
MnS_Block_Heeled_Courts.png
They're really comfortable and the straps help keep them on my feet. :)
They are also available in nude patent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shadowfax on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Block heel court shoes with wide straps

Post by crfriend »

That's great if one has small feet. In UK sizing I need a 12 (which in US sizing is a whopping 14). It's almost impossible to find anything attractive in that size.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Block heel court shoes with wide straps

Post by shadowfax »

crfriend wrote:
That's great if one has small feet. In UK sizing I need a 12 (which in US sizing is a whopping 14). It's almost impossible to find anything attractive in that size.
I feel for you. :(
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Long Tall Sally got up to an EU 45 (US 13) for most of their shoes and the odd pair go to a 46.
Just picked random mary janes that do a 45: https://www.longtallsally.com/shoes/sho ... 16AC076RED
Although UK based, they do ship abroad.

Luckily I'm a size 41 so I can get a lot of wonderfully priced shoes from charity shops and ebay. I did splash out on brand new new sandals recently from Amazon (when they were on offer lol). They are really comfortable. I've even ordered another similar pair.
P1130620sc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

SkirtsDad wrote:Long Tall Sally got up to an EU 45 (US 13) for most of their shoes and the odd pair go to a 46.
According to the size-mapping I'm a Euro 46, so I'm on the very outside of the range. I know Long Tall Sally very well (surprise, surprise) and they're one of my favourite suppliers -- and that's where I got my pair of courts as well as my wedges. However, recently, they've had precisely nothing that even remotely tickled my fancy. (I don't like flats or anything that gets above the ankle, and for some oddball reason cannot abide the thought of sandals on me.)
Luckily I'm a size 41 so I can get a lot of wonderfully priced shoes from charity shops and ebay.
Blessed be the fortunate.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
brennk

Post by brennk »

My favorite shoes are Tieks ballet flats. I discovered these about a year ago and now have 5 pair. They are unquestionably the most comfortable shoes in my closet.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

brennk wrote:My favorite shoes are Tieks ballet flats. I discovered these about a year ago and now have 5 pair. They are unquestionably the most comfortable shoes in my closet.
Do you wear these with hose or barefooted?

BTW I found your web site interesting. :)
brennk

Post by brennk »

shadowfax wrote: Do you wear these with hose or barefooted?
shadowfax - I actually wear them barefooted almost 95% of the time. Unlike other flats I have, they are much more comfortable barefooted. I think the man reason is that the leather is so soft and supple that they slide around with hose, but barefooted they mold to my feet like gloves.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Ok, these could just be my new favourite boots :-) and they have leather soles.
P1140135scr.jpg