Teachers

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Teachers

Post by denimini »

Hmmm, looks pretty flat to me.
cobb_lr52.jpg
It is so flat that on the Hay Plains, pictured, one can see the curvature of the Earth - Damn, I just contradicted myself!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:It is so flat that on the Hay Plains, pictured, one can see the curvature of the Earth - Damn, I just contradicted myself!
Ha!

That's a wonderful photo, Anthony, likely one of my favourites from here. It shows just how stark things can get, and also shows a classic in its environment!

Save for the lack of vegetation, I might be able to compare that to central Montana. After going through there by train I could definitely see why the place is called "Big Sky Country" -- it's because it's nothing but sky for 180 degrees horizon to horizon and is so flat that if not for the curvature of the Earth they could have laid the rails using LASERs. It's humbling to watch the rails converging at the horizon for an hour, then go 'round a gentle curve, and then watch them converge back again. I never thought a curve in the mainline could be so exciting!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Imagine getting a car wash from one of those passing ROAD TRAINS* !

*Double Triple Quadruple bottom semi-trucks
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

denimini wrote:Hmmm, looks pretty flat to me.
cobb_lr52.jpg
It is so flat that on the Hay Plains, pictured, one can see the curvature of the Earth - Damn, I just contradicted myself!
When I put a straightedge to the horizon, it confirms my impression; the center is lower than the edges. It curves the opposite direction from what the spherical earth model would predict.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote:When I put a straightedge to the horizon, it confirms my impression; the center is lower than the edges. It curves the opposite direction from what the spherical earth model would predict.
That's down to barrel-distortion from the camera lens.

Perception is an odd beast. One of the strangest ones I personally experience is when I'm at sea with no land to speak of in sight -- when in that situation, I frequently perceive that the boat I'm on is in the bottom part of a very shallow bowl and where the horizon appears higher than the gunwales of the boat. It's utter BS, and I know it, but it's still somewhat disconcerting.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Far from being disconcerting, I submit my ultimate pic. of a 'horizon' or 'infinity' swimming pool. To say it was a fine day would be an understatement. Zero wind, Solstice meridian Sun, about 78 degrees up and hardly a ripple to the horizon.

Location: Triangulate between two SW Turkish headlands, Kaunos and Fettiye, the third being the S. tip of Rhodes (Greek) and you'd find us. We're about 25 miles from any land. The water was about 23 deg Centipede and a mere 874 meters deep, so even our 6'5" first mate (Left in pic.) couldn't reach bottom!

Tom
Rs. Med Infinity Pool.jpg
P.S. I have a couple of times been out of sight of land where the 8-meter waves all round WERE well above the gun'l. No photos as it's no place for a domestic camera.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

moonshadow wrote:You will also note on the first photo, there are three periods for male dress all situated on one small rock at the top of the world...

The man of the past,

The man of the present,

and the man of the future....

Can you guess who's who?
Are you folks holding a "Rock Festival " ?...............weeladdie