Shocking how history has changed

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Shocking how history has changed

Post by Freedomforall »

I was just reading a post by one of the members about being on holiday and enjoying wearing skirts. Can you imagine if people from the 15th century visited us?! I think they would be shocked at what has transpired. I wonder what they would think that many of us have to "sneak" around to wear clothing that was perfectly normal for them. Would they think we have gone mad? What would they say to us? It seems so nonsensical that we can't just wear what we want without even thinking about it. I know that many here have been able to evolve and don't even think twice. That is wonderful. However, it probably did not begin that way, hence Skirt Cafe. Often society digresses more than it progresses.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Shocking how history has changed

Post by crfriend »

Overheard this evening in my local establishment: "Oh. Fathers' Day. I guess that means we have to do something for men." (The whole comment dripped with contempt.)

This was entirely likely spoken by either a lesbian or a third-wave "feminist" (it's hard to tell the difference) but which set my teeth on edge to the point where I fought to simply stay quiet. It certainly wasn't a comment from a straight woman with a proper dad.

If this is where society in these here parts is headed I'm glad that I don't have all that much time left on the clock. "Fsck that noise."

I ate my dinner, downed a single Guinness (an oddity that last bit), and bolted for home.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Yet another digression of society. I read last year that Mother's day sales were second only to Christmas.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Carl my wife is a proof reader/technical editor. She is what I call a grammar Nazi. I use that term lightly because it is a very good thing. You two keep me in check! She also is very much like you in that she expands my vocabulary. Your thoughts on skirt cafe have become the highlight of our nights!

So thank you,

DJ
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

It is perhaps worth noting that Medieval Man wore simple tunics...At some time in History the Noble Men took to wearing
tight fitting hand stitched cloth tights . ...This was suitable garment for riding on horseback.....The idea of the lower class
of peasants wearing fancy clothes came later.
The concept of two legged garments came when the young boys in their dresses were trousered for school, work or war.
The female was traditionally a lower class of human and stayed at home in her long skirts and dresses.
When the female did a mans work in WW 11 production lines she was paid less than her male counterpart......

Perhaps it is the traditional mother who dresses her son as a man in trousers out of respect to her husband.....
I am wondering if this is a European gender battle for superioritory of the man in trousers.

Medieval man would certainly be confused if he saw a "man in skirts " entering a ladies fashion store to buy himself a skirt to wear.
............weeladdie.............
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Slippery slope - it's all down hill from now on and men will come off worse, we will come in second place or not at all...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Freedomforall wrote:Carl[, Y]our thoughts on skirt cafe have become the highlight of our nights!
If that's the case, may I humbly suggest getting out more? :lol:
So thank you,
Thanks. Every little bit, I think, helps. One way or another.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Men are already in second place, never mind headed there. Increasingly parents are requesting girls for their offspring. MOH and daughter breed cats and the females are the favoured ones as they can be bred from. The males are only used for stud and most males are neutered and sold. :(
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Dennis that sounds like a setting for a factual story about the demise of the male species.
Last edited by Freedomforall on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

FFA, if you change "fictional" for "factional" then you'll be nearer the mark. There's nothing fictional about what has, and is, happening to the male species.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

In the past due to wars there were fewer men than women.
As to the breading of cats, at farms preference is given to cows, bulls are only used for reproduction and bull fights in Spain and Southern France.
As John Gray wrote in his sequel to "men from Mars and women from Venus", there is just 1 man needed for 10 women to maintain mankind.